Wheel Bearing Maintenance - Page 23 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2016, 10:32 AM   #221

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
We always cranked the castle nut down pretty tight then backed off a notch or two so the cotter key would go in and before inserting, we would take a thin flat tipped screwdriver and make sure there was a tiny amount of play in the thrust washer. Then put the key in and finish up. You must make sure the castle nut has not hung up on a bad thread and left the thrust washer and consequently the outer bearing loose. Unless I am towing in extreme conditions, I have no problem with 20 to 25 thousand miles on the bearings. Depending on conditions, mountains etc, checking the brake linings and knowing how much you had to start with as a reference and keeping them adjusted is very important too
Dave

Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 02:49 PM   #222

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
We always cranked the castle nut down pretty tight then backed off a notch or two so the cotter key would go in and before inserting, we would take a thin flat tipped screwdriver and make sure there was a tiny amount of play in the thrust washer. Then put the key in and finish up. You must make sure the castle nut has not hung up on a bad thread and left the thrust washer and consequently the outer bearing loose. Unless I am towing in extreme conditions, I have no problem with 20 to 25 thousand miles on the bearings. Depending on conditions, mountains etc, checking the brake linings and knowing how much you had to start with as a reference and keeping them adjusted is very important too
Dave
Dave question for you being I only have about 8000. mi even though it has been 2 1/2 years
Instead of mi am I to be concerned about mi or time if I make sure after jacking up wheels they are not loose and I always check brakes and lugs ? Or because of this time take apart , regrease and check bearings and races ? Pat

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 04:08 PM   #223

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I don't see elapsed time as detrimental to amount or condition of grease in the bearings or on the spindles. Although this spring I did repack the bearings and install new seals and they had not been done since August of 2014, if I had not been changing out the tires and had a burning desire to evaluate the brakes, I would not have been greasing. If we run as much as we plan this year, it will be time for brake shoes next spring. I'm easy on brakes and just had front and back done for the first time on the Highlander this last week. 114,000 miles and still had 40% lining left. Could have made a lot more miles but my shop guy needs to make a living too.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:38 AM   #224

Trailer: 2015 Escape 15A
Hi Jim, Thanks very much. I feel we could at least go a couple of years between wheel bearing service, but it helps to have a supporting opinion. Hope your doing well in your beautiful cold country this winter.
Best regards,
- King

"If the path be beautiful, let us not ask where it leads." Anatole France
2KC Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:54 AM   #225

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I finally got the bearings repacked in our 19' Escape. Just under 9,000 miles & almost 2 years. (Biggest part of mileage was return trip from Chilliwack - 6,800 miles) Cost was only $70 from a local shop that works mostly on non-RV trailers. Mechanic suggested repacking 2X's per year, but I feel that I'll go once per year at the start of the season. He also checked brakes and felt that I had the tension right - so I felt good that my adjustments were correct.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:09 AM   #226

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I don't see elapsed time as detrimental to amount or condition of grease in the bearings or on the spindles. Although this spring I did repack the bearings and install new seals and they had not been done since August of 2014, if I had not been changing out the tires and had a burning desire to evaluate the brakes, I would not have been greasing. If we run as much as we plan this year, it will be time for brake shoes next spring. I'm easy on brakes and just had front and back done for the first time on the Highlander this last week. 114,000 miles and still had 40% lining left. Could have made a lot more miles but my shop guy needs to make a living too.
Dave
I had mine repacked after one year, 10K miles. I'm glad I did, there was one blown seal. I think I will have it done once a year, you never know...
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:40 AM   #227

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
Mechanic suggested repacking 2X's per year, but I feel that I'll go once per year at the start of the season. .
2X per year, whoa, seems really excessive. To me, even every year is more than I do, except for a boat trailer.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:56 AM   #228
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
every other year here....
Old 03-29-2016, 12:49 PM   #229

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
2X per year, whoa, seems really excessive. To me, even every year is more than I do, except for a boat trailer.

Ron
Agree with Ron. There is only one situation under which you can't go 3 years/20,000-25,000 miles between bearing service, that situation being if you are in the habit of parking the trailer in 8 to 10 inches of salt water. I'm do mine every two years, primarily because I want to inspect the bearings and the brakes.
"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:53 PM   #230

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba55 View Post
I had mine repacked after one year, 10K miles. I'm glad I did, there was one blown seal.
Was grease ever pumped into the E-Z Lube fitting? That could explain blowing the seal.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote