Wheel Bearing Maintenance - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2015, 02:37 PM   #81

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
More like a no nest syndrome.
Or did you mean the "no nest egg" syndrome?

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 03:40 PM   #82

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Or did you mean the "no nest egg" syndrome?
Man, I do suffer from a lot of syndromes. Maybe I need to seek help
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:30 PM   #83

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: thoer... Up here in Canada the only thing we can battle quackgrass with are ducks. Don't know what to do with all my crabgrass. We're not allowed to posses any chemical weed killers. Alf

escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie

Wow without chemical weed killers our prairie restoration would still be all the quack, smooth brome, Kentucky bluegrass and all the other invasive species it started out as. Is that a national or provincial restriction?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:34 PM   #84

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I think it's municipal. In North Van here you aren't allowed to use it, but you can buy it at Rona, Canadian Tire, Home Depot, Home Hardware.
I bought some, but swear, I do not use it.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:58 AM   #85

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Pesticides

I have used and sold about every turf and tree chemical on the American market. I have been certified as a pesticide applicator for the past 25 years. After I take a nice shower before I go to bed. On a moonlit night, if I lay real still there's a nice green glow in the room. Am I an extraterrestrial or should I be looking to sue somebody?
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:57 PM   #86

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I'm going with the extraterrestrial unless proven otherwise

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-04-2016, 03:54 PM   #87

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
At 19.279 thousand miles my 19 seemed to reach a good time for doing preventative maintenance on the wheels. The first place I took it was in town, a big RV repair garage that always seemed to have a bus-sized motor home outside blocking its 4 bays. The guys at the counter heard me clearly ask for a price on repacking the wheel bearings of my two-axle travel trailer.

Have done wheel bearings replacement on my pre-Escape trailers so know it’s not brain surgery, just messy and tedious. I don’t want to do it anymore. Especially when it’s 22 degrees outside.

Had to take a step back when the RV fella gave me a repacking quote of four hundred bucks. That’s a bit over the top, I gulped, followed by mumbling, um, no way I’m giving you $400 to repack wheel bearings. With that the counter guy said, um, wait a minute, let me check the computer. Then, oh, and he came down to $199 (plus tax) for the job, and rambled on a bit about all the diagnostic checking included with the job they’d do. That price was more reasonable, I thought, but remembering that bus. Should I be thinking these guys saw me as a deep-pockets pigeon?

“When can you do the job?” I asked. I looked out the glass door into the work bay area where no work was going on. "Tomorrow." OK, I said, but first let me go home and check my calendar. I left and drove over to the next town, where a couple years earlier I had a good experience with a different shop. It was a welding shop that does a lot of utility trailer construction. They treated me right. I hadn’t been certain they would do a little wheel bearings job. Bill said yes.

I brought it in at 9 this morning. Bill wears the welding cap, greasy coveralls, and a couple weeks’ stubble. He looked the trailer over, asked me to run the tail lights, pointed to a couple tiny gelcoat dings, and wiggled all four tires. “Hear that?” he said. There was a little play in three tires.” If there’s any burn spots I’d advise replacing bearings.” I pointed to some tire wear. “These are 4 ply tires and they run a little soft. When you’re ready, switch to the 8-ply.”

Bill said the bearings were fine. He greased the wheel bearings, put in new seals, and was done by noon. $139.96 plus tax.
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2016, 03:58 PM   #88

Did Bill have a biplane behind the shop? All he needs is a well worn leather flight cap and he's ready to go.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:19 PM   #89

Trailer: looking
is that $50 for 4 wheels << I would assume...hate to assume though :0
nautracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 05:53 PM   #90

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautracer View Post
is that $50 for 4 wheels << I would assume...hate to assume though :0
Okay, I give up - who said anything about $50, for any number of wheels?

