Wheel Bearing Maintenance - Page 31 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2018, 10:57 AM   #301

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA and 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Attachment 30865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Eggstrications View Post
What is the appropriate end-play? Should there be just enough end-play to be perceptible, or backed off to the next looser position of the nut retainer if there is no end-play? Poking around on the web, I'm seeing conflicting advice. Some say to leave the bearings with some amount of end-play to make sure there is room to have a layer of grease between the cups and rollers and to allow for heat expansion, and some say that there should be no end-play thereby ensuring that the roller surfaces will be parallel to the cup surface.

Does anyone have a recommended spec for a dial indicator (thousandths of an inch) measurement of end-play? I assume that itís better for things to be too loose rather than too tight? I contacted Dexter about this, and (maybe not surprisingly) never got a reply from them. I'm reluctant to pester Reace about it since it's a Dexter question not an Escape question, and just thought I'd see what you good forum folks might have to say.
One tool I use and has been discussed within this forum is to have Infrared Thermometer. Typically at ever gas stop, or rest stop bathroom break and right after I stop. I take my Thermometer and take temp reading of each wheel hub. You want the readings to be within a few degrees of each other. If hub has much higher temp reading then the others will cause me to take a closer look at that wheel. This can also be used to determine if one wheel bearing set is too tight as it will give higher temp reading.

I never use the EZ lube feature and have always hand packed my wheel bearings annually. When reinstalling the spindle nut while rotating wheel I tighten as much as I can by hand normally with crescent wrench to seat everything and than back off and tighten to spec.

On another note I'm not a fan of the Dexter nut retainer system and prefer old fashion cotter pin to keep nut in place. I've had the spindle nut come loose with the retainer in place.

I also keep extra full wheel bearing set and seals and grease in my tool kit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bearing Kit.jpg (201.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Bearing Spindle view.jpg (189.1 KB, 38 views)

"Live Life as if everything is rigged in your favor"
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 04:47 PM   #302

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
I see that Dexter started offering axles in 2014 with replaceable spindles. Anyone know if ETI switched to them? Otherwise a new axle is the only way to fix a bad spindle.
Dexter Axle's web site includes a press release for the video for the Torflex removable spindle, but their Light Duty 2,300-4,000 Capacity catalog section doesn't show removable/replaceable spindles at all. Spindles shown with the hub parts groups are noted as not available (because they're welded into the axle beam or Torflex arm). The catalog of replacement parts kits doesn't include spindles. It's not at all clear to me whether this is really available; maybe the catalogs are just horribly out of date.

Anyone with a recent Escape and some mechanical inclination could look to see if the spindle clamp bolt (shown in the video) is visible at the wheel end of the Torflex arm at one end of one of their axles, and let us know.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 05:00 PM   #303

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Dexter Axle's web site includes a press release for the video for the Torflex removable spindle, but their Light Duty 2,300-4,000 Capacity catalog section doesn't show removable/replaceable spindles at all. Spindles shown with the hub parts groups are noted as not available (because they're welded into the axle beam or Torflex arm). The catalog of replacement parts kits doesn't include spindles. It's not at all clear to me whether this is really available; maybe the catalogs are just horribly out of date.

Anyone with a recent Escape and some mechanical inclination could look to see if the spindle clamp bolt (shown in the video) is visible at the wheel end of the Torflex arm at one end of one of their axles, and let us know.

I'll save everyone from crawling underneath.
And if we replaced the axle they do offer it. I found this with a quick search so others should have them too.

https://www.crofttrailer.com/71-743-...s/#page=page-1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180415_175539912_LL.jpg (168.2 KB, 41 views)
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:36 AM   #304

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
I'll save everyone from crawling underneath.
And if we replaced the axle they do offer it. I found this with a quick search so others should have them too.

https://www.crofttrailer.com/71-743-...s/#page=page-1
Thanks

So, not being used by Escape, and not in the Dexter catalog, but the parts (and presumably complete axles to use them) are available from Dexter dealers.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:56 AM   #305

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2004, 2012 F-150 FX4 Coyote V8 ( 2018 Escape 21 in June! )
I've been maintaining our axle ( the same 3500 Dexter ones as the Escape) on our the Casita for about 10 years, with excellent results. Same bearings, same spindles, ...I only replace the grease and seals, although I recently replaced the entire brake unit with never-adjust ones. Bearings burn up due to being too tight. I always leave just the slightest play in the bearings, barely perceptible when you grab the (on jack stands) tire at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock and push/pull. Works for me. Our hubs are always cool to the touch at stops, with no tire wear. The Maxxis tires we just replaced looked new ( they aged out ) .