Trans/Differential Oil Change Interval - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2015, 02:43 PM   #41

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuthatchBC View Post
I don't know...I'm a bit dubious about this one. I have been warned by a couple of first-rate mechanics (friends of mine, not looking for business) to not fiddle with recently made vehicles. Unless you know exactly what you're doing, you could do more harm than good. I'm thinkin' this scan gauge could be a case of " a little knowledge may be dangerous"...
I can't see how observing operating conditions can do any harm - we're not talking about quantum-scale observations in physics here. Making decisions with information has to be better than making the same decisions without information, or just ignoring a situation hoping it is okay.

I don't have transmission temperature monitoring in my tug, but if I had any reason to be concerned I would rather read the temperature than either ignore the concern or add an extra transmission fluid cooler (which would risk causing harm).

My motorhome has a transmission temperature gauge. I like knowing that the temperature is not a problem, and I generally ignore the reading, checking it only under exceptional conditions (such climbing a mountain while towing a car). I would rather glance at that gauge than decide not to drive somewhere (or at some speed, or towing some load) within the vehicle's rated capabilities just because I was concerned about transmission temperature and had no way to check it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:09 PM   #42

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuthatchBC View Post
I don't know...I'm a bit dubious about this one. I have been warned by a couple of first-rate mechanics (friends of mine, not looking for business) to not fiddle with recently made vehicles. Unless you know exactly what you're doing, you could do more harm than good. I'm thinkin' this scan gauge could be a case of " a little knowledge may be dangerous". It would be good to keep track of mileage, fuel consumption, etc. but mechanical issues, I don't think so. Just my $0.02.

Doug
While I disagree, ones comfort level should come first.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:58 PM   #43

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
We are talking about 2 different kinds of scanners. One that you plug in to the vehicles computer to diagnose an engine or brake problem and one that will let you monitor vehicle functions. I wouldn't use the first on on my new truck and don't need the second one as everything can be brought up on the dash screen. Coming back from Chilliwack last fall, I got a low tire warning on the dash and that probably saved me from buy an expensive truck tire. About the only thing it can't tell you is when you should make a rest stop. But give it time. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:07 PM   #44

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
In the case of the Scangauge, it does both, to a degree.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:12 PM   #45

Trailer: Shopping tv 2014 Nissan Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
We are talking about 2 different kinds of scanners. One that you plug in to the vehicles computer to diagnose an engine or brake problem and one that will let you monitor vehicle functions. I wouldn't use the first on on my new truck and don't need the second one as everything can be brought up on the dash screen. Coming back from Chilliwack last fall, I got a low tire warning on the dash and that probably saved me from buy an expensive truck tire. About the only thing it can't tell you is when you should make a rest stop. But give it time. Loren
love my monitors
mk1549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:26 PM   #46

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
Scangauge

On my older Ford V-10 engines in smaller motorhomes the dash temp gauge was a 3 position indicator, cold, normal and hot. The scan gauge gave readings in degrees to warn me if something was changing instead of it already has reached a damaging point. With the new vehicles at times there is no need for the scan gauge except to read faults which does give a hint at the possible cost for repair. I think I'll keep mine for now.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:49 PM   #47

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
We are talking about 2 different kinds of scanners. One that you plug in to the vehicles computer to diagnose an engine or brake problem and one that will let you monitor vehicle functions. I wouldn't use the first on on my new truck and don't need the second one as everything can be brought up on the dash screen.
Same port, but yes, there is a range of capabilities in the equipment you can attach to it. The cheapest just display error codes, the next step up provides translations of those codes, another level lets you reset codes (intended to be used after you have addressed the reported condition), and the most functional also let you monitor various parameters... in some cases (not the ScanGauge) with nice dash graphics. I'm pretty sure all of the advanced devices for monitoring can also simply report error codes.

I see no reason to avoid reading error codes (not resetting them) on a new vehicle, other than a lack of desire to understanding a problem (which is understandable, for those who are simply not interested). Reading the codes won't hurt anything. If your vehicle never produces an error code, that's fortunate (none of my OBD-equipped vehicles has ever reported an error ), but not everyone is so lucky.

The range of information available on dash displays varies greatly by model, and even by trim level within the model. I found it interesting that a Dodge Charger which I recently rented was able to precisely display transmission temperature... in a vehicle which is highly unlikely to ever tow anything or carry any significant load. Once the display is there, it's just programming. If the factory doesn't put this capability in for whatever reason - my 2012 Mazda doesn't have a suitable display, for instance - then a separate device is the way to get that information.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote