Wax for fiberglass - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2019, 05:31 PM   #21

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Maguiar’s Wax

When I bought my 2007 Escape 17b, it had moss growing on the roof. The old guy I bought it from wasn’t very mobile anymore.

After talking to some boaters and driving to different stores, I bought a Maguiar’s fibreglass restoration kit off Amazon, cleaner, polish and wax. After a lot of elbow grease, it looked great. The previous owners used a winter cover and I had a hard time getting the shine back. I think the winter covers are bad for the gelcoat. They blow in the wind all winter. Get it shrink wrapped instead.

https://www.meguiars.com/marine/prod...stem-m4965-kit

Be really really careful if your using a polisher. Unless you know what you’re doing, you might go right through the gelcoat.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:16 PM   #22

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Well I used that Meguiars to start on the trailer fall waxing today. Here's the first half of the roof done.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1384.jpg  
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:59 PM   #23

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
I’ve used Starbrite and Meguiar’s but now prefer Collinite with a DA Polisher. The real solution to me was when I got the polisher and found that I could use it at the storage yard where I keep my 19 that doesn’t have access to AC. I turn on my inverter and the sun keeps my batteries charged while I wax my 19. Also, I started using Starbrite on the trip home from Chilliwack.
I just supplied myself with Collinite 920 & 925 and a Porter Cable DA polisher. I'm having a hard time determining what pad to use on my lightly oxidized 2016 19 footer. Any suggestions?
Kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:24 PM   #24

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Did you pick a brand of pads or do you have nothing?
Not that I;ve tried Collinite but in general I'd buy a cutting, a polishing, and a finishing pad. For your light oxidation I'd try the 920 with the polishing pad and see how it goes. If it doesn't take off the oxidation enough then try it with the cutting pad. Obviously you'd use the finishing pad with the 925.

I've gotten in the habit of writing on the back of the pad what I used on it with a Sharpie. I do the same with the little foam hand pads for the spots you can't get at with the DA.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:06 PM   #25

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Lake Country pads (naturally the most expensive!!) seem to be the most preferred. I'm thinking orange for the front and top of the trailer (most oxidized), and white for the remainder (still shines).
Kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:32 AM   #26

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Looks like a good guess. Not knowing the products it might be worth doing a panel with both the compound and the finish to see how it turns out before doing the whole trailer. Don't want swirl marks.