Wheel Bearing Maintenance - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2016, 10:57 AM   #101

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Carl
Couldn't agree more. Just did the bearing service on the 19. Cost me less than $10. Great peace of mind. Genuine Dexter seals from our local wheel and axle dealer $1.94 each. I now know the condition of all eight bearings, brake shoes, magnets, drums, axles, races. Initial reinstall wheel nut torque is perfect, tire pressures are perfect and wheels closely examined.
New tires, stems and balance. And enough lead off the rims to make about a seasons worth of jigs.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 11:21 AM   #102

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Took our 21 into a local RV dealer that we like and trust. $279 for bearing repack, new seals, etc plus had the brakes checked, peace of mind, priceless.
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 11:27 AM   #103

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Ouch!
I only have two wheels, but I paid $67 CDN for the same maintenance. Adjusting the brakes is a five minute job.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:40 AM   #104

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautracer View Post
post #7 talks about a $50 upgrade. as if it's an option. we are working on the build sheet.
Ah... post #7 was a almost two years ago! I only skimmed back a couple of pages looking for the $50 reference.

Yes, as Jim explained the option would have been for E-Z Lube axles, and it would have to be per axle or per trailer, because you can't even buy an axle with E-Z Lube on just one side; it would make no sense to get it on just one axle. I agree that checking assumptions is a good idea.

I don't think it matters anyway; isn't EZ Lube standard now? Yes, Bob confirmed that:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
I believe the reason the option isn't listed is because it is standard. Reace demonstrated how it works for us when we toured the factory Sept 2014 as we ordered our Escape 21. He thought it a worthwhile feature. I plan on checking bearings every other year and repacking, but using the EZ Lube alternate years. But then we don't put on a lot of miles like some owners.

Bob K
This makes some sense to me, since the inspection still gets done on a regular basis, but those annual grease flushes just seem superfluous and wasteful to me. As Jim also mentioned, E-Z Lube was invented to allow boat trailer owners to flush out water contamination, and I think that E-Z Lube is pointless on a travel trailer, but that's just my opinion. Well, maybe not must mine...

I actually don't doubt that E-Z Lube effectively changes out the grease when used as directed by Dexter, but
  • it uses an excessive amount of grease to do it
  • when not properly done (with rotation of the hub) it will not be effective
  • when not properly done it risks leakage past the seal into the brakes
  • other than for a trailer immersed in water, frequent grease changes are pointless; if the bearings are actually losing grease you need to fix that, not just pump more in
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:36 PM   #105

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Agree, Brian, but I would have added two more caveats. First, E-Z Lube does not visually inspect the spindles, races, or bearings for any abnormalities, thereby resulting in the second caveat. E-Z Lube is the half-assed way of doing the job. It is like washing a car with car wash that contains wax rather than applying a good quality wax after washing.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:40 PM   #106

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
It is like washing a car with car wah that contains wax rather than applying a good quality wax after washing.

So I guess no one takes their car to the car wash anymore, that is the way automatic car washes operate?
Old 03-03-2016, 05:02 PM   #107

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
If one truly understands how E-Z Lube axles work and their drawbacks, it would be easy to see why I (repeat I, meaning my opinion) consider them a waste of money for a poor concept which primarily could be considered a sales gimmick. ....
You are right on, Carl. I agree, there is no substitute for doing it correctly (manually). In the long ago when I worked as a mechanic, we always did it that way: inspected the bearings and the seals, and also had to clean quite a few grease-covered brake assemblies, that an over-zealous greaser applied through a zerk fitting.

I still do it by hand, but that's what nitrile gloves are for, these days!
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 05:37 PM   #108

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Agree, Brian, but I would have added two more caveats. First, E-Z Lube does not visually inspect the spindles, races, or bearings for any abnormalities, thereby resulting in the second caveat. E-Z Lube is the half-assed way of doing the job...
I agree. My list in post #104 was just about the problems with E-Z Lube as a system for changing grease; it does nothing for the rest of bearing maintenance (which is basically inspection), which is why Bob and others still do a proper service occasionally.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 05:49 PM   #109

Or, put it this way. E-Z Lube is like using mouth wash instead of brushing your teeth.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:33 PM   #110

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Or, put it this way. E-Z Lube is like using mouth wash instead of brushing your teeth.

Or changing your pants but not your underwear [emoji15]

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:50 PM   #111

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Which begs the question: why did Escape make it a standard feature? Yes, I understand economy of scale and simplicity in having one axle instead of two-yet if it is as dubious as implied here then why increase the cost of their trailers for an option that is a questionable benefit?
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:53 PM   #112

Consumer demand.
Same reason the 19' has tandem axles.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:13 PM   #113

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Consumer demand.
Or maybe "misinformed consumer demand." To the non-mechanically inclined, the E-Z Lube may seem like the best thing since sliced bread. Sort of like a screen door for a submarine. Or magnetic bracelets to treat arthritis.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:18 PM   #114

Quote:
Consumer demand.
That can change though- witness the demise of Andersen WDH as an Escape option. Two years ago it was the greatest thing since sliced bread, but Escape dropped it due to a negative customer experience.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:24 PM   #115

There is a long list of wonder products, like the Fridge Fix and the Andersen, that were touted on this forum, creating consumer demand.
Heck, people drink Coca Cola and use it to remove silicon.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:33 PM   #116

Bundling is the correct answer. Everybody is doing it. If you want AC you get power windows.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:39 PM   #117

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Carl
Couldn't agree more. Just did the bearing service on the 19. Cost me less than $10. Great peace of mind. Genuine Dexter seals from our local wheel and axle dealer $1.94 each. I now know the condition of all eight bearings, brake shoes, magnets, drums, axles, races. Initial reinstall wheel nut torque is perfect, tire pressures are perfect and wheels closely examined.
New tires, stems and balance. And enough lead off the rims to make about a seasons worth of jigs.
Dave
Dave going to do bearing repack here . Can you tell me does the 19 use the same seals as the 21 ? I can't seem to get a answer from Escape . I know it is #10 , 2500 lb . Do you have the little spring in seal ? Would you have a item number or any identification? Rossue has been trying to help but he has the 21 which he gave his identification seal number and we aren't sure if they are the same ,being his 3500 lb I think . Would appreciate any help you can give . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:24 PM   #118

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Carl
Dave
Dave you have a 19 ft trailer as I have . I just tried to order seals from a vender I got from Rousse but they can't without the inner and outer dimensions of the seals . Would you have that information ? Thankyou . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:47 PM   #119

Our Escape is a 2010. The original Dexter seals I changed out in Aug 2014. The seal number I put in as replacements was a 10-04. This was a single rubber edge seal that simply thumps into the rear of the drum to hord the rear bearing in place against the inner race. There is no spring.
The new seals I just put in were from Midwest Wheel in Cedar Rapids Iowa. They were Dexter Fusion-loc and were a dual seal with two edges. The new part number, changed in the last 6 months or so is now a DX 010-019-00 they cost me 1.96 each plus tax.
Dimension shown on my invoice is Seal Oil 1.720 X 2.56 . They will ship I believe as I see a reference to Package tracker on their website. Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you. If you Mike the ones you have and those numbers line up, I could go out and get them for you and mail them to you in a padded envelope.
Dave
Old 03-04-2016, 12:59 PM   #120

I forgot to mention, I have 14 inch wheels with 205 tires but I doubt that matters. If you pull the hub and wheel, you could clean up the seal face with a cleaner and read the mfg and part number without thumping them out