Wheel Bearing Maintenance - Page 13 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2016, 10:38 PM   #241

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Thanks Bill

I still think that's far more frequent than should be required, but maybe at the one-year mark is a good opportunity to catch problems that were created at the factory - Dexter's, not Escape.

What I find really sad is that the standards in trailer running gear are so low that the dominant supplier in the industry - Dexter Axle - has this sort of issue; they're not some second-rate economy brand
Great another item to put on my worry plate ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:52 PM   #242

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Great another item to put on my worry plate ! Pat
Sorry!
Fortunately, it is easy to address.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:12 PM   #243

Quote:
Sorry!
Fortunately, it is easy to address.
Not really I just did mine and I tired of the junk being manufactured on trailers I have to replace and take care of . Pat
Old 04-14-2016, 11:38 PM   #244

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Try this:

Amazon.com/speculating/fretting/worrying/
Old 04-15-2016, 12:30 AM   #245

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Not really I just did mine and I tired of the junk being manufactured on trailers I have to replace and take care of . Pat
What I meant was that in one service any factory misadjustment or poor seal installation will be caught. As long as yours were just done competently, you're already in good shape... easy.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:56 AM   #246

Quote:
What I meant was that in one service any factory misadjustment or poor seal installation will be caught. As long as yours were just done competently, you're already in good shape... easy.
Sorry I am crabby . Still had to work today .Mine was the first repack and inspection about 8500 mi 2 yrs 4 mo . Plenty of grease in mine ,but did find one wheel bearing a little tight . Did not see any damage . Have one of those temp thermometer to check wheels until I can spring for wheel sensors . Regreasing was easy just messy . Seals all looked fine on mine . Pat
Old 04-15-2016, 06:01 AM   #247

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tash View Post
When we had our refrigerator replaced in February, I asked the RV place to give me a quote for wheel bearing maintenance. $210 per axle plus parts--holy cow! That would be over $400! I said I would wait a bit to have it done (the trailer will be 2 years old in July). I'm glad there are others that have found better prices--gives me hope that we won't have to spend so much money. Or maybe I just need to learn a new skill and do it myself....hmmm.
Hi: tash... I guess at your rate I have a gold mine RVTech. Glad I have him!!! Charges $39.00 per axle plus $12.00 for all seals and cleaned,and adjusted brakes while the wheels were off. 12% Fed/Prov. tax hurts on top of the bill... but just under a C note and I'm good to tow. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:54 AM   #248

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Alf,
If I were you I'd marry that RVtech to keep him around.......
Old 06-23-2016, 08:35 PM   #249

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Took my Escape in today for some much need bearing and brake maintenance. It sure is hard to find a reputable and fair mechanic around here! First person I talked to quoted me 6 hrs at $115 / hr to repack wheel bearings, plus tax, parts, etc. I didn't even ask about brakes. That seemed like an awful lot! After several sticker shock moments and unanswered emails / phone calls, I just took it into Camping World in New Braunfels. It isn't cheap either, but their senior staff was very knowledgable and friendly. I will probably be doing it myself from here on out, but since I bought mine used I thought I should have a professional take a look...
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:45 PM   #250

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Pays to shop around. Turns out a longtime local tire store had the best rates by far: $70 labor for a tandem axle. That is 1/2 the price quote from a trailer dealer. Wondering what it will be next time.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 11:30 PM   #251

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
Took my Escape in today for some much need bearing and brake maintenance. It sure is hard to find a reputable and fair mechanic around here! First person I talked to quoted me 6 hrs at $115 / hr to repack wheel bearings, plus tax, parts, etc. I didn't even ask about brakes. That seemed like an awful lot! After several sticker shock moments and unanswered emails / phone calls, I just took it into Camping World in New Braunfels. It isn't cheap either, but their senior staff was very knowledgable and friendly. I will probably be doing it myself from here on out, but since I bought mine used I thought I should have a professional take a look...
If it takes a handyman like me two hours tops to do all four wheels, there is no way that it should take a pro even that much.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:39 AM   #252

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I agree with you Jim Bennett. Shopping around, if it's not an emergency, can certainly save some money and it helps if you have a fair idea of what is involved. I stopped at a shop that does brake work for me. They do not specialize in electrical systems. I had an electrical gremlin going on so I asked the shop owner who did that kind of work and priced their work honestly. He sent me to a shop across town and they fixed me up for $60. Sometimes referrals are good to get also. When I got new tires this spring I took the tires and wheels off at home two at a time and took them to my tire dealer on a rainy day in March. They mounted and balanced the tires and remarked that it was nice not to have to pull them off outside in their lot. When I put them back on the 19, I torqued them myself and did not worry about too tight or to loose. I never thought that growing up in a filling station would come in so handy 55 years later. Machines have changed, physics and people haven't.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:41 AM   #253

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Dave,
Is there any property around you available to purchase? You seem like the kind of next door neighbor who is indispensable......
Old 06-24-2016, 10:27 AM   #254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I agree with you Jim Bennett. Shopping around, if it's not an emergency, can certainly save some money and it helps if you have a fair idea of what is involved. I stopped at a shop that does brake work for me. They do not specialize in electrical systems. I had an electrical gremlin going on so I asked the shop owner who did that kind of work and priced their work honestly. He sent me to a shop across town and they fixed me up for $60. Sometimes referrals are good to get also. When I got new tires this spring I took the tires and wheels off at home two at a time and took them to my tire dealer on a rainy day in March. They mounted and balanced the tires and remarked that it was nice not to have to pull them off outside in their lot. When I put them back on the 19, I torqued them myself and did not worry about too tight or to loose. I never thought that growing up in a filling station would come in so handy 55 years later. Machines have changed, physics and people haven't.
Dave
Dave that is exactly what I want to do when I purchase new tires . 2 at a time . Guess I 'm not nuts ? Pat
Old 06-24-2016, 11:09 AM   #255

Pat, I bought four new ones two at a time, Goodyear Marathons 205 14's.
They cost $82 each and with tax, mount and balance and new stems, just over $400. They have over 6,000 miles on them now and look excellent. I run 48 lbs pressure cold.
Dave
Old 06-24-2016, 11:20 AM   #256

Quote:
Pat, I bought four new ones two at a time, Goodyear Marathons 205 14's.
They cost $82 each and with tax, mount and balance and new stems, just over $400. They have over 6,000 miles on them now and look excellent. I run 48 lbs pressure cold.
Dave
Dave the 2 at a time was , take 2 down get them mounted , etc. take the other 2 down after I have installed the first 2 . I would buy the whole 4 . Pat
Old 06-24-2016, 12:49 PM   #257

Great minds think alike. Have a memorable weekend.
Dave
Old 06-24-2016, 02:56 PM   #258

Quote:
Great minds think alike. Have a memorable weekend.
Dave
Thanks Dave . Pat
Old 06-24-2016, 04:32 PM   #259

Trailer: 2015 Escape 15A
Thanks for updates on wheel-bearing repacking - sounds like we'll be shopping around for something reasonable here in Seattle/Washington area this fall.

"If the path be beautiful, let us not ask where it leads." Anatole France
2KC Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:38 PM   #260

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
We took our 19 to a shop that works on most utility trailers such as landscaping trailers, horse trailers, etc. (As opposed to Camping World that looks as all RV's as luxury products, regardless of the model.) cost to repack bearings and check brakes was $70.