Rh 58% @ 7- 10 c - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2018, 08:37 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 17B / 2010 GMC Sierra
Rh 58% @ 7- 10 c

Hi,

We picked up our 17B from ETI early November. Unfortunately we are waiting for spring to arrive to take our prized trailer on her maiden voyage. Trailer has been winterized and we have 2 containers of Dri-Z-Air and a small heater (Davis air dryer). We have a humidity/thermometer which has been reading on average 58% RH at around 8 celsius. The containers are not collecting any visible moisture but the crystals have bonded together forming a large clump. Trailer is stored in our driveway covered with cover that we bought from ETI and windows and vents are closed. I check inside every week which lets some fresh air in for 5 minutes or so. I’m just wondering if anybody else monitors the RH? I would like to get the RH down to at least 50% but doesn’t look feasible with the current setup. Any advice or comments are appreciated.

Looking forward to spring and summer!

Scott
lilkuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 08:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You are up against mother nature. I'd give up.
I generally find the humidity in my trailer closer to 100 per cent than 50. I have two Dri-Z-Air containers. Windows and vents are closed. I use a heater from time to time. I have no faith in that Davis "air dryer". To dry the air it would have to remove moisture. If it does that, where does it go?
It doesn't go anywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-12-15 at 6.46.26 PM.png  
Old 12-15-2018, 09:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
If the trailer has power and you want to get to 50% RH I would try a small dehumidifier.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:24 AM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
When I tried them, my Dry-Z tubs froze in a clump and stayed that way till spring. Don't imagine it does any good frozen so you need to keep the trailer above 0.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:33 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Being the fact you are on an ocean delta where it is probably 100% RH, I'd say 55% is pretty good. Maybe 100 miles inland will help, but I'd be content you have your new mobile home at home.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:49 PM   #6

This thread prompted me to go out and check my trailer. Both the Dri-Z-Air containers were full of liquid and no crystals left. I'd turned on my electric heater this morning and temp this afternoon was 60F. Humidity was 90%.
Attached Thumbnails
Humidity.jpg  
Old 12-16-2018, 06:04 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Outside temperature 72°F, RH 25%. You just need to store your trailer here at Quartzsite, AZ1
Old 12-16-2018, 10:03 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 17B / 2010 GMC Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
This thread prompted me to go out and check my trailer. Both the Dri-Z-Air containers were full of liquid and no crystals left. I'd turned on my electric heater this morning and temp this afternoon was 60F. Humidity was 90%.
Wow! There is a big difference between North Van and Tsawwassen as far as humidity. How long did it take for the crystals to disappear? I have had mine in for over a month and not a drop of water and still lots of crystals. I think the idea behind the electric air dryer is that it heats the air which in turn has the ability to hold more moisture. Probably should have a vent open so that the warm moist are can escape to the environment but in doing so I think you probably let more moisture in. Like you say it’s a sketchy concept. Probably not going to win the battle. Just don’t want to have a musty trailer come spring time. I might see if I can get a small dehumidifier.

Thanks,

Scott
lilkuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:10 PM   #9

I figure it's been a couple weeks, maybe three, since I last checked and filled the Dri-Z-Air containers.

All cupboards are open, fridge propped open, cushions askew.

My trailer is not covered. Windows and vents closed.
It's worked for me for more than ten years.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:56 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilkuma View Post
I check inside every week which lets some fresh air in for 5 minutes or so. Scott
That's not fresh air, that's wet air, and wet air provides the mold spores with moisture. In your case the heater probably warms up the air enough that the crystals don't work, but I'm just guessing. I usually go inside once every 6 weeks and empty out the crystal dish (which btw I keep inside an ice cream bucket to prevent spillage and treat like battery acid). I try to pick a dry day and open and close the door really quickly. I've haven't been using any heat, just the crystals and sealing it up tight. I used to run a fan on a timer but now I just open all the cubboards and move the cushions and mattress away from the wall.

I'm not as experienced as Baglo (take that any way you want) but I've never had a problem either.
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote