Running on propane - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2015, 12:04 AM   #21

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokanEscape View Post
Yes today we had to surrender two eggs and a frozen Costco chicken breast to the gloved border guard as we crossed into Vancouver - apparently there is an outbreak of avian flu in the U.S. She was very nice and did not even want to check the contents of the trailer once we surrendered our contraband.
We are at Burnaby a Cariboo RV Park tonight - there is a 17 near us - wonder who?
A month ago crossing south to the US, the border guard asked us what we had in the fridge. When we got to the California tomatoes we bought in Canada at Cosco, he slapped a sticker on our windshield and made us pull over to be inspected. 45 minutes later after handing over both the keys to the car and the trailer, we were told we could go. Of course we couldn't go anywhere till we had straighten out the trailer, putting many things back where they belonged and that included the contents of the fridge.

And the suspect tomatoes that caused all the fuss? Well they were just fine, no problem, the inspector told us.

The moral of the story? Fill your fridge after you cross the border!!
sunrisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:38 AM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
The moral of the story? Fill your fridge after you cross the border!!
That's exactly what I plan to do on Wednesday. Other than some canned food, no other food in the trailer.... oh, except the beer and wine
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:12 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerriJ View Post
[*]In most provinces, it's law that all appliances and pilot lights must be turned off and cylinder valves closed while travelling.
I was going to say.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Just based on the quality of the writing, I'm not convinced the author knows what he is talking about.
Anyway, some time ago Jim Bennett did a survey, writing to the ministry of transportation in every province across Canada and determined that there was no law about driving with propane on. There are laws about fueling and ferries.
Imagine all those propane-powered vehicles that couldn't move because their propane was turned off.
.....this.

There is no problem anywhere in Canada travelling with the propane on, with the exception of situations with overriding rules, like tunnels and ferries.

As far as refuelling goes, if you ask many folk for honest answers, most will tell you they don't shut the fridge off when refuelling. Often many (like me), don't even think about it at the time. I have looked for signs at a few stations, and have seen nothing saying to shut RV propane off. You would think they would post it very clearly. I have seen no smoking signs, but there is little difference what the open flame is, with the exception a trailer is much further removed from the refuelling point. Still, it sure would be the best idea to turn any flame off. I wish that trailers could have a simple shut off, without the hassle of relighting, like many bigger mohos have.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:49 AM   #24

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We run with the propane on when traveling and always shut it off at the main when refueling. To date, we have never had to relight the refrigerator when turning the propane on. Every time I check, it has always reset itself and I figured it's because DH pumps the gas pretty darn fast so it's still in the "auto relight" mode.

That said, because we're pretty new at this, we haven't given much thought to tunnels (like the one we went through when heading to Yellowstone last year AND the one up the Oregon coast this year). So glad I caught this post as I will check our route more carefully the next time we start out.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:51 AM   #25

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Whats a DH?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:53 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
That said, because we're pretty new at this, we haven't given much thought to tunnels (like the one we went through when heading to Yellowstone last year AND the one up the Oregon coast this year). So glad I caught this post as I will check our route more carefully the next time we start out.
It is not all tunnels that require the propane be turned off, and the ones that do are very well posted ahead, and at some I have had them do a check before entering. I know that the one in Zion clearly posts the propane be off, and we were checked to confirm once.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-25-2015, 09:54 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Whats a DH?
Dear Husband. Not the most common wifey referral for me though.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:54 AM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Whats a DH?
Hi: J Mac... "Designated Him"? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:56 AM   #29

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
I wish this site had an acronym key for deciphering various entries.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:02 AM   #30

Just ran across this site: State Road Laws | RV Trip Wizard? | RV Trip Wizard Inc.. Most of you probably know about this but I thought it might be of interest to other "newbies".

Jan

- Cesare Pavese
Old 05-25-2015, 10:03 AM   #31

Dear Husband ... and I say that affectionately ... most of the time.

Jan

- Cesare Pavese
Old 05-25-2015, 10:06 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: J Mac... "Designated Him"? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Isn't that part of the itinerary for a church service?
Old 05-25-2015, 10:08 AM   #33

Quote:
I wish this site had an acronym key for deciphering various entries.
DH is one of the more common acronyms, used across the web in various communities like this. I do understand your point though, I find many talking in techie terms using them, and I do sometimes get lost too.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:18 AM   #34

Sorry, and I do know what you mean. Pretty soon, we'll all be talking in a new form of pidgin English. Just heard about the new words added to the Scrabble dictionary ... lolz (laughs), bezzy (best friend) and tuneage (music). Sigh!

Jan

- Cesare Pavese
Old 05-25-2015, 10:30 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
Sorry, and I do know what you mean. Pretty soon, we'll all be talking in a new form of pidgin English. Just heard about the new words added to the Scrabble dictionary ... lolz (laughs), bezzy (best friend) and tuneage (music). Sigh!
Scrabble certainly does allow some strange words. I already had lolz played against me (I play a bunch online), but haven't heard of the other two. Tough to keep track of all these words in me aging brain.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:36 PM   #36

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Most of this has been covered well, but I'll just note that ferries and tunnels require that the source of propane be turned off at the tank to reduce the risk of propane leaks (especially dangerous in an enclosed space), while gas stations require that sources of ignition (such as flames) are turned off to reduce the risk of a gasoline explosion. Very different risks resulting in very different requirements.

There is no need to shut off the propane supply at a gas station, unless that's the only way you can get the refrigerator to shut down the propane burner. The refrigerator in my motorhome just requires pushing one button to prevent propane operation, so it's easy to do (and resuming propane operation is just a button push because there is no pilot, so no lighting or auto-relighting); my trailer's old refrigerator would require re-lighting, which is a real pain in the neck.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote