Wheel Bearing Maintenance - Page 28 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2016, 02:40 PM   #271

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
My recollection is that when rotating tires on the car, you just move the front to the back on the same side.
There have been a couple of recent discussions of rotating tire placement. Without rehashing them, but to address one specific point...

The only reason that many cars follow a tire rotation pattern which keeps a given tire on the same side of the vehicle is that they have tires with a directional tread pattern. The "vee" pattern is obvious in the tread, and the sidewall has an arrow marking which indicates the correct direction of rotation. "Trailer tires" (ST tires such as the Carlisles used by Escape) do not have a directional tread pattern, so this doesn't apply.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:56 PM   #272

Trailer: 2006 8.5' Alaskan. 2008 Scamp 16. 2015 Escape 21
I repacked the bearings on my 21 last week for the first time, 18 months and 8700 miles after picking up the trailer at Chilliwack. I did not use the EZ lube feature and the Dexter 010-019-00 grease seals were all in good shape. Three of the eight bearings showed light scoring on the cups and rollers. By light I mean the scoring is clearly visible to the eye but difficult to feel with a fingernail. I haven't figured out what caused the scoring. Maybe some grit found its way into the grease used at the Dexter factory or perhaps there were some metal shavings in the hubs. Or I suppose it is possible that there were defects in the Chinese bearings Dexter uses.

Perhaps light scoring doesn't hurt anything but I played it safe and replaced the scored bearings with new cups and bearings I had on hand. The new ones looked good, but were also made in China. I now have some Timken bearings on order from Amazon and hope to have "made in USA" bearings on hand next time I repack the bearings.

A search for "Brake Backing Plate Plugs" on Amazon will turn up several brands of the rubber plugs for the brake adjustment slots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1765.JPG (290.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1782.JPG (236.7 KB, 23 views)

Ditchrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:22 PM   #273

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Maybe it's just me but I replace the seals each time I pack the bearings. Also important is a tight fit on the metal hub cap. I do one wheel at a time and do not mix the bearings up from the races they have been married to. Everything gets fully degreased so errant sand grit or machine shavings are not a factor. I'm picky on bearings but have not had problems with offshore components.
Dave

Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote