Truck stop washing and waxing - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2018, 08:40 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Truck stop washing and waxing

I mentioned to a friend who has lived in trailers (stick built) for years that I needed to wax my new to me 2016 19 which the former owner said had never been waxed. And, that with my knee surgery, it could be weeks or months before I can climb a ladder. He suggested that I take it to a local truck stop where they would wash it and then do a spray wax. He said he had taken his rig, some with fiberglass panels, and had this done for years.

I am not sure this would be a good idea, but hoping it is. It would solve a worry I have for keeping my trailer in good condition.

Seeking your wisdom.

Mary
Mary LG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:43 AM   #2

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
Can't wait to see the comments.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:46 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My concern is as the trailer ages, plastic bits, like vents, become brittle. I would be concerned that they wouldn't be given the gentle attention they deserve.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:35 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
That spray wax stuff is nasty. Someone 'did me a favor' and took a car of mine through that once, and ugh. I use a mild marine cleaner-wax like Meguliars, and do a panel at a time. you do want some sort of scaffolding for doing the roof, as trying to wax that with a step ladder is an exercise in frustration.... but really, you can do a couple square yards at a time, rub the cleaner in, then buff out the wax.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:45 AM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I know nothing about spray waxing like you mention so can't help with that. You might try calling an auto detailer or marina, surely there is someone that waxes boats for folks that don't want to do it themselves.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:23 AM   #6

Location: In my Escape...full time. Currently in Maine, Maine
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Another Escape owner mentioned to me that they take their 19 to a local detailer during the shoulder/off season. They do a full clean and wax at a very reasonable price. Might want to check with some of those folks in your area.
CarlNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:14 PM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 15A
Trailer Wash and Wax

I have found success with having a boat/car detailer come to my house to wash and wax my Escape 15A. There are even some larger companies that do this. My cost was around $200 - just as a reference, but my CA Bay Area prices might be a bit higher than other locations.
kkinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:21 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
That spray wax stuff is nasty. Someone 'did me a favor' and took a car of mine through that once, and ugh. I use a mild marine cleaner-wax like Meguliars, and do a panel at a time. you do want some sort of scaffolding for doing the roof, as trying to wax that with a step ladder is an exercise in frustration.... but really, you can do a couple square yards at a time, rub the cleaner in, then buff out the wax.

Agree on the impracticality bordering on impossibility of waxing the whole roof on one of these with only a step ladder. Some of the roof of our old 19' Scamp bed hitched trailer never got waxed, I must admit. Thinking back, I might have slopped some on with a beach towel and a pole, and did not buff it. But if I did so I wasted expensive wax by wetting so much towel with it. And our 5.0TA is taller and wider. Would you please expand on what scaffolding you use?
Old 02-19-2018, 03:23 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by phalaney View Post
Agree on the impracticality bordering on impossibility of waxing the whole roof on one of these with only a step ladder. Some of the roof of our old 19' Scamp bed hitched trailer never got waxed, I must admit. Thinking back, I might have slopped some on with a beach towel and a pole, and did not buff it. But if I did so I wasted expensive wax by wetting so much towel with it. And our 5.0TA is taller and wider. Would you please expand on what scaffolding you use?
The Casita is only 6' wide, which probably made it easier, and its body is only about 12' long. I used one of those aluminum multi-ladders that has 4 sections (3 locking hinges), setup so the middle two sections were flat and horizontal, and laid 2x12 planks across it to stand on... this made a 8' long platform 4' off the ground, so I could rub and buff one whole side of the roof at a time. With a taller escape, this would be much harder, and probably require renting some actual scaffolding from a rent-all place.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:34 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I bought one of those Little Giant Alta-One ladders on the advice of someone from the forum, and then constructed a small carpeted platform for the top, again from an idea here on the forum. These ladders are nice because you can get one leg of the ladder almost vertical against the side of the trailer, meaning less of a reach. I can reach the top of my 19 much more easily, although it is a stretch to reach the center area to wax.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:12 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
For my TA, I use one side of a multi-purpose ladder, similar to a Little Giant and lean it against the trailer. I got a large pool noodle, sliced in half length ways and clipped to the ladder. It works quite well to protect the gelcoat from scratching. I can easily reach half the roof from each side for cleaning and waxing.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:19 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Thanks both for your experiences with laddering around your Escapes. I'm just shy of 6' so the noodled step ladder solution might work for me...