Trailer Dolly - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2016, 10:53 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by PnFSJCA View Post
Hi,
I've been using my Power Mover AC6 with my Escape 21 since I brought the trailer home in June 2014. I use it to pull into my driveway "head first" after un-hitching from my tow vehicle. The AC6 has worked flawlessly for me. I have a slight incline where the driveway meets the gutter and I've had no issues whatsoever. That said, I only use it on smooth concrete and asphalt and again, only a slight incline. I posted several pictures in the "Anyone use a power dolly ..." thread mentioned earlier and I'm happy to answer any questions too. Cheers!
Fletch
What can of slope do you have if I can ask ? Do you know the percent of slope ? I do have concrete but I need to know if my 19 wouldn't be a problem after I unhook in street . Does your's have the 120 to run ? What about brakes ? Sure would like a easier way to get the trailer in it's spot . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:05 AM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, May 2014
Hello,
My driveway is nearly flat. The transition from driveway to street includes a very, very slight slope...just the drainage slope designed into the road. I have a 12 volt battery that connects through a 7 pin connector to the trailer brakes, which are operated by a switch on the puller handle. The puller plugs in to an outlet in the garage and has a 75 foot long power cord. If I were in the market again, I would look closely at the Purple Line trailer mover. That looks like the coolest thing since sliced bread. But my Power Mover works great for me. Very happy with it.
Fletch
Fletch Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:20 AM   #23

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by PnFSJCA View Post
Hello,
My driveway is nearly flat. The transition from driveway to street includes a very, very slight slope...just the drainage slope designed into the road. I have a 12 volt battery that connects through a 7 pin connector to the trailer brakes, which are operated by a switch on the puller handle. The puller plugs in to an outlet in the garage and has a 75 foot long power cord. If I were in the market again, I would look closely at the Purple Line trailer mover. That looks like the coolest thing since sliced bread. But my Power Mover works great for me. Very happy with it.
Fletch
Not sure if it would work for us . I have talked to them at shows and really they weren't positive either . When the trailer is in it's spot it is almost flat on concrete . I have seen the Purple Line also . That is really neat .When I am coming home I can't relax until trailer is parked. Might have something to do with the first trip home from picking up and Trans overheated , seals went and and Trans fluild dumped as I was backing up . Required a Trans rebuild . Thanks for info . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:55 AM   #24

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I had looked these over a while back.

If there was something like this that could be easily removed when not in use, I think they would be great. Otherwise they are always exposed to the elements and road grime, plus they don't look so nice either.

I believe they were quite pricey too, for a couple motors and traction rollers. All this kinda stuff seems expensive though.

One thing to remember with these, that while there would be no issue driving the wheels on gravel, you would need a big fat hitch wheel so it didn't dig in.
I agree, it would be nice if they could be removed when not in use. However, I'll put up with their visual appearance if it'll work at getting the trailer moved in the gravel area as that's our only option. I'm not going to be humping around bits of plywood. And it looks like the other devices won't work for our situation.

Good point on the hitch wheel, thanks. Never thought of that. Is it possible to change those out without giving yourself problems in other areas? (Clueless about all this stuff.)
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 12:24 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Good point on the hitch wheel, thanks. Never thought of that. Is it possible to change those out without giving yourself problems in other areas? (Clueless about all this stuff.)
I have never seen anything but the kind like Escape sells, which does not work on gravel very well, as it will dig in. Not sure what is available as far as larger removable hitch wheels go, but you could always have something made.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 12:52 PM   #26

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If you make one, you need to take into consideration that it must be removable, and if it is too tall, you won't be able to install it on the post.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:04 PM   #27

You could always build it as a dually, with the jack post dropping between. A couple small inflatable tires would fit the bill. An axle welded to an appropriate sized tube would work fine.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-18-2016, 01:04 PM   #28

OMG, that must be a full sized photo, as the tire is only 13". LOL
Old 02-18-2016, 03:10 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I must be missing something...If you're moving the trailer with something like the ParkIt 360, you don't use the jack wheel provided by Escape. Once you're done moving it, gravel or not, you're putting the jack wheel back on (or a jack plate).
Old 02-18-2016, 03:33 PM   #30

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
I must be missing something...If you're moving the trailer with something like the ParkIt 360, you don't use the jack wheel provided by Escape. Once you're done moving it, gravel or not, you're putting the jack wheel back on (or a jack plate).
I think they were referring to how the Purple Line mover will work in gravel and it'll probably be what we go with. For that system, you will be using the jack wheel.

