Walk on Roof - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2017, 03:55 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita 2013
Walk on Roof

I currently own a 17' Casita and need something just a bit bigger, so I am considering the Escape 21' and the 5.0TA, and possibly the Big Foot 25'.

I also have been considering the Airstream 25FB Twin. This is the floor plan I much prefer, but cannot find in Fiberglass.

Because of the floor plan, I have been leaning toward the Airstream. That is, right up until I read on the forum that a person cannot walk on the roof. A step on the skin between the ribs results in major denting. This does not seem reasonable to me and my interest in the Airstream has declined considerably.

That brings me back to the FG trailers.

Back when I purchased my Casita I asked the Mfg if l can walk on the roof and they said sure. I gave it no further thought and I did so with no problems whatsoever. I casually mentioned this in a thread on the Casita forum and was told it is very unwise to do so, so I stopped, for the most part. Still and all, it is nice to know that the roof can handle my 240 lbs without any issues.

Can a person of my weight walk on the roof of a 21' or the 5.0TA? For maintenance and waxing primarily. I understand that the center of the trailers can be reached using a ladder, that is not what I am asking. Is the Escape built strong enough to hold my weight?
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 05:39 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
I have a 5TA and when I picked my trailer up I asked that question and was told No.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:40 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Besides being very slippery there is not much room up there to walk around, multiple vents and covers and panels and shrouds are all up there. Not sure why one would want to have access to the cluttered area, any maintenance can be done from the sides. Perhaps an interior wooden support can be fabricated, I have heard of some over on FGRV to support roofs for snow loads.
In addition even stepping near a vent can cause any seal to break whether aluminum or fiberglass thereby causing more issues.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:26 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Definitely, no. It will crack the gelcoat if you walk around on Escape roof.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:48 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita 2013
Thanks to all who have replied.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote