Wheel Bearing Maintenance - Page 15 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2017, 09:15 AM   #281

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Dave how many beers are you going to charge me for each wheel when I bring mine down?
Would this offer be cumulative, as in how many before he goes on to the next wheel?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:17 AM   #282

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Would this offer be cumulative, as in how many before he goes on to the next wheel?
Well, he always says he only has 2 beers, his first and his last.... or that he only COUNTS those 2 beers?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:24 AM   #283

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hi Eric
When you come down I'll be happy to do your bearings if you will help me. I'll set the jack, I'll get greasy, I'll clean the tools up. You just have to hand things to me so I don't have to get up and down all the time. And you are not allowed to photograph me laying on the pavement and make a caption comment about seeing a beached whale a thousand miles from the ocean. When done we will tip a couple and you will have to review my hoarding collections while I loose my place regaling you with a fantastic story. Then we will have a campfire with oak wood and cook an egg on a stick.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:34 AM   #284

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Sounds great to me Dave. All those years of greasy oily fingers has left me with a grease "allergy" and my old bones ain't so good at lying on the ground anymore!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-23-2017, 11:43 AM   #285

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post

the pleasure was all mine.

Dave
Yup, there's nothing quite as satisfying as smooshing a bearing into gooey slippery grease.

Which, I figure, is next on the job list for this week. After two Baja's and before we head out across Canada, it seems like a good time. Probably not needed, but what the heck, I like smooshing grease.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
09-01-2016 2-43-48 PM04_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:04 PM   #286

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Thanks Dave, it's due for a repacking this year, might as well change them at the time.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:08 PM   #287

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
We never used gloves when repacking bearings, in fact I'm sure I was exposed to a lot of hazardous material working in a garage. I remember using an air hose and blasting the brake assembly to clean, now where did all that asbestos off the brake shoes dissipate to?? cough, cough..
Old 04-23-2017, 01:44 PM   #288

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hi Jim
I've thought of that myself several times. On the other corner from our station was another station where the old boy did all kinds of work. I remember watching him arc the new shoes to the drums after the drums came off the lathe. Raybestos shoes, won their share of Indianapolis 500 races.
Then there were all the boilers, acoustic ceiling sprays, floor tile, and on and on. No wonder there's a ton of respiratory problems in today's older population.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:54 PM   #289

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
We never used gloves when repacking bearings,
I never used them for bearings until recently. Always did working with f.g. in my younger days. The old timers didn't, their comment to me was "skins cheaper"

Ron
Old 04-23-2017, 01:57 PM   #290

I worked for several years building wood stoves for a small family business. When I started, I used to cement asbestos sealing rope into the doors. Never even knew it was asbestos, until one of the guys working there called OSHA and asked about it. The OSHA guy stopped by and refused to even go into the room we did that work in.....

Old 04-23-2017, 04:01 PM   #291

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
I worked for several years building wood stoves for a small family business. When I started, I used to cement asbestos sealing rope into the doors. Never even knew it was asbestos, until one of the guys working there called OSHA and asked about it. The OSHA guy stopped by and refused to even go into the room we did that work in.....
Also reminds me back then , very similar . We are working in a enclosed room on a commercial site ,and a welder is welding plates in the floor . White powder is all through the air and on everything . The white hats open the door a little then close it fast . Nothing we could do but keep working . This went on for days . The welder told us to drink milk to help absorb what went into our bodies . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:05 AM   #292

Trailer: 2015 E19'
Bearing Adjustment?

I finished repacking the wheel bearings on my 19', and need to find out about the proper adjustment of the spindle nuts when reinstalling the hubs. Per Dexter's on-line documentation "For E-Z Lube axles using the new nut retainer", I torqued the nut to 50 ft-lbs while rotating the drum, backed off the nut while not allowing the drum to turn, finger tightened the nut till "just snug", then snapped on the nut retainer. The documentation then says "If the nut is too tight, remove the retainer and back the nut off approximately one twelfth of a turn and reinstall the retainer." My question is what constitutes "too tight"? Two of the four wheels ended up with just enough end-play to be felt when pushing and pulling the drum in and out along the spindle center-line, but the two others seem to be either too tight (no perceptible end-play) or too loose (maybe 1/32" or more of end-play) and there is no way to position the nut retainer which allows for an in-between position.

