Torque Wrench & Socket Idea? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2015, 11:39 AM   #21

Trailer: 2016 21'
I'm probably over-stressing about the torque. I just read the owner's manual. There are at least 1000 ways to kill yourself according to the manual. I know... Lawyer stuff. :-)

Maury&Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 11:44 AM   #22

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
At your orientation you will get tons of info; one of the most important is checking the lugs at 500 miles(another is adjusting your brakes). One member almost lost a wheel shortly after having her trailer delivered to the East Coast as she didn't get the memo.

When they're new- especially on the painted rims the lugs are easier to come loose as they haven't ground through the paint all the way.

Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 11:49 AM   #23

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape, 2002 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maury&Julie View Post
Anyone have any ideas on a good torque wrench for the trailer tires? I've been looking at this one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Overkill?
I just got that item from Amazon along with some deep sockets and some pliers. That brought my total to $55 so I got the $15 off sale going on with Tekton tools this month.
My old torque wrench is the mechanical pointer type which is trickier to read and get a good setting. The wrench comes in a nice plastic storage package. No room for sockets though.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:03 PM   #24

They have the 1/2" drive Tekton at HD for $31. One thing- this wrench is 18" long and the Husky I bought at HD is 31". With that extra leverage it is still some work pulling up the last snug-up to 95 lbs.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:06 PM   #25

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Maury,
One thing I did not warn you about is that there are a few topics that you can bring up that will bring passionate responses on this forum. They are Teflon tape, tires, caulk, pressure regulators, wax and tools, especially torque wrenches. You have probably figured that out by now. One more thought, if you are camped near two or more Escape owners, as long as you have some libations you do not need tools, skill or knowledge, just mention your concern and stand back. You don't even need to be pretty. Everybody just wants to help and insure that a good time will be had by all. Hope to meet you on the road some day.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 12:08 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
At your orientation you will get tons of info; one of the most important is checking the lugs at 500 miles(another is adjusting your brakes). One member almost lost a wheel shortly after having her trailer delivered to the East Coast as she didn't get the memo.

When they're new- especially on the painted rims the lugs are easier to come loose as they haven't ground through the paint all the way.
Very true. This is definitely the most important check ever, for your lug nuts. The nuts have to kind of day themselves to the rim after their first ever install.

Same thing for me brake pads.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 12:10 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I know for a fact the tire shop I use torques all wheels after install with an impact wrench. I think most do too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 12:25 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Maury,
One thing I did not warn you about is that there are a few topics that you can bring up that will bring passionate responses on this forum. They are Teflon tape, tires, caulk, pressure regulators, wax and tools, especially torque wrenches. You have probably figured that out by now. One more thought, if you are camped near two or more Escape owners, as long as you have some libations you do not need tools, skill or knowledge, just mention your concern and stand back. You don't even need to be pretty. Everybody just wants to help and insure that a good time will be had by all. Hope to meet you on the road some day.
Dave
You forgot coffee
Old 12-06-2015, 12:45 PM   #29

Toque Wrench...

Hi: All... Don't know if I'm not pro active enough but since purchase I've not done more than visual inspections of wheel nuts!!! Next week "Escape Hatch II" goes in for it's first bearing pack. My RVTech is rubbing his hands cause it's a dual axle trailer so he charges $39. per axle.
This might be enough to get me torqued up about going south!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 01:03 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post

Very true. Even with the aluminum rims, I got a slight movement on several lug nuts on the 3rd and 4th torquing. Even if all you have is a breaker bar, check them. Loren

Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
torque wrench