This is the only recent actual cost posted to this thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Bill said the bearings were fine. He greased the wheel bearings, put in new seals, and was done by noon. $139.96 plus tax.
That should be for four hubs (wheels); Myron has an Escape 19'.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:57 AM   #91

post #7 talks about a $50 upgrade. as if it's an option. we are working on the build sheet.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:02 AM   #92

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
What that is referring to is the option for E-Z-lube axles to be installed where you can perform bearing lubrication yourself, must be decided in advance as the stock axles have the standard bearings, which must be manually repacked. E-Z lube is mainly used on boat trailers due to water immersion but are now available on travel trailers. I had them on my 21' but when I bought tires I had my axles repacked, cost me about $200. So. if you are a do-it-yourself-type person you have the option for $50 to relube your axles yourself. This is $50 per axle, so if you get the larger tandem axles it will be $100 upgrade.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:55 AM   #93

thanks Jim. I like the EZ lube axle option. had not seen it listed. have towed around a lot of boats and shattered a couple of bearing sets. I like the idea of those Infra Red thermal guns. they don;t cost too much. just shoot the hubs now and again. my theory is to run them till they blow. I'm really lazy I guess. that grease in them bearings last "forever" or until the bearing fails. so I would never recommend my philosophy to anyone
Old 03-03-2016, 07:58 AM   #94

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The problem with your philosophy is if it fails your axle may also be damaged, $$$ to repair. An oz of prevention to prevent a pound of cure. Never had any bearing issues, probably because I get rid of the trailer after 2 years...., now do not ask me about car brakes....
Old 03-03-2016, 08:22 AM   #95

All this is why I'm hoping for NevRLube axles on the new models. Sealed bearings

Old 03-03-2016, 08:25 AM   #96

yeah, I guess your right. got all the tools and now retired. after a few cross country trips, I'll be hauling out the floor jack and impact wrench. can you believe I bought an electric impact wrench new for $55 at Big Lots. now I really don't have much of an excuse!!! HA
Old 03-03-2016, 08:29 AM   #97

oh man!!!! NevRLube sounds nice... maybe they will run out of the old axles before they get to my scheduled Dec 2016 build.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:33 AM   #98

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
I believe the reason the option isn't listed is because it is standard. Reace demonstrated how it works for us when we toured the factory Sept 2014 as we ordered our Escape 21. He thought it a worthwhile feature. I plan on checking bearings every other year and repacking, but using the EZ Lube alternate years. But then we don't put on a lot of miles like some owners.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:02 AM   #99

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
What that is referring to is the option for E-Z-lube axles to be installed where you can perform bearing lubrication yourself, must be decided in advance as the stock axles have the standard bearings, which must be manually repacked. E-Z lube is mainly used on boat trailers due to water immersion but are now available on travel trailers. I had them on my 21' but when I bought tires I had my axles repacked, cost me about $200. So. if you are a do-it-yourself-type person you have the option for $50 to relube your axles yourself. This is $50 per axle, so if you get the larger tandem axles it will be $100 upgrade.
If one truly understands how E-Z Lube axles work and their drawbacks, it would be easy to see why I (repeat I, meaning my opinion) consider them a waste of money for a poor concept which primarily could be considered a sales gimmick. Grease is pumped through the center of the spindle to the rear of the inner bearing where it theoretically will be forced through the inner bearing, a large cavity in the center of the hub, and then through the outer bearing. If this process doesn't blow out the seal spreading grease all over the drum and brake shoes rendering them unable to function (very likely), it will take half a day to pump enough grease in to fill the cavity inside the hub between the two bearings. The only way to properly (and safely) service wheel bearings is the old fashioned way: remove, clean, inspect, repack, and reassemble. There is a $15 bearing packing tool available at almost any auto parts store that is extremely effective in distributing grease in the internal areas of the bearing. Yes, it is a messy and tedious job to service wheel bearings, but Satan's stomping grounds will be icing over before I would use the so-called E-Z Lube feature.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:16 AM   #100

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Don't mince words here Carl- tell us how you really feel

Wish I hadn't paid for that option. After reading up on it there is no substitute for doing the real job. Probably good for boaters who don't put on a lot of miles.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote