What spare fuses to have on hand? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2018, 01:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
What spare fuses to have on hand?

Hello,

My travel so far has been limited to very close parks, but after my retirement later this year, that will be changing! My first planned trip will be for over 2 weeks so now I am getting serious about what I need to have on hand in the event of an issue.

Not being the most experienced (read, my best solution is to have a long list of fix-it masters in my phone) at repairs, I realize I need to be more self sufficient on the road. The forum has been great and searches have given me a list of tools, etc to carry although, some posts have me scratching my head and running to Google and YouTube to figure out what language the posting is written in because it is beyond my technical understanding. I have learned a bunch. Thank you!

Many posts mention checking fuses, but I can't find which spare fuses and the number of each I should have on hand.

Thanks,

Mary
Mary LG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:17 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Walmart sells a variety pack, 2.5/5/10/15/20/30 amp fuses, that is a good start.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Bringing along a 30 amp MAXI fuse for the battery fuse holder would be a good idea.
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:36 PM   #4

Perfect, gentlemen! Thanks!
Old 08-29-2018, 01:48 PM   #5

Then I went on the Wallmart site. Sorry to be asking again but really lack knowledge. Saw fuses marked ATC,ATO ATM and FMX. And, some kits were numbers only, 2.5 -50 some had a number with a letter, 2A etc.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:55 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Bringing along a 30 amp MAXI fuse for the battery fuse holder would be a good idea.
Like this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-FMM-...dp/B00T3AUUM6/
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 02:43 PM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Walmart sells a variety pack, 2.5/5/10/15/20/30 amp fuses, that is a good start.
Can't speak for anyone else, but my power center has all 15 amp fuses except one 20 amp. The two reverse polarity fuses are 40 amp.
Attached Thumbnails
converter.jpg  
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 02:46 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Here is a good variety at Amazon, order there or look for in local store, these are the type you need for an Escape https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D4GF9BD...a-092258445276
Attached Thumbnails
711wuCLW+6L._SL1200_.jpg  
Old 08-29-2018, 02:48 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
ATO is a DC fuse with an open bottom and the fuse element is exposed
ATC Is a DC fuse where the fuse element is totally enclosed in plastic
ATM is a DC fuse similar to the ATC except smaller (Minature)
The ATM fuse will not fit in the standard fuse holder
The A in 2A stands for amperage
The fuse size is determined by the ampacity of the conductor
You always want to replace a blown fuse with the exact same type and of the same amperage
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 02:51 PM   #10

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
just bought that Amazon set i know nothing about fuses
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:01 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary LG View Post
Then I went on the Wallmart site. Sorry to be asking again but really lack knowledge. Saw fuses marked ATC,ATO ATM and FMX. And, some kits were numbers only, 2.5 -50 some had a number with a letter, 2A etc.
ATC and ATO fuses are like the ones in the fuse panel (shown by Dave); the only difference is whether they are closed or open on the back. The manual for the WFCO Power Center says to use ATC.

ATM are mini fuses - they look like a small version of ATO or ATC. I don't think there are any of these in an Escape, unless one of the appliances has them. FMX is another style entirely - none of those, either.

The letter "A" would presumably just mean "amps". Fuses are rated in amps, indicating the amount of current they allow to flow in the circuit. Small fuses usually just have the number (rating in amps) marked on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
No, that's an FMM fuse. The "Maxi" fuse should look like a big ATC/ATO, and might be labelled APX:(but check... there is some debate over whether the main fuse in an Escape should be 30 amp, 40 amp or 50 amp, and it may depend on how your specific trailer is wired)

Edit note: While I was assembling this Steve provided a concise and authoritative answer, but the illustrations and explanation might still be useful.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:08 PM   #12

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
All mine are atc's, but then it's a 2014. You might want to follow someone's suggestion that has the same year trailer. Solar and an inverter may us something different then the atc's.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:08 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Thanks, that’s good to know. The outlet I plug the television into went dead this spring. Never got around to checking the breakers.

