sanitizing tank and lines - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2016, 09:52 AM   #121

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
My dog drinks out of the toilet , lake and puddles and still he survives. Maybe dogs are the superior being. The best coffee I ever drank was made from water obtained fresh from a Canadian lake .
Won't argue the dog part, the better coffee might just be cause you were out in the wilds. Seems to me food always tastes better when we are out camping and have spent a day on the trails. Maybe the dirt and ashes adds something to it.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:03 AM   #122

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
and the best water was out of a hose on a hot day when you were a kid
amen !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:36 AM   #123

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
and the best water was out of a hose on a hot day when you were a kid
The best for me as a kid was our "special stream" that emerged in the wooded area next to a golf course. We thought it was our secret find of amazingly great water. Then one day we traced it back to the source, which was an always on drinking fountain next to a tee. It just drained down into the ground and probably was soaking up all those wonderful chemicals they put on golf courses.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:33 AM   #124

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I was sanitizing my water hose and assorted water equipment since returning home from our AZ and NM trip and was thinking again about fresh water tanks. I'm thinking there would be some logic to traveling with partially filled fresh tank - maybe 1/2 or so.

Wouldn't the repeated sloshing around help disrupt formation of mold etc on the plastic? Stagnant water seems to be at least part of the problem.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:12 AM   #125

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Question: Are all the trailer models fresh water tanks exposed to daylight and unshielded unless covered with spray foam? I've never noticed.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:23 AM   #126

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
They are all under the trailer of course, however with the 21 there is probably more overhang to shield from sunlight. I like being able to see the level of the tank looking at it; usually don't have any more in it than we need and fill from a 6 gal jug. For drinking water we use a round 3 gal jug that is easy to move around and it sits up against the bed during travel. Also keep an empty one in back of car to augment the 6 gal for tank water.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:10 AM   #127

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I've removed/replaced quite a few water tanks in trailers and never had one with any visible growth, etc. Got a tank out of my Scamp 19 right now that is 20 years old and its visibly very clean. I've always used a bleach treatment, drive trailer around for a bit, dump n rinse.
I do leave the tank dry if storing for any period. Wonder if getting growth in tanks is as shown in some other posts is a problem in wetter climates.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:20 AM   #128

Trailer: Escape 21
Wish we did not get the insulation. It would be nice to see the tanks. I had to take the aerator off because it keeps clogging up. Wish we could see what is going on. But apparently we have the bottomless waste tank feature. 3 days without a sewer hook up and both gray and black read empty!
Take_a_hike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:11 AM   #129

Trailer: Escape 21
Decided to go crazy with the water since we will be going to dump soon. We got the gray and black to register! I guess we have been using the campground facilities more than we thought. Reluctant to use ours until we can get home and troubleshoot. But removing the aerator makes it easier to wash dishes.
Take_a_hike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:55 AM   #130

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
This is a very helpful thread guys, Thanks! Good for both prevention and problem resolution.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:09 AM   #131

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Thinking about all I've learned about treating my water and what others do such as only drink water from home. The other forum I follow is about thru hikers on the Appalachian Trail. Many of those posts start with: I was really thirsty and came across this muddy (or slimy or...) water so I filtered it with my Sawyer filter, drank it and continued on my hike. I've read further posts from them, so I guess it didn't kill them! All depends on your comfort zone. I filter incoming water on my Escape, use a charcoal filter on my faucet and use chlorine at start of the season. Other than that, I just enjoy camping!
Old 06-19-2016, 06:08 PM   #132

Fresh Canadian lake water makes the best coffee. If it's good enough for the fish it's good enough for me. The citizens of the USA have a germ phobia , never figured out why.
Old 06-19-2016, 06:20 PM   #133

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Fresh Canadian lake water makes the best coffee. If it's good enough for the fish it's good enough for me. The citizens of the USA have a germ phobia , never figured out why.
Flint Michigan .Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:23 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Flint Michigan .Pat
You are right about a lot of water in Canada though . Never before drank from hotel room water but did in Victoria and it was very good . Pat
Old 06-19-2016, 07:02 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Flint Michigan .Pat
The germ / bacteria phobia was around long before the self induced water problems in Flint. There are experts who now argue that we have taken the idea that everything has to be sterile to a dangerous level. I'm waiting for the day when antibiotics are no longer effective because the germs have mutated in response to our actions. Howard Hughs and Michael Jackson were once thought of as germ a phobics , now their actions are considered normal. Who in the 1940's or 50's or 60's envisioned paying more for a bottle of designer tap water than a gallon of gas . I drink the water from my trailer's on board tank and will continue to do so without fear or apology .
Old 06-19-2016, 07:19 PM   #136

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
believe they are still trying to clean up the Love Canal or whatever it was called...of course if your hiking the mountains above the snow line all you sometimes need to carry is a tin cup....
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:29 PM   #137

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
The germ / bacteria phobia was around long before the self induced water problems in Flint. There are experts who now argue that we have taken the idea that everything has to be sterile to a dangerous level. I'm waiting for the day when antibiotics are no longer effective because the germs have mutated in response to our actions. Howard Hughs and Michael Jackson were once thought of as germ a phobics , now their actions are considered normal. Who in the 1940's or 50's or 60's envisioned paying more for a bottle of designer tap water than a gallon of gas . I drink the water from my trailer's on board tank and will continue to do so without fear or apology .

Of course, everyone has a different comfort level. My standards are very, very low.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:45 PM   #138

Quote:
Steve I respect your right to live however you want . You should also respect those of us who have concerns . I live downhill from what is called Rocketdyne , which until it was removed due to back room politics, a superfund site . Out of total 9 kids each of us have had a child with cancer . One didn't make it . I get sick easy and have to be careful what I eat and drink . I mentioned before on this forum have my own water distiller . I have to be particular about my water I drink . Pat
Old 06-19-2016, 07:58 PM   #139

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I don't think anyone was trying to disparage a lifestyle or physical needs. I believe it was more of a general comment on the excessive germ phobia that exists now to the extent that shaking hands is not even acceptable anymore in some instances.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:08 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I don't think anyone was trying to disparage a lifestyle or physical needs. I believe it was more of a general comment on the excessive germ phobia that exists now to the extent that shaking hands is not even acceptable anymore in some instances.
I understand Karen . There are just different needs for a lot of us . I am not a germ phob . I just try not to get sick and have to be careful . I do shake hands though too . Pat