sanitizing tank and lines - Page 12 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2016, 06:16 PM   #111

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
A trailer is more susceptible to microorganism water supply growth than your home because:

1. Water sitting in the tank is stagnant when the trailer is not in motion. Even drawing water from the tank isn't likely to prevent the bacteria growing on surfaces over time. If you had a holding tank as part of your home water system it would also be more susceptible to microorganism colonizing.

Generally true, but many homes (thousands in the rural areas surrounding Edmonton, for instance) get their water trucked in and held in a cistern (holding tank, generally underground), instead of using wells. The water comes from the municipal supply (at truck-loading stations). Deliveries would typically be weeks apart. I wonder if they do anything special to handle this potential problem, and whether it would be applicable to an RV.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:34 PM   #112

My trailer doesn't have the spray on insulation so the white fresh water tank is exposed to light. I think that is why I have a problem with growth in the fresh water tank.

This year I added some bleach and after a bit of driving I drained the fresh water tank by removing the drain fitting and draining it further as I drove home. Next I will take off the water filler cap and use a shop vac at the drain fitting to pull fresh air through the tank to dry it out. That should help keep the tank free.

I like the marble idea.

Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:47 AM   #113
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Yes, gives credence to the saying "losing one's marbles"....
Old 02-17-2016, 02:06 PM   #114

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane View Post
My trailer doesn't have the spray on insulation so the white fresh water tank is exposed to light.

... Next I will take off the water filler cap and use a shop vac at the drain fitting to pull fresh air through the tank to dry it out.
That makes sense to me, and will probably work better for drying than just pushing air in (and out of the vent). To make this even more effective, an exposed tank like this could have a larger clean-out fitting added - just like a threaded drain fitting on a waste tank, as low as it can go in the side (or even the bottom) of the tank. Just a thought
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:54 AM   #115

Trailer: 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
This thread reminds me I always used to put the largest couple of glass marbles that would fit down the filler tube into the fresh water tank. I have had many RVs over the years and I had to replace a water tank in one that had marbles in it and was surprised to see how clean the bottom of the tank was except for a small margin around the outside edge where they couldn't touch when rolling around. They never bothered the drain or pick up tube on my other units so I think I will try them in my Escape trailer. I know this won't keep al the lines etc. clean but it sure stopped sediments from building up on the tank bottom.

Cheers
Doug

Has anyone tried this on an Escape yet?
Old 03-06-2016, 10:02 AM   #116
Site Team

You mean lost their marbles?? ....
Old 03-06-2016, 07:27 PM   #117

Trailer: 2017 19 “Lilly”
Exactly.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:00 AM   #118

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
So I discussed this thread with a good friend of mine, a former head technologist of the hospital’s microbiology lab, and thought I would summarize my thoughts in light of this. Her department cultured the many water samples I submitted on a weekly basis for our purified water systems, and also from the renal unit water system. There is too much for a post, so if you care to read more open this PDF file. Dealing with microorganism growth and sanitization is similar for both water purification systems and RV water systems, even if the quality targets are different.

Bob K
Bob, I had saved your excellently thought out document, but forgot to thank you for your work on this.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:46 AM   #119

Trailer: None
My dog drinks out of the toilet , lake and puddles and still he survives. Maybe dogs are the superior being. The best coffee I ever drank was made from water obtained fresh from a Canadian lake .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:51 AM   #120
Site Team

and the best water was out of a hose on a hot day when you were a kid