Snow clearing - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2017, 07:10 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Snow clearing

I never thought when I put my canopy away under a tarp and covered the trailer that just getting them visible again would be such a pain in the butt.

The canopy, that's the object under the mound of snow, was covered by a tarp. 5 weeks of alternating snow and freeze thaw cycles turned the snow into hardened layers of ice. I took a short hoe and cleaved off the ice in small chunks. Not out of the woods yet though. The tarp was frozen solid to the canopy. So there I was, out in the freezing cold, pouring boiling water on it to unglue the tarp.

I got the ladder using by using up Air Miles. Wish I'd got one years ago. So much better for getting access to the roof. First, you're directly facing the work area instead of working sideways and secondly, the bottom is wider and more stable.

Same trick, different day. Wack, wack, wack and cleave off chunks from the trailer roof. The hoe I was using is for mixing small batches of concrete in a wheelbarrow and the corners had been rounded off. Good thing, otherwise the Adco trailer cover would have probably been damaged. The only casualty was the vent lid for the basic rear vent that I have in place of an air conditioner. I managed to crack a corner. No biggie, I'll probably be passing a CW or two in my coming travels.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0026_resize.JPG   P1090023_resize.JPG   P1090030_resize.JPG   P1090026_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You should have parked it under a cedar. My roof is clear of snow, just not clear of needles and sap.
What if you turned up the furnace inside the trailer to assist?
Old 01-09-2017, 09:30 PM   #3

Actually I've been doing a lot of mods inside and many days I had the heater cranked up but that didn't seem to make a dent in the snow level. If anything, it melted the very bottom a bit and turned it into solid ice.

Hopefully it'll all soon be a distant memory as I bake in the Southern sun. Of course that depends on the road South and the damaged Mexican highway, not to mention roadblocks and protests over gas price deregulation. Ah, the relaxing RV life.

Ron
Old 01-09-2017, 11:55 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I never thought when I put my canopy away under a tarp and covered the trailer that just getting them visible again would be such a pain in the butt.

The canopy, that's the object under the mound of snow, was covered by a tarp. 5 weeks of alternating snow and freeze thaw cycles turned the snow into hardened layers of ice. I took a short hoe and cleaved off the ice in small chunks. Not out of the woods yet though. The tarp was frozen solid to the canopy. So there I was, out in the freezing cold, pouring boiling water on it to unglue the tarp.

I got the ladder using by using up Air Miles. Wish I'd got one years ago. So much better for getting access to the roof. First, you're directly facing the work area instead of working sideways and secondly, the bottom is wider and more stable.

Same trick, different day. Wack, wack, wack and cleave off chunks from the trailer roof. The hoe I was using is for mixing small batches of concrete in a wheelbarrow and the corners had been rounded off. Good thing, otherwise the Adco trailer cover would have probably been damaged. The only casualty was the vent lid for the basic rear vent that I have in place of an air conditioner. I managed to crack a corner. No biggie, I'll probably be passing a CW or two in my coming travels.

Ron
Hi Ron information on the ladder please ? Looks like a much better ladder then what we have to use . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 01:12 AM   #5

The brand is "Little Giant". They have a video that shows all the ways it can be used. The handiest thing for trailer use is being able to have the leg closest to the trailer vertical allowing you to get up close and reach further onto the roof.

Ron
Old 01-10-2017, 01:28 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
The brand is "Little Giant". They have a video that shows all the ways it can be used. The handiest thing for trailer use is being able to have the leg closest to the trailer vertical allowing you to get up close and reach further onto the roof.

Ron
Thank you Ron . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:53 AM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I like the ladder, the 6' step ladder is a hassle as you know.

I was debating putting the cover on the trailer when I got done with it in Oct. As we were planning on leaving New England after Xmas I decided to pass on it till we get back in March. Now that I see yours I'm glad I did. It was hard enough clearing the snow without the cover before we left. I also found running up the heat for a day made no difference.

What's a canopy, a truck cap?
Old 01-10-2017, 09:28 AM   #8

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Ron, You live in North Van...so...What's the rush? Won't 'global warming' fix your ice/snow issues in about 60 days?

J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:37 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
What size/length ladder are you using in the photos.
mcdonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:41 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
What's a canopy, a truck cap?
Must be differences in terminology geographically. It is the enclosed cover for the box of a truck. I have heard of them being called a cap too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonner View Post
What size/length ladder are you using in the photos.
That's the 17' model and from what I can see, perfect for trailer type use. I have quite a collection of other step and extension ladders and didn't really think I needed another ladder. But I was wrong. And for free, what's not to like.

Ron
Old 01-10-2017, 12:15 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I think Ron has a free standing canopy over his trailer and Ron threw a tarp over the canopy to protect it. You can see the trailer in pic#2 and #4 under the canopy.