What is the appropriate end-play? Should there be just enough end-play to be perceptible, or backed off to the next looser position of the nut retainer if there is no end-play? Poking around on the web, I'm seeing conflicting advice. Some say to leave the bearings with some amount of end-play to make sure there is room to have a layer of grease between the cups and rollers and to allow for heat expansion, and some say that there should be no end-play thereby ensuring that the roller surfaces will be parallel to the cup surface.

Does anyone have a recommended spec for a dial indicator (thousandths of an inch) measurement of end-play? I assume that it’s better for things to be too loose rather than too tight? I contacted Dexter about this, and (maybe not surprisingly) never got a reply from them. I'm reluctant to pester Reace about it since it's a Dexter question not an Escape question, and just thought I'd see what you good forum folks might have to say.

I had to get the trailer out of my driveway before my beloved home owners association got all excited and started fining me for keeping the trailer in my driveway while working on it, so I left 2 hubs with barely feel-able end-play and 2 hubs with no feel-able end-play, adjusted the brakes, and took the trailer back to the storage lot (6 miles at <= 40 mph). I'm planning to tweak the bearing adjustment if/as needed before our next trip, but at this point really don't know what would be appropriate. Any insights would be most appreciated.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:15 AM   #293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Eggstrications View Post
Two of the four wheels ended up with just enough end-play to be felt when pushing and pulling the drum in and out along the spindle center-line, but the two others seem to be either too tight (no perceptible end-play)

so I left 2 hubs with barely feel-able end-play and 2 hubs with no feel-able end-play,
Rock solid is no good. You should "feel" something. If in doubt go one looser than tighter.

On a side note, I just did the front wheel bearings on my Ford Ranger at 60,000 miles. I don't usually do them that soon. I was shocked that the two outer bearings had virtually no grease. Lucky I checked. Don't know if Ford went cheap on grease but I was glad that I checked.

Ron
Old 09-28-2017, 09:43 PM   #294

Trailer: 2006 8.5' Alaskan. 2008 Scamp 16. 2015 Escape 21
The key line in the Dexter instructions may be: "Once in place, the retainer/nut assembly should be free to move slightly." In other words, you ought to be able to wiggle the retainer/nut assembly a little with you fingers and see it move a little when you rock the wheel back and forth.
Ditchrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 02:58 PM   #295

Trailer: 2015 E19'
Just got off the phone with a Dexter Axle service guy. He said he was on the factory line for 30 years and did a whole lot of wheel bearings. He confirmed that what you want is to have the minimum amount of end-play that you can feel, technically .001" - .005". You want to feel some definite end play, but the least amount possible subject to the nut retainer position. Definitely want to be able to "rock" the drum on the spindle slightly. Given the choice, go looser rather than having no end-play.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:54 AM   #296

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Just starting the annual maintenance and saw some marks at the back of spindle. Also, both year old Timken bearings need replacement. My first thought was the inner bearing did this, however that is actually where the double-lipped seal rides. Can barely feel the rear mark with fingernail; not sure if I should polish that area or leave it alone. No leaking and a benefit of doing this annually is the seal came out easily with a seal remover hook tool.

Cant see these things just squrting in grease theough the EZ Lube zerk.
Attached Thumbnails
20180414_130209.jpg   20180414_142814.jpg  
Old 04-15-2018, 10:07 AM   #297

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Wheel Bearing Maintenance

Ross that looks normal to me all the utility trailers I’ve built looked like that after use. One thing do you put a little grease in the valley between the 2 lips on the grease seal.
I think part of the cause is the quality of the steel used making the spindles. The axles I made from spindles cut off old trucks wore better.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:23 AM   #298

Thanks Doug- will be sure to put some grease between the two seals, had only made sure some was on the spindle and that was probably more on the ares where the bearings ride.

I see that Dexter started offering axles in 2014 with replaceable spindles. Anyone know if ETI switched to them? Otherwise a new axle is the only way to fix a bad spindle.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:28 AM   #299

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Thanks Doug- will be sure to put some grease between the two seals, had only made sure some was on the spindle and that was probably more on the ares where the bearings ride.

I see that Dexter started offering axles in 2014 with replaceable spindles. Anyone know if ETI switched to them? Otherwise a new axle is the only way to fix a bad spindle.

Ross I don’t think the spindle is bad, they are machined a little on the course side and the seal lip is just polishing it. I wouldn’t worry about it for the next 20 years or more.
As a side note it’s normal to see a little of the grease that you put between the seal lips weep out the back over time.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:38 AM   #300

No, you're right- this spindle is fine. Still it is odd that both year-old Timkens went bad....not horribly so, however enough to want to replace them. Maybe they are counterfeit; evidently that is a problem out there.