Replacing Brakes - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2019, 10:03 AM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Replacing Brakes

Looking into replacing the brakes on the camper, have about 40k on them. Recently did the bearings and noticed the brakes are completly covered with rust and in one case the rear seal went so all the road dust is caked on. After reassembling I hooked up and took a ride to check the brakes. Going to max on the controller I can feel the brakes but far from locking up, which it used to do.

Going to attempt putting some test miles on it to clean up the shoe to drum connection then try adjusting them, still a good deal of meat on the shoes. If that doesn't give me enough braking I'm thinking of replacing the brake assembly.

Has anyone done so? if I recall correctly the wires are very short, Ild like to know how you cut and connected them together.

Also, do I need to replace the rear seal every time I pull a drum?

Old 06-30-2019, 12:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
My experience on the 2010 19 was to replace the entire assembly with Dexter assembly. The wires coming out of the backing plate were at least 10 inches long so no problem there. 11/16 box end wrench for the four mounting bolts. Otherwise pretty straightforward. I only replace the seals when I service the bearings because I usually mess them up getting the bearing driven out. For a couple bucks apiece for genuine Dexter seals I don’t fool around with them. Easy does it on tapping the new seals in, I usually use a block of wood crossways to keep the pressure even.
Iowa Dave

Old 06-30-2019, 12:31 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 21
Do you rough the shoe surface with heavy grit sandpaper? With "a lot of meat" you may be replacing the brakes prematurely. Mine have a bit of surface left and have around 60K or more towing.
Old 06-30-2019, 12:50 PM   #4
Site Team

I'm more concerned with all the rust, but scuffing them up is a good idea.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:01 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Do you feel that they may be binding on pivot points when activated due to rust? I’ve seen this where brakes got wet especially going through water and not dried out by heat or air before storage for a time. Used to happen on boats that were backed into the water and had surge brakes that were not set up so light as to activate on the way home or to storage. There is a brake lubricant product that doesn’t migrate to the shoes or drums.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-30-2019, 04:19 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Looking into replacing the brakes on the camper, have about 40k on them. Recently did the bearings and noticed the brakes are completly covered with rust and in one case the rear seal went so all the road dust is caked on. After reassembling I hooked up and took a ride to check the brakes. Going to max on the controller I can feel the brakes but far from locking up, which it used to do.

Going to attempt putting some test miles on it to clean up the shoe to drum connection then try adjusting them, still a good deal of meat on the shoes. If that doesn't give me enough braking I'm thinking of replacing the brake assembly.

Has anyone done so? if I recall correctly the wires are very short, Ild like to know how you cut and connected them together.

Also, do I need to replace the rear seal every time I pull a drum?

If you decide to replace the brakes, I would consider changing them to the self adjusting ones. From literature:

• Self-adjusting brakes do not require periodic manual adjustment like standard brakes.
  • Adjuster plugs (included) cover access holes to keep dirt and grime out of the assemblies and off of the shoes."
https://www.easternmarine.com/nev-r-...bly-k23-469-00
https://www.easternmarine.com/nev-r-...bly-k23-468-00
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dexter Nev-R-Adjust.jpg (76.5 KB, 22 views)
Old 06-30-2019, 04:45 PM   #7
Site Team

think those are the ones I saw at etrailer.com
Old 06-30-2019, 07:00 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
What is your time worth. For the price just replace with whole assembly, that is what I have done in the past. Remove, Replace, Adjust and Go!

"Live Life as if everything is rigged in your favor"
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:28 PM   #9

Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17. Looking for something else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
If you decide to replace the brakes, I would consider changing them to the self adjusting ones. From literature:

• Self-adjusting brakes do not require periodic manual adjustment like standard brakes.
  • Adjuster plugs (included) cover access holes to keep dirt and grime out of the assemblies and off of the shoes."
https://www.easternmarine.com/nev-r-...bly-k23-469-00
https://www.easternmarine.com/nev-r-...bly-k23-468-00
Yes^^^. When I bought my Bigfoot, it had been sitting for several years and the brakes were badly rusted. I replaced them with the self adjusting Dexter assemblies and was very pleased. The self adjusting feature added about $10 a wheel and the self adjusters always worked perfectly. If I order a new 19 Escape I will ask for the self adjusting brake option.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:33 AM   #10

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
Yes^^^. When I bought my Bigfoot, it had been sitting for several years and the brakes were badly rusted. I replaced them with the self adjusting Dexter assemblies and was very pleased. The self adjusting feature added about $10 a wheel and the self adjusters always worked perfectly. If I order a new 19 Escape I will ask for the self adjusting brake option.
Are these the correct assemblies to purchase for the earlier 2500 lb axles on the 19' trailers?

"Want Some Ice Cubes?, "Want a Frozen Margarita?", Want a Jump?"
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote