Trailer Cover - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2017, 08:22 AM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Trailer Cover

Hope your week is going well,
We purchased a 13 foot escape and are looking to buy a quality cover for it.
Our unit has the solar panel option
Any suggestions?
Dan & Marnie
coldstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:48 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Escape 13

Lucky you. Be aware if you go to a rally with trailer tours, your day will be consumed with visitors. 13s are uncommon and curiosity magnets. We don't have a cover for our 19 but many people have had very good results with a Calmark cover. Best of times to you and your 13.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:39 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I have a Calmark and have had 2 different ADCO covers. The Calmark is the highest quality of the 3, by a long shot. It's also more bulky and a good deal heavier. The cheaper ADCO is junk, the best ADCO is pretty good, easier to handle and manipulate. Got less then 2 years out of the cheap one, 6-7 out of the best ADCO, and I have no idea on the Calmark as it's only 1 year.

After having the 3, if I were to buy a new trailer and need a new cover, I'd opt for the best of the ADCO's at about half the cost of the Calmark.

Keep in mind I have a 21' trailer, with yours being 13' the Calmark would be a lot lighter, cheaper, and less bulky then mine.

You do have to cover any sharp corners and such, for any of them.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:43 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post

After having the 3, if I were to buy a new trailer and need a new cover, I'd opt for the best of the ADCO's at about half the cost of the Calmark.
I agree. Usually so many chime in about how great the Calmark is that I don't bother to say the Adco does the job for me. But, since you've already said it....

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
04-11-2014 8-19-27 PM2_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:00 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Appreciate the feedback.
Did check on the calmark and it was a tad spendy with no Canadian retailers.
We put it in the shop in the winter but are just looking for a cover to protect against fading during our hot okanagan summers.

Safe travels
coldstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:54 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldstream View Post
Appreciate the feedback.
Did check on the calmark and it was a tad spendy with no Canadian retailers.
We put it in the shop in the winter but are just looking for a cover to protect against fading during our hot okanagan summers.

Safe travels
We have a Calmark cover for our 17, and we consider it to be very much worth the price. We figured that we have a significant expense in the Escape, and want to protect it from the almost constant sun of Southern California (because it "never rains in Southern California" ((except for this year)) ).
It fits well, can be installed and removed by my wife and I on 2 ladders in 10 minutes, and is made with Sunbrella fabric, similar to commercial awnings.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:11 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
We purchased a 13 foot escape...
Dan & Marnie
I know nothing about trailer covers but I do know we all would really like to see pics of your 13.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:23 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17A
Just curious Don, is there any provision made with your cover for permitting entry into the trailer while it is covered? I see Calmark's site says they already have patterns for Casitas and Scamps (no mention of Escapes). Do you recall which cover you purchased? Perhaps you had to submit measurements. And do you have A/C on your roof?
GlennT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:45 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennT View Post
Just curious Don, is there any provision made with your cover for permitting entry into the trailer while it is covered? I see Calmark's site says they already have patterns for Casitas and Scamps (no mention of Escapes). Do you recall which cover you purchased? Perhaps you had to submit measurements. And do you have A/C on your roof?
Glenn,
Yes, Calmark has a zippered panel that rolls up, and can be tied off. (tonight's photo attached). On the roof, I have A/C and a solar panel behind it.
Calmark is less than 10 miles from me, so I took it there on the way to work, and left it so they could use their laser-measuring gizmo on it. They've done a fair number of Escapes. When we were there I mentioned that ETI is coming out with the 2017 models, and that they were slightly different on side profile. However, from what I've seen here on the forum, it's mostly straighter walls and a slightly different awning configuration, so mine might fit the new ones. I'd contact them to see; it's a small company, so you'll likely be talking to the owners.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF4568.jpg  
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:54 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Just removed the cheapo cover from our Escape 21 after its 2nd long winter protecting our baby. The trailer looks and feels polished, like it did when I covered it in October. It occurred to me that the external lights were perfectly clean. THISIS HUGE!!! With our stick built without a cover, each spring I had to remove each light cover and clean the green/black growth that got inside. NO MORE! And the rest of the external trailer hardware looked just as good. I only wish I had made the move to covers long ago!

We don't have any wind to speak of in Surrey, BC, especially beside our house where our Escape is parked, so the less than perfect fit of our oversized cover doesn't result in a lot of flapping. The cheap cover, from Elite Auto on Ebay, Is only $160 U.S. and has already lasted two long winters. The cover looks like it should last at least 2 more winters, if not more. It had a couple of small rips in it (fixed with duct tape) from when we were figuring out how to set it up. We also didn't know how easy it was to rip the Tyvek sidewalls, but since that first day we haven't ripped any more.

I was tempted to go for the Calmark cover, with its better fit and softer material, but at a fraction of the price of a Calmark we are saving quite a bundle. If we had a lot of wind I might have tried a better quality cover, possibly the Calmark.

Here is a link to our cover:
Deluxe Escape 21 Travel Trailer Camper Cover W/ Zipper Door Access | eBay

Bob K
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5277.jpg   IMG_5278.jpg  
Attached Images

Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:55 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yep, gotta wash and wax mine now that the snow and winter is over, but it gives me an excuse to go over any look for any potential problems. I'll do this a day before camping and leave it out.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:48 AM   #12

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
We just went through our first winter with our 19, and left it uncovered all winter. After spending all day Saturday giving it a good bath, I plan on getting some sort of cover for it before next winter (I got it clean, but have lots of black streaks that I need to work on). I'm still trying to decide if I want to build a permanent shelter over it or go with a Calmark cover (we do get a lot of wind during the winter, so would want the good quality cover). If we were planning on staying at our current home for more than a few more years, then we would definitely invest in a permanent structure. But since we don't, getting a good cover that we could take with us to our next home might make more sense.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:43 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
We just went through our first winter with our 19, and left it uncovered all winter. After spending all day Saturday giving it a good bath, I plan on getting some sort of cover for it before next winter (I got it clean, but have lots of black streaks that I need to work on). I'm still trying to decide if I want to build a permanent shelter over it or go with a Calmark cover (we do get a lot of wind during the winter, so would want the good quality cover). If we were planning on staying at our current home for more than a few more years, then we would definitely invest in a permanent structure. But since we don't, getting a good cover that we could take with us to our next home might make more sense.
Hi: GregandTeresa... LA's Awsome cleaner from the Dollar Store takes care of our "Black" streaks. A jug of Blue Coral Wax/Wash from Wall o Mart does the rest!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:01 AM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: GregandTeresa... LA's Awsome cleaner from the Dollar Store takes care of our "Black" streaks. A jug of Blue Coral Wax/Wash from Wall o Mart does the rest!!! Alf
Alf, if you hadn't said it, I would have. That LA Totally Awesome Cleaner is unbelievable stuff.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:39 AM   #15

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
I actually have some of the LA's Awesome Cleaner at home, so will give it a try. Thanks
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:44 AM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
I actually have some of the LA's Awesome Cleaner at home, so will give it a try. Thanks
Just use it judiciously. It will remove all wax too. You don't want to end up doing more work than you need too.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:03 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Alf, if you hadn't said it, I would have. That LA Totally Awesome Cleaner is unbelievable stuff.
Hi: Zardoz... And the price is right too!!! Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:28 AM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
The cheap cover, from Elite Auto on Ebay, Is only $160 U.S. and has already lasted two long winters.

Bob K
Your cover has so many similarities to my Adco I wonder if they didn't both come from the same factory. They are worth having.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:34 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 pulled by GMC Canyon Diesel.
Quote:
Hope your week is going well,
We purchased a 13 foot escape and are looking to buy a quality cover for it.
Our unit has the solar panel option
Any suggestions?
Dan & Marnie
ETI carries a cover manufactured by OverDrive for the 17' (accessories tab). Lowes.ca carries the full range. I have no idea on the quality or ease of use.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. Mark Twain
JPSpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:02 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 21 'Toto'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
Just removed the cheapo cover from our Escape 21 after its 2nd long winter protecting our baby. The trailer looks and feels polished, like it did when I covered it in October.
This convinced me. I looked at your pictures of that sparkling 21, then went outside to look at poor rain-soaked, black-streaked, green-tinted Toto -- and all the washing I am going to have to do after our very wet & cold (for us) winter. Toto is well-waxed so it's not that huge a deal, but I'll surely be a tired boy by the time Toto is cleaned up.

I ordered the Elite cover as soon as I came back into the house. If it lasts 2 years it's a bargain.