Trailer Dolly - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2016, 12:06 AM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Trailer Dolly

(I wasn't really sure which category to put this under, so if a moderator feels it needs to go elsewhere, that's fine by me. Thanks)

I need to start researching them, but I was hoping some on this forum have used them before and could give me some real life feedback on them.

Situation: The Trailer will be parked with the hitch facing away from the street for various reasons. I can pull up parallel to the flat gravel area we have for it, but I can't pull forward in to it. Leaving the hitch facing the street is not an option for us.

So, we're gonna get one of those trailer dollys to move the trailer in to place. But which one? Here's the links for two that advertise in Trailer Life, but there might be more (like I said, still need to do some research on them).

This one is electric - Power Caster:
Power Caster,electric trailer mover dolly, boat dolly, toy hauler

The ParkIt360 is battery powered:
https://parkit360.ca/

Has anyone used these? Or others? Thoughts, feedback, etc?

Thanks much!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:45 AM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
There are more - and you can even build your own - but the ParkIt360 and Power Caster have both been discussed in this forum before, as well as the Trailer Valet. Just do (or follow these links for) a search for ParkIt360 in EscapeForum.org or a search for "Power Caster" in EscapeForum.org.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:53 AM   #3

I don't think I would want to trail a power cord around for a 120V AC powered dolly (ever cut a lawn with a corded electric mower?), but I think it would be even worse to maintain yet another set of batteries, so if I had a decently large battery setup in the trailer I would prefer to plug the dolly into the trailer. Perhaps, if the wire gauge is sufficient, the cable which normally plugs into the tow vehicle while towing could be used.

Whatever the power source, I hope there is not too much slope, and that the path is paved. For more traction-challenged situations, the European style of "mover" would be much better, but they're expensive and they involve modification to the trailer (they mount adjacent to the trailer's wheels).
Old 02-17-2016, 01:23 AM   #4

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
There are more - and you can even build your own - but the ParkIt360 and Power Caster have both been discussed in this forum before, as well as the Trailer Valet. Just do (or follow these links for) a search for ParkIt360 in EscapeForum.org or a search for "Power Caster" in EscapeForum.org.
I did look at those already, but none of them really addressed using something on gravel for a 21'. The 19' was mentioned on gravel, but that was it, from what I was reading.

I have written to the companies about using their product on gravel, but of course it'll take time to get back to me.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:04 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
Here's the link to the thread I started in 11/2014 about the same thing.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...olly-4838.html

If you call Power Mover the owner will ask you a whole bunch of questions about trailer weight, type of surface you'll be moving the trailer, etc. A lot of questions but he doesn't want to overlook anything. His number is (760)231-9048

As it turned out I didn't buy a dolly; with a lot of patients and slow moving I was able to get “Escaping Reality” where I wanted.
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:10 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I do not think these tow motors work well on gravel, you may want to cement in the pad and then you should have no issue. My pad looks like a patchwork due to the additions over the years due to the trailers. Concrete is relatively cheap and you already have the gravel base, just install some wooden forms and have it delivered.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:04 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
As I have mentioned, we are looking for our next house, and patiently waiting for that right one to come along. A must is a parking spot for our 5.0. For some reason it seems that the majority of places we looked at, simply backing the trailer in to the spot would land it backwards for our liking, with the door facing the wrong way.

So, I researched a lot on various movers. I do not want to rely on 120V, or onboard batteries either. I have pretty much settled on the Trailer Valet XL. I like that it is manual, and will work for any reason I don't have power, yet can use a cordless drill (of which I have about 10 up to 28V). 2 speeds will be nice too.

This unit has been discussed on here too, easy to find in the archives.

It would be easy to make an adapter to work with the 5.0, just make an appropriate length extension with diagonal braces back to the front corners of the trailer, by or to the landing gear.

Plus, it costs a lot less that most of the others, and it weighs a lot less too, something to consider should you have a need to transport it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:52 AM   #8

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
So, I researched a lot on various movers. I do not want to rely on 120V, or onboard batteries either. I have pretty much settled on the Trailer Valet XL. I like that it is manual, and will work for any reason I don't have power, yet can use a cordless drill (of which I have about 10 up to 28V). 2 speeds will be nice too.

This unit has been discussed on here too, easy to find in the archives.

It would be easy to make an adapter to work with the 5.0, just make an appropriate length extension with diagonal braces back to the front corners of the trailer, by or to the landing gear.

Plus, it costs a lot less that most of the others, and it weighs a lot less too, something to consider should you have a need to transport it.
Does anyone have experience using this on gravel?
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
I am not aware of anyone here using one. As long as the gravel is packed, with minimal loose stones, I would be most of them would work. I think the issue comes with surfaces with lots of loose stone, when most small tires do not work well, especially powered ones.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-17-2016, 11:34 AM   #10

Trailer: egg camper 2007
Video | Purple Line
Old 02-17-2016, 12:11 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
I own a Trailer Valet XL... and it works very well, on flat or almost flat cement / pavement. I like it a lot. Works great for our application.

I dont think it would work on gravel... as the wheels are somewhat loaded lightly (under the tongue) and it's wheels would spin.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:50 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, May 2014
Hi,
I've been using my Power Mover AC6 with my Escape 21 since I brought the trailer home in June 2014. I use it to pull into my driveway "head first" after un-hitching from my tow vehicle. The AC6 has worked flawlessly for me. I have a slight incline where the driveway meets the gutter and I've had no issues whatsoever. That said, I only use it on smooth concrete and asphalt and again, only a slight incline. I posted several pictures in the "Anyone use a power dolly ..." thread mentioned earlier and I'm happy to answer any questions too. Cheers!
Fletch
Fletch Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:08 PM   #13

I saw those photos, Fletch. I just wish someone was using one of these types of dollys on gravel and could say "yep, this is exactly what you want". But that'd be too easy, huh?

I doubt the city will let us concrete over the gravel as they're throwing a fit over what we did already. We've got an engineering company trying to help us get it all squared away with the city. Loads of fun there, to put it mildly.

I'm wondering if putting some pavers in the gravel will help.

What to do, what to do.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:21 PM   #14

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkman View Post
cool idea, cool video.
They start at around $1500.00 and go up from there.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
cool idea, cool video.
They start at around $1500.00 and go up from there.
Yeah, this one looks like it might be a winner! Ding, ding, ding!

These guys did not pop up when I did a google search last night for RV dollys. I've written to them double checking it'll work on gravel.

Thanks for the link, Kirkman. And they have a dealer in Chilliwack even! I'll have to see if they'll install it as I know Dirk won't want to crawl under the trailer (although he might, depending on what installation costs are).
Old 02-17-2016, 03:56 PM   #16

Quote:
I had looked these over a while back.

If there was something like this that could be easily removed when not in use, I think they would be great. Otherwise they are always exposed to the elements and road grime, plus they don't look so nice either.

I believe they were quite pricey too, for a couple motors and traction rollers. All this kinda stuff seems expensive though.

One thing to remember with these, that while there would be no issue driving the wheels on gravel, you would need a big fat hitch wheel so it didn't dig in.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:32 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I bought a ParkIt360 for my 19, and have used it once. Fortunately, so far, I've been successful in getting the trailer exactly where I want it when I back it into the driveway. I know there will come a time when I need the ParkIt, however, and am glad to have it.

It does not work particularly well on grass, so I imagine it will not do well on gravel. The tires are narrow and sink into the lawn with the combined weight of the unit and tongue weight. I used a thin sheet of 1/4" plywood under the ParkIt on the grass.

Keep in mind also that your trailer tires are going to be in gravel, and there will be much more resistance there.

I bought the model that just plugs into the trailer battery bank. The cord they give you is JUST long enough to reach into the front storage box of the 19 to connect. Eventually I will put an external jack on the storage box.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:11 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
If you are a DIY this is the version I made. As designed it works very well in all condition on my Boler. I have used it with my Casita, but with larger trailers it would need the battery connected directly to maintain the amperage, and not drawing power through the trailer battery.
DIY Power Trailer Dolly

Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:52 PM   #19

Quote:
The Purple Line product is one - maybe the only - example of a 'European style of "mover"' as I mentioned earlier:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
For more traction-challenged situations, the European style of "mover" would be much better, but they're expensive and they involve modification to the trailer (they mount adjacent to the trailer's wheels).
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Yeah, this one looks like it might be a winner! Ding, ding, ding!

These guys did not pop up when I did a google search last night for RV dollys. I've written to them double checking it'll work on gravel.
They wouldn't, because this system is not a dolly. Gravel should be no problem at all, because these are motors which turn the trailer's own tires: that means there is no issue with little wheels trying to roll over stones, and since it isn't working with just the load on the tongue there is no lack of traction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I believe they were quite pricey too, for a couple motors and traction rollers. All this kinda stuff seems expensive though.
I agree - specialty stuff is expensive. I think the power dollies are wildly expensive given that they are trivial compared to the European style movers, and given that an equivalent can built at home (albeit by an unusually talented fabricator) from a list of materials and components in which by far the most expensive bit is a $125 winch.

Low-volume production is just expensive.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
I have used it with my Casita, but with larger trailers it would need the battery connected directly to maintain the amperage, and not drawing power through the trailer battery.
I'm sure the trailer battery would still be fine, but I agree that it would benefit from a more direct wiring connection than the trailer umbilical, especially if that is not wired for high capacity. A trolling motor outlet on the trailer, wired direct to the battery (with a fuse at the battery end) would be suitable.