Trans/Differential Oil Change Interval - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2015, 08:54 PM   #21

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuthatchBC View Post
How do you know what the temperature of the oil is? We have a 2012 Tacoma and there are no numbers on the gauge. I just watch it to make sure it stays in the normal range.
I used a Scangauge with my Trailblazer...plugs into your vehicles OBD II port and displays information from control systems.
ScanGauge - Trip Computer + Digitial Gauges + ScanTools
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:20 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
How do you know what the temperature of the oil is? We have a 2012 Tacoma and there are no numbers on the gauge. I just watch it to make sure it stays in the normal range.
I use a Scangage and there are two transmission temperature sensors that can be accessed on my FJ.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:28 AM   #23

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I checked the manual, and it looks like the only temperature gauge in a 2012 Tacoma is for the engine coolant... this has been normal for all brands for many years. This reading is somewhat important to cooling the transmission because the transmission fluid cooler is probably in the radiator; however, the engine coolant temperature doesn't tell you anything about the transmission fluid temperature.

I would have been very surprised if a Tacoma had a transmission fluid temperature gauge at all - with or without numbers. My motorhome - built on a Ford F53 chassis and so using a Ford SuperDuty instrument cluster - has both engine oil temperature and transmission fluid temperature gauges (both without numbers) but I've never seen a light-duty vehicle with a transmission temperature gauge.

I agree that the dash gauges are just to indicate if operation is outside of normal range, or moving that way. As other have mentioned, an OBD instrument (such as a ScanGauge) is the modern way to go for more precise information.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:43 AM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
There is a warning light if the transmission temp goes too high on my RAV4.
I know because I got it to light up by towing up the Coquihalla to the summit in third gear at 90 kph ( 56 mph ), I think 8 per cent grade.
Instruction manual says to use 4, not 4D and not 3.
Had transmission fluid changed shortly after. Service manager did not comment on colour of the fluid, so it must have been OK.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:08 AM   #25

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Nuthatch, you could call or email the folks at Scangauge and ask them if there are any X-Gauge commands for your 2012, the web site shows there are but you might want to verify it before buying the gauge. You then have to program the code into the gauge, which isn't hard to do, to get it to display them. You do have to find somewhere to put the gauge and come up with a way to route the cable.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:41 AM   #26

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Here is a link to scan gauge site, codes for Toyota trans cooler.

https://www.scangauge.com/support/x-...yota-specific/
Appears codes do exist and I have read on tacoma site folks can program their gauge to read trans temp.

As suggested above you can always contact them.

Dave
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:52 AM   #27

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw View Post
I used a Scangauge with my Trailblazer...plugs into your vehicles OBD II port and displays information from control systems.
ScanGauge - Trip Computer + Digitial Gauges + ScanTools
OK, I'll bite...what is an OBD II port?

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:04 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
On board diagnostics ?? is my guess. where they do the emission testing.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:04 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
Can’t speak for the Tacoma but my 2012 4Runner has 2 transmission temperature sensors, one at the pan and the second at the torque converter. I was able to program the ScanGauge to read both and also programmed it to read the engine coolant temperature. Wish I could help on the X-Gauge commands but I don’t remember what they were for the 4Runner and the Tacoma could be different.
Attached Thumbnails
Before Transmission Cooler.jpg  
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:06 PM   #30

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
On Board Diagnostics ... It's a multi pin port that can access the vehicle's computer.
On-board diagnostics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:25 PM   #31
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:

Doug
Under your dash on the left near the door usually. You know when your "check engine" light comes on and the mechanic has to read the code? He plugs his reader in there. By the way, you can get a code reader for cheap. Mine has saved me a ton of money by finding the code and fixing the issue myself.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:35 PM   #32

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:

Doug
I googled OBD port 2012 Tacoma and somebody posted this - Under the dash in the area above where your left knee would be. There's a marked cover over it.

Hope this helps.

Mark
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:18 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I have an Actron scanner and it reads out in plain english what the problem is when the check engine light comes on. It is a little better unit and also reads the brake problems. Several years ago when the check brake light came on I plugged in and saw that it was a faulty ABS sensor down at the left front wheel. I didn't want to fix it myself but also knew that the garage wasn't going to pull a fast one on me and say it was the control box under the seat. Paid about $200 for the scanner. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:35 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Robert, Does your new truck give you transmission fluid temps and if so have you taken note when pulling on a grade. On my GMC I can bring the digital temps up on the screen but in researching the book there is no mention of how hot it can get. Information online indicates that fluid temperatures should not exceed 200 degrees for any length of time. I would have to assume that if you get the transmission fluid to hot, the dash will light up like a Christmas tree. Loren
Old 03-29-2015, 01:52 PM   #35

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
I don't know...I'm a bit dubious about this one. I have been warned by a couple of first-rate mechanics (friends of mine, not looking for business) to not fiddle with recently made vehicles. Unless you know exactly what you're doing, you could do more harm than good. I'm thinkin' this scan gauge could be a case of " a little knowledge may be dangerous". It would be good to keep track of mileage, fuel consumption, etc. but mechanical issues, I don't think so. Just my $0.02.

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:54 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
Information online indicates that fluid temperatures should not exceed 200 degrees for any length of time. I would have to assume that if you get the transmission fluid to hot, the dash will light up like a Christmas tree.
A high transmission temperature light is likely displayed only if a condition is reached which requires action to protect the transmission (such as reduction of engine power). A transmission fluid temperature which is too high to be acceptable for long-term durability would not likely trigger this light.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:10 PM   #37

Quote:
I don't know...I'm a bit dubious about this one. I have been warned by a couple of first-rate mechanics (friends of mine, not looking for business) to not fiddle with recently made vehicles. Unless you know exactly what you're doing, you could do more harm than good. I'm thinkin' this scan gauge could be a case of " a little knowledge may be dangerous". It would be good to keep track of mileage, fuel consumption, etc. but mechanical issues, I don't think so. Just my $0.02.

Doug
I am going to agree with you there. I use this on my 2002 Chevrolet Astro van work truck and did on a 1998 Astro passenger van. As for my 2014 GMC tug, that thing is so computerized I wouldn't touch it for nothing. Plus as the scanner is several years old it would have to be upgraded to work on the new vehicle. Loren
Old 03-29-2015, 02:14 PM   #38

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm always amazed at my oil temperature, my transmission fluids are all normal but my oil gets hotter than either my water or my trans fluid. Anyone have a chart for normal?
Old 03-29-2015, 02:30 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
You do have to find somewhere to put the gauge and come up with a way to route the cable.
This is certainly an issue with something like the ScanGauge (or my Autotel cheapo equivalent). There are also OBD readers which plug into the port and connect to a mobile device (smartphone or tablet) by Bluetooth, so there's no cable. The readers are relatively cheap and interchangeable; Torque might be the best known app to talk to them. Even with this Bluetooth approach, you still need to mount the phone or tablet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
On board diagnostics ?? is my guess. where they do the emission testing.
Yes, and this raises a good point: the auto manufacturers are only required to provide emissions-related data to the port. They provide much more there, but since they routinely do not publish the addressing scheme for this additional data, companies such as the maker of the ScanGauge need to figure it out - the less common your vehicle, the less likely the codes will be worked out for you.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:33 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm always amazed at my oil temperature, my transmission fluids are all normal but my oil gets hotter than either my water or my trans fluid. Anyone have a chart for normal?
Sorry, I don't have any kind of information about normal acceptable engine oil temperatures, but I would certainly expect to always be hotter than coolant. It is, after all, oil rather than water+glycol, operates under very different conditions, and should be hotter to do its job properly.