Also the propane detector went off for no reason. After checkting everything out, I had to resort to a little surgery on one of the wires. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
No, that's an FMM fuse. The "Maxi" fuse should look like a big ATC/ATO, and might be labelled APX:(but check... there is some debate over whether the main fuse in an Escape should be 30 amp, 40 amp or 50 amp, and it may depend on how your specific trailer is wired)

Edit note: While I was assembling this Steve provided a concise and authoritative answer, but the illustrations and explanation might still be useful.
Thanks Brian thats helpful. I will probably pick up a couple for the tool box. I would rather have extra than need one and not have it while shaking things out.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:29 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
In a Jam

In many pickups and SUVs there is a fuse panel cover under the hood the is marked fuses. On several that I have owned there is a row of fuses that are spares. A couple times I robbed an auto spare from my rig to help my kids out when they had blown one. You might check your rig to see if you have on board spares. Otherwise I have purchased the ATC kits on occasion with the little pinch type plastic puller included as my thick, powerful but arthritic fingers don’t work so good anymore. Ok they are not powerful either. The bigger maxi fuse in whatever size you have are good to have too. I’d only buy one of these as use should be very rare and you’ll need to find the cause before you replace or you’ll just blow it again.
That’s my experience. If you are where others are camped there’s usually a wizard around somewhere. Read that bored, inquisitive old guy who fancies himself as a knight in shining armor. Former electricians with a short stint in the Boy Scouts are good.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-29-2018, 03:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
In many pickups and SUVs there is a fuse panel cover under the hood the is marked fuses. On several that I have owned there is a row of fuses that are spares. A couple times I robbed an auto spare from my rig to help my kids out when they had blown one. You might check your rig to see if you have on board spares. Otherwise I have purchased the ATC kits on occasion with the little pinch type plastic puller included as my thick, powerful but arthritic fingers don’t work so good anymore. Ok they are not powerful either. The bigger maxi fuse in whatever size you have are good to have too. I’d only buy one of these as use should be very rare and you’ll need to find the cause before you replace or you’ll just blow it again.
That’s my experience. If you are where others are camped there’s usually a wizard around somewhere. Read that bored, inquisitive old guy who fancies himself as a knight in shining armor. Former electricians with a short stint in the Boy Scouts are good.
Iowa Dave
I will keep an eye out for unlocked/unattended Highlanders in a pinch! Hopefully near a Yeti cooler with craft brew.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:42 PM   #17

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
In many pickups and SUVs there is a fuse panel cover under the hood the is marked fuses. On several that I have owned there is a row of fuses that are spares...
In Dave's photo there are a few unused fuse positions available... as expected, since Escape doesn't need or use all of the possible DC circuits supported by this power centre. The extra places can be used to park spare fuses - it's an easy-to-find location for them.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 04:00 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Good point

Brian
Your comment jogged my feeble memory. Last fall we blew a fuse when working on a light. I got a fresh fuse out and the repair was made. Later before I put the little box away, I stuck a couple in the panel blanks and closed it up. Haven't been in there since but your post reminded me that " it seemed like a good idea at the time". My "23 and me" ancestry showed some squirrels in my past so it's all starting to fit together.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-29-2018, 04:29 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Brian
Your comment jogged my feeble memory. Last fall we blew a fuse when working on a light. I got a fresh fuse out and the repair was made. Later before I put the little box away, I stuck a couple in the panel blanks and closed it up. Haven't been in there since but your post reminded me that " it seemed like a good idea at the time". My "23 and me" ancestry showed some squirrels in my past so it's all starting to fit together.
Iowa Dave
On your “23 and me” what was your percentage of Neanderthal? Mine was higher than average, but then Cathy always knew that. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:17 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
No, that's an FMM fuse. The "Maxi" fuse should look like a big ATC/ATO, and might be labelled APX:(but check... there is some debate over whether the main fuse in an Escape should be 30 amp, 40 amp or 50 amp, and it may depend on how your specific
My trailer has a 60 amp fuse - but I did modify the wiring somewhat. I didn't think having a 30 amp fuse on a 55 amp charging circuit was wise. Most Escapes have 8 gauge wire coming from the battery so a 50 amp fuse should be good to use.