Tire longevity & replacement recommendations - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2019, 06:05 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 19'
Tire longevity & replacement recommendations

I’m told the original carlisle st205/75r15 tires on 2017 17b need to be replaced after 24000 miles. Are these just crappy tires? What has been your experience? Also can you please suggest good replacement brands? I did conduct a search but couldn’t find an answer easily. TIA.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Who told you that? And why do you trust them?
Old 09-12-2019, 06:14 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mucram View Post
I’m told the original carlisle st205/75r15 tires on 2017 17b need to be replaced after 24000 miles. Are these just crappy tires? What has been your experience? Also can you please suggest good replacement brands? I did conduct a search but couldn’t find an answer easily. TIA.
I have always managed between 25000 & 30000 miles between sets of tires, so that doesn't seem unusual. I used Maxxis 8008 tires on my 17, and switched to Goodyear Endurance with the last change on the 17 & the current change on my 21.

I tend to change them well before being down to the wear bars - I could have probably done another couple of thousand miles on the original Carlisle tires that came on the 21, but changed them for a set of Goodyear Endurance at 22,823 miles.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:24 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mucram View Post
I’m told the original carlisle st205/75r15 tires on 2017 17b need to be replaced after 24000 miles. Are these just crappy tires?
Just judging from comments in online discussions, 24,000 miles is great tread life for trailer tires, even though you may never have had a car tire wear out that fast.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:06 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
With no towing experience, I had no idea how long my original Carlisle tires would last. I assumed 40,000 miles, based upon nothing. I had noticed uneven wear on a couple of those tires on the same side of the trailer. Postings on the Forum suggested it was due to a loose bearing or perhaps a bent axle. At 36,000 miles one of the tires disintegrated near the beginning of a three-month trip last fall.

Well, I can take a hint : I replaced them all with Goodyear tires. 9500 miles later I don't see any unusual wear patterns. But just in case, I'll have the bearings serviced and axle checked out before my next long trip. Should also rotate the tires, I suppose.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:11 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I would replace tires based on tread depth and age, not on an arbitrary mileage number. My tires haven't come close to requiring replacement based on tread depth; just aged out.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:07 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
yeah, replace them when they are 5 years old, or if the sidewalls show bumps or wrinkles, or if the tread starts looking funky.

reminds me, the factory tires on my 2014 are due. and there's a bit of a sidewall bump on one that looks like it might be a split cord in the casing.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 05:56 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
I don't know how many miles we have on our original Carlisle tires but with a little over 2 years full timing and lots of traveling they are showing their age. I have an appointment at Discount Tire this afternoon to replace all 5 with Goodyear Endurance.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:14 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Hello...

Need info on tires for our Escape 19:

I am told RVs require special tires; and that they don't take regular tires... something to do with the axle not being a car/truck axle or something. Can someone please explain the difference and let me know of a brand for durable RV replacement tire? Thank you.

Serendipity
Serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:52 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
Hello...

I am told RVs require special tires; and that they don't take regular tires... something to do with the axle not being a car/truck axle or something. Can someone please explain the difference and let me know of a brand for durable RV replacement tire? Thank you.

Serendipity
Hi: Serendipty... I chose to replace our factory originals with Goodyear Endurance tires. My tire supplier said they were more substantial than the "China bombs" he usually recommends. He was surprised when I told him the Endurance tires are made in USA. I found the mfg's code indicated they were made in Alabama. They are however more costly than the others... but a lot is riding on my tires!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:52 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Hello...

Serendipity
Any reputable tire place or rv repair can recommend tires, if not replace with same that came on trailer. I replaced mine when I had a flat and wanted all the tires to match.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:33 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
While I saw a Carlyle tire that had gone 42,000 miles and was down to the wear bars, the owner went to Endurance Goodyears when he replaced.
I really like our Endurance tires, we’ve run them for two full seasons and when I checked the tread depth recently I was at 6/32. They start at 9/32 when new. They are on the 21 which weighs 4380 loaded and I run them at 60 lbs psi cold in hot weather and about 62 lbs psi in the early spring and when it’s cool in the fall. I would rather wear them out than age them out.
Inspect your tires on a regular basis and check the inflation regularly too. Never know when you might have picked up a nail or a screw. YMMV
Iowa Dave
Old 09-13-2019, 07:56 AM   #13

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
Quote:
Hello...

Serendipity
Here is a link to a discussion of trailer tires from the Tire Rack. With you pretty new trailer, you likely don't won't need to change them out for a few years, but when you do keep in mind the advice.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=309
Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:23 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
On the advice of my tire shop manager I replace trailer tires when the wear is getting bad or 7 years, which ever comes first. Also if there is some abnormal surface conditions.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:25 AM   #15

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Have had good service from the Maxxis 8008. Recently put on Goodyear Endurance so not much travel time yet but so far so good.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:10 AM   #16

Trailer: 2018 19'
Thank you for your comments and recommendations on tires. The current tires are showing quite a bit of tread wear so before next big trip (in two weeks), will buy new ones & have metal stems put on so I can get a tpms put on.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:44 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA Sold
Tire Purchase Process

So, when I buy new tires for my car, I drive into a bay, they hoist up the car and replace all the tires. I pay a bunch of money and drive away on brand new tires, one of which will find a nail within the first week.

Is the process for replacing the trailer tires the same? We have a 5.0 and I’m having a hard time visualizing my baby up on a hoist!

What should I expect the process to look like?

Thanks!

Sometimes not having any idea where we're going works out better than we could possibly have imagined. Ann Patchett
runnergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:50 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
In the case of my 21, Goodyear left the trailer connected to the truck & jacked each side (by the frame, not axle). I don't know how they do a 5th wheel...
Old 09-15-2019, 08:01 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Discount Tire had me pull up in front of the last bay with the trailer at right angles to the bay. They used small wheeled jacks under the frame (4 total) to lift the trailer up. Did not need to unhitch.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:12 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Have had good service from the Maxxis 8008. Recently put on Goodyear Endurance so not much travel time yet but so far so good.
Help me understand this. Trailer tires wear out faster than truck tires? Why?

I replaced the trailer tires on my Casita with LT truck tires - they are still on that trailer and doing fine after many miles and more than a few years.

The Carlisles that came on this trailer are doing good but I'm still tempted to replace them when it comes time with LT's just because of my past experience with the China Bombs.

Are the Goodyear Endurance equal to the LT's such that I could go with them instead?