That Stinky Slinky - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2009, 04:53 AM   #1

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0
That Stinky Slinky

Yes, that accordian looking thing that you hook up to your beautiful Escape to drain off all the unmentionable water!
As I mentioned in the topic, Hokie Escapes, the slinky that came with Hokie, developed a hole the second use, and the replacement didn't fit the tube holder on the back bumper, and it's not something you desire to put in your storage compartment!!!!
Here's a GREAT alternative. It's called a Sewer Solution and it works just GREAT! You can google Sewer Solution, and get all the info, it's sold through Camping World. The only downer is that you need a second water source to make it work, and so you need an adapter for the non-potable water hose at the dump site, that doesn't usually have a male end to it. I didn't get a picture of the adapter, but will do that soon.
The best part is that it is clean, simple, and clean. Not only that but it's clean when you put it away. Just run your black water through 1st (as usual), then your gray water (to wash it out with good soapy water, as usual), then flush as long as you want with clear, clean water. You can toggle back and forth between empty and rinse til your heart is content. Did I mention, it's clean?
Attached Thumbnails
Lancaster3.jpg   Lancaster4.jpg  
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:32 AM   #2

Re: That Stinky Slinky

Here's a link to the hose adapter I mentioned. http://rvtravel.com/blog/rvnow/2007/...ter-thief.html
Unfortunately, I couldn't find any locally, so had to order online. Not a problem, except for shipping cost! The one I got didn't have the clamps either, and you need two for the water thief. One for each end.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:52 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Dan, I too poked a hole in 'stinky slinky'. I patched it with duct tap ok. I replaced it with a better hose, and found out it would not go in the tube supplied either. At this point I am not sure what I will do, but am willingly looking at other solutions.

It looks like Sewer Solution supplies the waste hose, and that you need to supply an fresh water hose to hook to it. This would mean carrying 2 fresh water hoses then, correct?

How much longer does it take to drain the tanks then with direct discharge?

Gotta run, likely more questions to follow.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:51 PM   #4

Heh Jim,
I carried 2 hoses to Lancaster, one blue, one green. One for our drinking water, the other for the Sewer Solution. I use the coiling style, because they fold up tight with a bungee, and don't take much room. I don't think that's it's really necessary to have two, since the protrusion closest to the hose is a backflow preventer. Besides, the only time an extra hose might be needed, like in our case, is when you have a full hookup. At the dump station, there is a hose for washing out slinky (although it may not have a male coupler on it, so the need for a Water Thief). You do not need a water source to drain your gray tank, only for the black. The water jet's action is to break down solids, which it does very well. You do not have to use special RV TP, just the home brand will suffice. It will even break down flushable wipes, something you would never put in an RV toilet otherwise.
One beauty of the Sewer Solution is that you can dump in a sewer clean out at home if one is handy, or run it into the bathroom and sling it over the toilet bowl (although you'd want to make sure it was well anchored : - )).
I'm not sure how long it takes to drain a full tank, but it definitely takes longer. With the stinky slinky, and the larger pipes on the black tank, it flows FAST. This needs to flow through a 1" hose, plus the extra water it pushes through. I'll have to time it next time. I don't remember it taking an extraordinarylly long time.(Actually, I got to talking to a guy in the campground, and just lost track of the time....glad I wasn't paying the water bill...but it was clean!).
Old 06-29-2009, 09:10 PM   #5

I would imagine if you were at a full service site, you could just take the supply hose and hook it to the Sewer Solution for the time it takes to empty. A couple quick couplers would be handy.

It would still be nice to find a place to stow it when not in use, that is not in with other stuff, more for the ease of accessibility then not. This is the problem with having only one small exterior hatch. I think I might get a larger one, and maybe add another for under the driver side dinette seat.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-30-2009, 09:15 PM   #6

Jim, I'm with you, one hose is enough.
And yes, you can't have too much storage available to the exterior for such things. Will you have Rease add the extras?
Here's a pic of my Sewer Solution which has an additional 10' hose on it (ie. 20' total), and as you can see, it really doesn't take too much space. About 15" across, and it's not tightly coiled. Slick unit!
(the scissors are there to give some size perspective)
Attached Thumbnails
Lancaster9.jpg  
Old 06-30-2009, 09:23 PM   #7

I'm definitely interested in it. I do have a nice new slinky now though that I can't store.

Thanks for the photo.

If I can find a good insulated hatch I will install them myself. It would be quite easy to do.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:10 AM   #8

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape

We ended up getting a new slinky at Wal Mart (first outing and we broke the connector piece for the trailer---yup Fort Langley) So we bought a "set" that had new ends (including the one for the sewer outlet if you are hooked up to services)
Of course with the ends it didn't fit in the container at the back. The ends are very easy to take on/off, so the hose stays in the holder and the ends and gloves stay in a bag in the hatch....and heck it works!!! Then we know where those gloves are!!!
Old 07-02-2009, 09:04 PM   #9

Below is a pic of the Water Thief. Great thing to have even if you don't have a Sewer Solution. It hooks up to a bare hose, or a faucet with no threads (common in National Forests). The large end slips over the faucet or hose, you tighten down the clamp, then you can hook your hose up to it for whatever purpose (say to fill your water tank). The second clamp is because of a poor design of the WT. The threaded end has a smooth rather than barbed shank on it, so when placed under pressure, it slips off if you don't have the second clamp, which is really tight. The clamps did not come with the WT.
Attached Thumbnails
Lancaster10.jpg  
Old 07-02-2009, 09:11 PM   #10

You would think they would have some kind of crimp ring to hold the threaded insert. Maybe a 3/4" PEX crimp ring would work>