Trailer Level during Storage - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2013, 10:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Trailer Level during Storage

Quick question -
We keep our trailer at the house on a dedicated concrete pad next to the garage. I’ve noticed that even with a slight forward pitch to allow water run off, I still get some standing water on the roof. Is it okay (with regard to the tandem axle) to pitch the trailer at a steep angle to prevent pooling water on the roof? Meaning, keep the trailer lower in the front (or back) for long periods of time? I assume there’s not an issue, but wanted to get a read from more knowledgeable folks.

Thanks,
Richard
NorTexCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:09 AM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I would put blocks under the tires at the raised end if the angle is substantial. If the trailer were tilted enough to take all the weight off one axle (although I assume you're not going that extreme) the rubber springs/bushings of the other axle would be overloaded... continually.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:07 AM   #3

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Try tilting it from side to side not front to back . Drive one side up on some 2 X 12s .
The load may be more even.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:02 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I have the same issue with collecting rainwater. I have found that it collects around the front of the bathroom vent. Lowering the tongue helped but it also will collect around the rear of the vent. My conclusion is, it helps to tip it low but it does not solve the problem. I have been careful to keep that area of the roof well waxed. Your experience may vary.

Not related, but in the same area I had seeping through the rivet holes for the bathroom vent. Some very minor wetness on the toilet seat. Here I found the rivet holes had been covered with a white caulk, not able to determine what type. I peeled the old caulk off by hand, it was a nurdle on each rivet, and replaced it with a dollop of Dicor type RV caulk. Problem solved.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:33 AM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
Try tilting it from side to side not front to back . Drive one side up on some 2 X 12s .
The load may be more even.
Same idea in one way as I suggested: support the high-side tires so the axle loads (axle-to-axle or side-to-side) don't change so much with the height.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote