Wheel Bearing Maintenance - Page 27 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2016, 06:11 PM   #261

Trailer: 2015 Escape 15A
Wow, how nice and reasonable! Hope to find such good shop here in NW as you found in N.Carolina.

"If the path be beautiful, let us not ask where it leads." Anatole France
2KC Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:24 PM   #262

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Picked up my 19' from camping world today. Everything checked out, except when I was hitching up I could not get my Prodigy RF brake controller to connect. So when I went to inspect I discovered that the unit had been destroyed by what appeared to be forklift damage. I almost lost my cool, but they were able to replace the unit with a brand new one on the spot, no questions asked. It wasn't a great experience but everything is good. The trailer feels much smoother and the calibration of my brakes and controller is soooo much better!

Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:49 PM   #263

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2016 Ram Eco-diesel 4WD Crew
After just finishing a bearing re-pack and seal replacement, I thought I'd give a report for those who need to consider this work. Our 21' has about 29,000 miles and is coming up on two years, and has had no wheel service other than me rotating all five tires a couple of times. The bearings seemed to be in perfect shape, but two seals had leaked somewhat, but not quite onto the shoes. Cleaned all that and replaced all four seals. I wish I had read back through this thread to remember Dave's double socket push method. Using my 18" pry bar, is much too exciting. I can confirm that the old Dexter Fusion-loc part number is 010-019-00. I bought a full set of brake shoes thinking I'd install them at the same time. When the new shoes came in, I noticed their linings were not much thicker than what I have now, so postponed that chore. All wearing evenly, but very little. I had forgotten how much thinner shoes tend to be than pads. I did adjust the brakes for the first time and am looking forward to seeing how that does.
In summary, I would recommend pulling the drums and checking for seal leaks, and more frequent brake adjustments. And for anyone getting your bearings packed by someone else, make sure they do both inner and outer bearings and that you get new seals.
Any thoughts on getting a set of rubber dust covers for the adjustment holes?
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:24 PM   #264
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
What about new tires? How are the originals holding up?
Old 08-17-2016, 08:42 PM   #265

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Bill, good to hear from you. When I did my bearings in the spring I looked at some floor demonstration Dexter setups at Midwest Wheel. I noted the thickness on the new shoes and compared them to what I had left and even with about 45,000 on the trailer, knew I could run the season easy enough. My backing plates came with dust plugs so I haven't had to look. I guess I'd go to a small town, family owned greasy old garage and ask. 9 times out of 10 old guys, older than me, will pull open a drawer that has what I need. When I was a kid, we sold them off a stand up card with holes in it. They were a nickel or a dime but that was 55 years ago. I'll let you know if I run across them. Midwest wheel in Cedar Rapids. Is a real good shop. In Minnesota tonight, Manitoba tomorrow night at Adrian's . On the way to St Malo.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:38 AM   #266

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
What about new tires? How are the originals holding up?
Jim,
Using a five tire rotation, all are at 6 to 7 32nds. I plan to still run them for a while. I may get a little more wear, now that I've adjusted the brakes. 48-50 psi

Dave,
Glad to hear you're on the move. Looking forward to seeing you at the Mississippi River rally. That'll be our next trailering.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:38 AM   #267

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
what is the rotation pattern when rotating tires?

Bill,

My recollection is that when rotating tires on the car, you just move the front to the back on the same side. I think it is good to rotate the spare onto the wheels, but what is the pattern you use? Since the weight is pretty equal on the tires, do the front or rear tires of the trailer get more wear? I thought the reason one rotated tires on a car was because the ones in the front got more wear.

I can tell you on a bicycle folks rotate the tires because the rear one gets more wear -- but that rotation patters is so simple even I can understand it :-)

Thanks for any enlightenment!
Old 08-18-2016, 10:52 AM   #268

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
FWIW, when I asked Reace about rotating, he suggested just front to back. Nothing about the spares came up.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:39 AM   #269

Trailer: 2015 Escape 15A
Wow, quite an undertaking - impressive work! I guess I'll stick with a local RV service place to check out our wheel bearings and brakes. Thanks for advice on what to ask to be covered in such service.

"If the path be beautiful, let us not ask where it leads." Anatole France
2KC Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:22 PM   #270

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
Bill,

My recollection is that when rotating tires on the car, you just move the front to the back on the same side. I think it is good to rotate the spare onto the wheels, but what is the pattern you use? Since the weight is pretty equal on the tires, do the front or rear tires of the trailer get more wear? I thought the reason one rotated tires on a car was because the ones in the front got more wear.

I can tell you on a bicycle folks rotate the tires because the rear one gets more wear -- but that rotation patters is so simple even I can understand it :-)

Thanks for any enlightenment!
Hi Leon,
After the first 20,000 miles I had noticeable wear on one pair of tires, either the front axle or the rear, I can't remember which. I attribute this to the Andersen not being set up correctly in the beginning. I rearranged the Andersen,(including re-locating the bars on the trailer frame rails per factory specs) then put the fresh spare on to the most worn location, gave the most worn tire a rest and did a front to back switch for the driver's side. I have a pretty decent tread depth gauge, so at the following rotation, the most worn tire gets a rest again, and the others go front to rear depending on wear. I'm thinking the front axle wears slightly faster, but not sure. All is well now, and all fairly evenly worn. Torque at 90 lb/ft.