RainX - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2018, 01:08 PM   #21

Trailer: 2018 EScape 19 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I'm not a fan of RainX either. I've used glass wax for years with very good results. It even helps fill the minute scratches in the glass that distort the clarity over time. They used to use this stuff all the time but nowadays everyone seems to be using an ammonia based product like Windex. Use this glass wax on the windows in your home and you'll be quite pleased at the result. Use it on bathroom mirrors and the fogging will also be greatly reduced.

Attachment 32412
I agree about GlassWaX. I began using it back in the 70s. It then seemed to disappear from the market. It is now available again, and nothing I have ever used to clean car and boat windows and smaller home windows and mirrors works as well. No streaking as is always the case with ammonia based washers. I had to order it on line as I could not find it in any of mny usual haunts.
djdrummond@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 02:41 PM   #22

Trailer: Recently sold '97 Airstream, looking
I have a big trip coming up where I will be towing our trailer about 4000 miles, so it occurred to me to research what others are using to thwart those pesky bug that like to stick to the front of the pickup and the front of the trailer. I quickly got to a Corvette club and their discussion of "love bugs". There was lots of suggestions and "things tried" but no real solutions. This lead me to a Porsche Club with similar results, but it did leave me to a "truck" website and the recommendation to use lanolin based products: Two Tips To Prevent Bugs Sticking To Your Truck Grill - Caravan and Truck Parts

So, searched the web and found this on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Lubricant-Cor...V87842DTWYNDZJ

A 12 oz aerosol can was only $9.75 with free shipping so I ordered a can and will use it on my up coming trip. I'll let you know the results when I get back.
thombiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 03:08 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
I tried glass wax on my bathroom mirror at home and it did not work well at all. Rain X works well for 3 days and then I must reapply.
James Gang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 03:13 PM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
with RainX, its real important that the glass be /very/ clean prior to application, and that you buff it on really well, not just smear it on and let it dry.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 03:23 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
with RainX, its real important that the glass be /very/ clean prior to application, and that you buff it on really well, not just smear it on and let it dry.

Wouldn't you save money by not buying RainX and using your energy to clean the glass of bugs?
Old 07-04-2018, 03:28 PM   #26

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Thombiz
Might try it on half the front of the truck and trailer, it's hard to tell if a product helps if you don't have a control.

I found cleaning the bugs off at the end of each travel day helps.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:31 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Turtle Wax Bug and Tar works. Read the instructions.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:34 PM   #28
Site Team

properly applied, rainx causes glass to be water repellent. I've only ever used it on windshields. it actually says not to apply to any surface other than glass.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:35 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Turtle Wax Bug and Tar works. Read the instructions.
thats basically paint thinner.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:59 PM   #30

Trailer: None now
Living in lovebug territory we have tried all the tricks.

The way we found that works best is to keep a good coat of wax on the trailer and truck. I often refresh the leading edges to make sure they are slick. And with lovebugs at least remove them within 48 hours. Even with the wax if they get moist the acids in their bodies can etch metal and a lot of paints. If your vehicle gets covered with them an easy way to remove them is to throw an old sheet or towel over the affected area and hose it down and let it soak. Then using a good cotton rag and water with a small amount of soap added they should come off easily.
Worked good on the way back from the Escape rally too , we collected quite a few insect souvenirs at times.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:31 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Bow to Stern seems to work pretty good. When I tried to put masking tape on to outline my new hatch, it wouldn't stay on for more than about 2 seconds. I had recently applied BTS to the whole trailer maybe a week ago. Bugs still squash but wash off easily.

BTS advised me to try Acetone to remove. Alcohol didn't touch it. Soft Scrub a little. Will see how Acetone does. I'm a bit worried about sealant sticking when I install my hatch.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:33 PM   #32

Trailer: 2012 E19
Zep floor wax should make the bugs easy to remove. It used to be called Red Max. Plenty of FGRV owners have used it with good results. The trailer should be cleaned well before application.

Thanks for the mention of Glass Wax. New to me but sounds interesting; I think I'll order a bottle to try. The inside of a windshield is challenging to keep clean.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:01 PM   #33
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Thanks for the mention of Glass Wax. New to me but sounds interesting; I think I'll order a bottle to try. The inside of a windshield is challenging to keep clean.
You're welcome Mike. One caution however on using the glass wax on the inside of the windshield. It works very well, but you apply it, let it haze, then rub it off. In the process it leaves a little white powder/dust. Put a large towel down on the dash before buffing it off.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:20 AM   #34

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
We have always used Aero 303 instead of wax on our Escape. Last year, just before a 3,000 mi. trip that took us through bugs and pollen, I did an additional application of 303 to the trailer front and leading edges generally. When we got home, our usual washing with Dawn in a bucket of warm water took all the bugs, gunk, etc. off. The only additional work was a bit of paint thinner to take road tar off wheel well surfaces.
Not scientific (no controls to compare), but the pragmatic conclusion for us is, Aero 303 works.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:08 PM   #35
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
BTS advised me to try Acetone to remove. Alcohol didn't touch it. Soft Scrub a little. Will see how Acetone does. I'm a bit worried about sealant sticking when I install my hatch.
Acetone is the primary ingredient of nail polish remover. Might try a bit of that before buying a big container.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote