Three winterization questions - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Old 10-05-2014, 02:23 PM   #11
Trailer: '21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Originally Posted by bpjod View Post
I'm attempting my first ever trailer winterization on our new Escape 21. A few questions have arisen in my mind that I'd like some help with.
[*]I want to remove the dual 6V batteries and store them in my basement. After winterizing my trailer, I'll be towing it a few kms to the place I'll be storing it for the winter. ...
If you don't mind spending $25 to $35. A small 12v AGM battery designed for an uninterruptible computer power supply (UPS) in place of the regular batteries would have a couple of practical uses. It could power the brakes for the short trip you have in mind, plus it would power the occasional LED light should you need to visit the trailer while in storage. The AGM style of battery has very low self-discharge (no need to keep it on a float charger over the winter) and no maintenance required. Keep in mind for the low price it won't power the furnace or refrigerator.

alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:44 PM   #12
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Thanks all for your helpful replies. This place has such a friendly, helpful group of people. Anyways, the trailer only had to be moved about a dozen blocks so I took the batteries out and drove it there without any mishaps.
Thanks for the reassurances about the remaining water in the water heater and I'm going with leaving the Maxx Air fan closed as I'm fearful of snow blowing in.
Sad to be putting the trailer away, but next year we have a conference in Fredericton, NB and we plan on taking the kids and taking a month for the trip and exploring Eastern Canada and the Maritimes. Let the planning begin!

bpjod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:49 AM   #13
Trailer: 17ft B Escape "lark"
Do you have to remove the batteries in west wa? Or is it warm enough so they can stay in place? I was hoping I could winterize by emptying my tanks and still camp a little.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:56 AM   #14
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
You don't "have" to remove the batteries anywhere, just keep them topped off with water and fully charged. A fully charged battery will not freeze until -76F; however, a fully discharged battery could start to freeze at 32F.

Figures from the Interstate site.
Happy Motoring
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:56 AM   #15
Site Team
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Hooking up and using your trailer in the winter at least once a month should keep your batteries charged. Solar is ideal to keep them charged while sitting. Other than your batteries, emptying and winterizing your tanks/lines is what is left. I camp year round and find the winter solitude soothing.
never in doubt, often wrong
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:27 AM   #16
Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Last winter I took my Escape out of covered and enclosed storage after 23 weeks (no power supply) and still had 13.2 volts on board.

Karen Hulford
2013 Escape 15A (April), "Egbert"
Ford 150 XLT 5.8L
Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote