What spare fuses to have on hand? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2018, 07:17 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
For anyone considering picking up an assorted box of ATC fuses, just so you know, the only fuses you will ever use on the trailer are 15, 20, 30 and 40 amp. Most assortments have a ton of the low amperage included.

I still have a bunch of the lower amperage fuses, some that I've had for over two decades - and have never needed or used. Now I just keep a few 15, 20, 30 and 40 amp fuses on hand in my toolbox.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:13 PM   #22

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
In Dave's photo there are a few unused fuse positions available... as expected, since Escape doesn't need or use all of the possible DC circuits supported by this power centre. The extra places can be used to park spare fuses - it's an easy-to-find location for them.
That is a great idea. The WFCO 8955 is nice in that it indicates a blown fuse with a red light next to the fuse. No more random fuse pulling hoping you found the problem. It’s hard enough to get down in there to pull one let alone multiples.

Also a good reminder is that circuits 1-9 on the 12V board are rated for maximum 20 amps. Circuits 10 & 11 are rated for maximum 30 amps. This is useful to know if anyone has ambitious wiring plans ahead.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 08:41 AM   #23

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21, 2014 Northern Lite slide in, 2014 2500 Duramax
There are also 2 low amp fuses on the refrigerator control, located outside on the back of the refrigerator, marked 3 and 5 amp, however both contained 5 amp fuses.

I found that out when I replaced the interior lamp in the fridge with an LED and shorted the connection. It also controls the fridge coming on.
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:41 PM   #24

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
Autozone has an ATC set that contains these 8 fuses for $5.99:

1 each of 10A, 25A, 30A, 40A
2 each of 15A, 20A

https://www.autozone.com/electrical-...146470_0_86924
viator36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:52 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
In my experience you need more than one or two fuses in each amperage, because you think you found the problem, but didn't yet, and the replacement blows.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:36 AM   #26

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
A variety pack is handy but keep in mind that most fuses are 15A with an occasional 20A. There are also two 40A in the WFCO for reverse polarity protection, but these should never blow unless you hook your battery up backwards.

(A little know fact is that circuits 1-9 on the WFCO 12V board are rated for 20A max. Circuits 10 & 11 are rated for 30A max. Probably for slide outs on large RV’s but I know at least one Escape owner who leveraged them for some higher power charging for specialized equipment.)
Attached Thumbnails
6C059011-A7CB-44DD-A1C8-161BDD77DB98.jpeg   B417B18F-3109-411A-84A4-9E7BE4BACEEB.jpg  
Old 02-19-2019, 05:48 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Here is a good variety at Amazon, order there or look for in local store, these ate the type you need for an Escape https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D4GF9BD...a-092258445276
I'd get two boxes, just in case!

Chuck
citabria90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:31 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Spares

On any vehicle, camper, boat anything with fuses I look at the panel
and the in line fuses when I get the unit. I buy a box of 5 of each and on the maxi fuses I get two or three. I also have an assortment box in the tow vehicle glovebox. They don’t take up any room, don’t weigh anything, and don’t cost much. Worth the piece of mind for me. If you have fat fingers you might want to get a fuse puller. In addition some sort of a test light or multimeter is good to have too. If you’re in a campground with an average crowd, there will be someone there who can help you if not with parts , then expertise or maybe both. Especially if there are Escape owners and you ask nice.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-19-2019, 11:00 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
On any vehicle, camper, boat anything with fuses I look at the panel
and the in line fuses when I get the unit. I buy a box of 5 of each and on the maxi fuses I get two or three. I also have an assortment box in the tow vehicle glovebox. They don’t take up any room, don’t weigh anything, and don’t cost much. Worth the piece of mind for me. If you have fat fingers you might want to get a fuse puller. In addition some sort of a test light or multimeter is good to have too. If you’re in a campground with an average crowd, there will be someone there who can help you if not with parts , then expertise or maybe both. Especially if there are Escape owners and you ask nice.
Iowa Dave
Plus an Iowa Dave rated torque wrench …" You picked a fine time to leave me Loose wheel ….."

Tom
Old 02-20-2019, 09:48 AM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Morphing the discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
Plus an Iowa Dave rated torque wrench …" You picked a fine time to leave me Loose wheel ….."
Tom
Hi Tom:
While it is true that there are foolish people like me who buy more than they need or higher quality than their actual skill level can appreciate, I will say, as somewhat germain to the discussion. that the cheap Harbor freight 1/2 inch drive torque wrench will do a perfectly adequate job of setting Escape trailer lug nuts torque. Our lug nut champion Mr. Bill Sonnenburg from two years ago has a favorite torque wrench he travels with. So he gave the Harbor Fright prize he won to a good man who had a new Escape but no wrench. With a 13/16 socket, we checked that $10 on sale wrench against a couple wrenches that cost considerably more and it checked out within a couple pounds. So that’s pretty accurate. If I have a wrench or tool with me, I’m always willing to lend the tool. My background is in supervision so don’t expect much grunting. The weight of tools does add up. I keep some sockets in a plastic box but only the ones I’ve identified as needed on the Escape regularly. About 6 1/2 inch drive sockets. The Highlander has a metric lug nut so I have one of those sockets too, so I don’t have to use the phony Toyota lug nut tool. I’m a hand model and can’t risk a scar.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-29-2019, 09:46 AM   #31
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Reading through this old thread, I realize I don't carry any extra fuses D'oh! The spade fuses are easy enough to come by, it's the 50amp I need to know about. Is this the correct one? TIA.
https://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-CBC-.../dp/B001PTBVL2
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:55 AM   #32

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That looks like the one I carry........