I did get a price from the dealer in Canada for the Purple Line Enduro model with two motors (even though the trailer is a double axle, it's not heavy enough to require 4 motors), which is $2189.40 CAD (doubt it includes taxes) and the remote is $645.12. Right now the ETA would be 1-2 weeks.

I need to see what it would be with taxes and the exchange rate vs having it shipped here in US $.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:29 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I don't like the idea of moving the trailer using the tongue jack wheel, and avoid it as much as possible. Even on my previous 17, there was a lot of lateral pressure on that jack post, especially if you needed to turn a little. On the 19, it's even worse. And I don't think the added resistance to the tires being in gravel is going to help at all.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:56 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
I don't like the idea of moving the trailer using the tongue jack wheel, and avoid it as much as possible. Even on my previous 17, there was a lot of lateral pressure on that jack post, especially if you needed to turn a little. On the 19, it's even worse. And I don't think the added resistance to the tires being in gravel is going to help at all.
I've been in touch with the US distributor of the Purple Line movers and he suggested I get a large dual wheel caster for the jack. Otherwise, he said their device will work great on gravel with the trailer. Now to research the caster he suggested. Does anyone know if that's possible on the Escapes? Thanks.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:02 PM   #33

It would be helpful to explain why you need to orient the trailer that way. Somebody might have another solution.
And, if you are having issues with the city over the gravel pad, what are they going to say about storing your trailer there? Any bylaws in the way?
Old 02-19-2016, 02:34 PM   #34

I thought I already mentioned that, but maybe not. I want to park the trailer with the hitch facing away from the road. It's not a pull through area, so the plan is to pull parallel to the road, unhitch and then move the trailer into place. By having the hitch away from the road we figure it'll lessen the risk of theft, plus the door will be facing towards the house and we can see it in the porch Nest camera. There have been issues with break-ins and such in this neighborhood before. Heck, the battery out of my Trooper was stolen once!

The parking area is loose gravel and while not exactly level, it's better than what we had before, which was filled with laurels and steep. The issue with the city is drainage as we're right at the end of an area that could flood. Although we're not in a flooding area, being higher up, our lot is still in that section, even though it applies to houses farther down the hill and towards the freeway. We're not completely done with it and it'll be longer and more level when it's done.

There aren't any issues with parking an RV as many in the neighborhood have them. Heck, someone is living in a 5th wheel a few houses away, although it's not allowed (she even told me that herself, which kind of surprised me that she'd say that).

I've attached two photos of the parking area. One shows the street while the other shows it with the street to my back (more or less). As you can see, it's not complete, but it gives you a good idea of where it'll be parked.

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be great! It's our first (and only!) trailer, so there's lots we need to learn about it.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
DSC03966.JPG   DSC03965.JPG  
Old 02-19-2016, 02:59 PM   #35

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Can't tell for sure, but that looks big enough to pull straight in and angle straight along the fence then stop with enough room to unhitch and pull back around, or pull forward a bit and then back it out. The mover thing sounds like a lot of $$
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:10 PM   #36

I would not want to attempt it as there's a steep drop off. Granted, it will be longer when we get it all done, but I still don't want to risk falling off the front edge. We're going to be pulling with a Tundra.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:52 PM   #37

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Have you given any thought to a front hitch on your truck, some plywood for the tongue wheel and pushing the trailer from the rear bike hitch. Perhaps have ETI strengthen that point to take the additional stress.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:28 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Have you given any thought to a front hitch on your truck, some plywood for the tongue wheel and pushing the trailer from the rear bike hitch. Perhaps have ETI strengthen that point to take the additional stress.
Nope, can't say I've ever thought of that. Would that be similar to what you see on cars that are towed behind a motorhome? Are they permanently attached or is it removable?
Old 02-19-2016, 05:58 PM   #39

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You have a receiver mounted to your front, permanent, all you will see is the square tube. Insert a special female stinger and a male ball stinger on the trailer, hook up and push. May work, just an idea.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:34 PM   #40

Scares me as a solution.
Turning the trailer would twist the receiver, putting a lot of load on it. A straight push or pull, less so.
And, I'd pretty much expect the jack to collapse in that loose gravel.