Wax for fiberglass - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2019, 05:40 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5 TA
Wax for fiberglass

Is there a waiting time before you first wax your trailer to allow curing of Gelcoat? What is the best wax for the trailers?
Greg and Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:59 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Pretty sure I was told wait 6 months, but that's back in 2014. Any wax will work, personally I use Starbrite Marine Polish. I also have Meguiar's Marine Wax but switched to the Starbrite. Tried both a couple years ago, each on 1/2 the trailer. The wax looked better but didn't last as long as the polish, going by beading up of water.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:07 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have always waited 6 months, for my cars and trailers....
Old 09-06-2019, 11:09 PM   #4
BDE

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
We did ours approx 10 months after pickup and used Meguiars Marine/RV cleaner wax (M5016c). The wax went on and came off great. So far we have been very happy with the results. Not sure who gets more rain: you up in Port Hardy or us down here in Vancouver but I can tell you that the water still beads up despite all our rain, dirt roads and several washes.
BDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:47 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I use Meguiars Marine boat wax. They make two marine waxes one is just a wax and one is a cleaner wax. I use the non-cleaner wax. I have found that this wax is effective. I store my trailer in a heated workshop so it is not in the elements all year. Several people have remarked how new and shiny my trailer appeared while out camping.

I wax the entire trailer once per year. A suggestion - put three coats on the front of the trailer and bugs will just wash right off with no scrubbing.
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:57 AM   #6

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
During orientation June 24 I was told I could use Carnauba and I had no time restrictions on when I could wax
Old 09-21-2019, 10:57 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
How do you all manage to wax the top of the 5.0? I bought a ladder but can't quite reach the middle of the trailer to wax the roof.
drjenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:36 AM   #8

Did you lower the front legs?
Old 09-22-2019, 07:27 AM   #9

No, but the ladder is fine, plenty tall. I can't reach the center even behind the axles. Do you all use some sort of extended brush to apply wax? How do you get pressure? Scratching my head a bit trying to figure out how I'm going to accomplish the roof without literally crawling up there, which is not an option. Any methods anyone can share?
Old 09-22-2019, 07:27 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Did you lower the front legs?
the legs on the Escape, not the the ladder........
Old 09-22-2019, 07:30 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I’ve used Starbrite and Meguiar’s but now prefer Collinite with a DA Polisher. The real solution to me was when I got the polisher and found that I could use it at the storage yard where I keep my 19 that doesn’t have access to AC. I turn on my inverter and the sun keeps my batteries charged while I wax my 19. Also, I started using Starbrite on the trip home from Chilliwack.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:33 AM   #12

Quote:
the legs on the Escape, not the the ladder........
Yes, I understood. Lowering the legs on the escape is not going to do anything, as height is not the issue. The ladder can reach vertically. Lowering the legs also will not do anything for the rear of the trailer, in fact it will raise it.
So just for the sake of discussion, remove the front of the trailer, forward of the axles, from the equation. Let me restate my request as:
How do you all reach the center of the trailer behind the axle, when waxing, without crawling on the roof?
Old 09-22-2019, 08:08 AM   #13

Trailer: 2016 21 ft. with 2013 F150 Tug
I understand what you're saying, your arms are not long enough to safely reach the middle of the roof. One way to solve the problem is to take a long handled car wash brush and fasten a micro soft cloth around the brush. If you use polish it's a little easier to apply to the cloth and apply to the surface. Just use another cloth in the same manner to wipe the polish off. It might not be quite as good as using a buffer but it will get the job done.
grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:30 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjenk View Post
How do you all manage to wax the top of the 5.0? I bought a ladder but can't quite reach the middle of the trailer to wax the roof.
I do squat the front end right done with the jacks, then can reach halfway across from a tall stable step ladder. if you feel uncomfortable doing this you can have someone hold and stabilize it, though I did not have the need. You can always use an extension ladder with some padding (like pool noodle) where the ladder lays on the trailer.

The trailer is only 3'8" to center.

Always be careful on ladders though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by grump View Post
I understand what you're saying, your arms are not long enough to safely reach the middle of the roof. One way to solve the problem is to take a long handled car wash brush and fasten a micro soft cloth around the brush. If you use polish it's a little easier to apply to the cloth and apply to the surface. Just use another cloth in the same manner to wipe the polish off. It might not be quite as good as using a buffer but it will get the job done.
Yes I was just browsing some liquid based waxes, seems like it would be more conducive to this method as it would be easier to spread without a lot of downward pressure using an extension. Thanks for the suggestion and I will report back to this thread with my experiences.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:47 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I do squat the front end right done with the jacks, then can reach halfway across from a tall stable step ladder. if you feel uncomfortable doing this you can have someone hold and stabilize it, though I did not have the need. You can always use an extension ladder with some padding (like pool noodle) where the ladder lays on the trailer.

The trailer is only 3'8" to center.

Always be careful on ladders though.
I cannot seem to reach the center without leaning to such a degree that makes it unsafe IMO. I have an extendable ladder that is portable, very solid and works great, it's not a step ladder but a telesteps extendable, such that I am facing the center of the trailer when climbing, and ya I do use pool noodle sections to rest on the fiberglass. I considered a portable step ladder but it just seemed less stable to me. I may be a little over cautions of ladders but I've just seen them involved in too many horrible accidents in my lifetime. I think I'm going to try the extendable brush method as someone here suggested, it is the only thing I was actually mulling, but posted here as there are so many genius solutions to problems I have found on this forum I figured someone would have another one for this problem. It is really on the center of the top that is the difficulty, for the rest I plan to use a powered polisher where I can reach comfortably and securely.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:57 AM   #17

While I have no issue reaching the center, I do find if I use Starbrite, which I do, that it takes pretty much no pressure to apply or remove if you put it on thin.

Another thing, I use a polisher like below, it weighs enough where I don't have to add much pressure. It might enough reach to get to the middle for you.

Once the roof oxidizes, it takes pressure to remove the oxidation before you can wax or polish it. Not everyone worries about the roof.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:01 AM   #18

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Nice but pricey
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:05 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
I’ve used Starbrite and Meguiar’s but now prefer Collinite with a DA Polisher. The real solution to me was when I got the polisher and found that I could use it at the storage yard where I keep my 19 that doesn’t have access to AC. I turn on my inverter and the sun keeps my batteries charged while I wax my 19. Also, I started using Starbrite on the trip home from Chilliwack.
After talking to pros at the yacht club about what's the best wax to use on gelcoat, I use Collinite too.

Collinite Fiberglass Boat Cleaner to get the dirt off and Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax applied with a Porter Cable 7424XP.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:56 PM   #20

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
We've used the Meguiars cleaner/wax for five years now since our first Escape (on Alf's recommendation). For years I've bought it on Amazon but just found it in the boat section at Canadian Tire - $16.99 for the 16oz. bottle.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote