Service shop in Colorado for window replacement? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2016, 12:33 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 19 (sold)
Service shop in Colorado for window replacement?

Longshot, but can anyone here recommend a good place for service on an Escape in Colorado (Front Range area)? I need a place that will replace the kitchen window (original was warrantied by Escape/Hehr, so I have the new window already) and am leery of some of the larger chain stores. Any other thoughts on what to look for in finding a good shop are appreciated. Thanks.
canyonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Check with some auto glass installers- many have RV experience. One thing I know from experience at the factory is when changing windows it is essential that the surface where the new butyl goes must be super clean for a proper install.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonrider View Post
Longshot, but can anyone here recommend a good place for service on an Escape in Colorado (Front Range area)? I need a place that will replace the kitchen window (original was warrantied by Escape/Hehr, so I have the new window already) and am leery of some of the larger chain stores. Any other thoughts on what to look for in finding a good shop are appreciated. Thanks.
Sorry I can't help you with any recommendations for shops but I think Ross has a good idea about going to an auto glass installer. That's what I would do too.

If they are going to seal your window with some kind of sealant tape, ask for the thickest mil tape they have. Colorado is a land of temperature extremes and too thin of a sealant combined with extreme thermo expansion and contraction WILL cause your new window to leak eventually.

Good Luck,
Tom
PhD in Tarpology
PhD in Caulking
Associate Degree in drinking Craft Beers
Old 09-29-2016, 05:12 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonrider View Post
Do you mind if I ask what was wrong with the window? Mine leaked like a sieve and I found out that it had no sealing tape at all. I put mine in storage this year unfixed. The window uses a foam tape that ETI sent me, but I don't live where the trailer is stored. The window is really easy to remove and re-install so I will do it myself next year. I was wondering if yours leaked too.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Check with some auto glass installers- many have RV experience. One thing I know from experience at the factory is when changing windows it is essential that the surface where the new butyl goes must be super clean for a proper install.
The window is not sealed with butyl tape it is a foam tape (looks like neoprene) that goes all the way around the window except on the bottom.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
Do you mind if I ask what was wrong with the window? Mine leaked like a sieve and I found out that it had no sealing tape at all. I put mine in storage this year unfixed. The window uses a foam tape that ETI sent me, but I don't live where the trailer is stored. The window is really easy to remove and re-install so I will do it myself next year. I was wondering if yours leaked too.
No leaks with our kitchen window, but there are two issues:

First, when the window is closed, the awning part of the window doesn't sit flush and seal up with the window frame/seal along one corner. One side fits in there nicely, while the other side has a noticeable ~5mm gap between the window and the frame. This misalignment also seems to make the window really hard to open and close snugly (which might have caused issue no. 2 below). I returned to ETI to have them address this the day after pickup, but it's only marginally better now (when new there was a significant amount of daylight coming in along the gap when "closed").

Second, the ratchet mechanism that opens the window doesn't seem to be operating properly. The window does open and close, but when the awning portion is at a point about 1-2 cm from the frame, the knob stops engaging and spins freely for several turns. It does this at the same point when both opening and closing the window, but the period of non-engagement seems to be increasing with use.

Neither of these issues are huge, but annoying on a new trailer. I'm a little worried about handing the new window over to someone else, and after reading some of the comments here I'm wondering if I shouldn't just hold on to the new window until the existing one completely fails or starts to leak at some point down the road.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:05 PM   #7

canyonrider, Changing the window is really easy. I would not trust anyone to do it, but I am a retired mechanic and a perfectionist. Reese would be glad to explain how to change it. The hardest part is taking down the blinds and that really isn't hard. You could change it out in about 15 minutes. I took mine out and put it back in to see what the problem was and it really was easy. Just helps to have someone on the outside to hold it in place while you install the screws. Reese will explain how to alternate snugging down the screws so it isn;t over-tightened in one spot. Kind of like tightening lug nuts on a wheel.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:17 PM   #8

Thanks for the advice. I might be willing to give it a shot, but Reace specifically told me to go to a local RV service place to have it done. Perhaps that's just because Hehr agreed to pay for an hour of labor, or maybe Reace already senses my questionable mechanical aptitude.