Wheel Bearing Maintenance - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2016, 01:00 PM   #121

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Our Escape is a 2010. The original Dexter seals I changed out in Aug 2014. The seal number I put in as replacements was a 10-04. This was a single rubber edge seal that simply thumps into the rear of the drum to hord the rear bearing in place against the inner race. There is no spring.
The new seals I just put in were from Midwest Wheel in Cedar Rapids Iowa. They were Dexter Fusion-loc and were a dual seal with two edges. The new part number, changed in the last 6 months or so is now a DX 010-019-00 they cost me 1.96 each plus tax.
Dimension shown on my invoice is Seal Oil 1.720 X 2.56 . They will ship I believe as I see a reference to Package tracker on their website. Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you. If you Mike the ones you have and those numbers line up, I could go out and get them for you and mail them to you in a padded envelope.
Dave
Thankyou Dave . I am waiting for a call back from Escape and they are checking for me too . I could be wrong but it may be the seals Rossue is using are the same as his 21 . I will confirm all this . That is a nice gesture on your part to get them for me . But as soon I get all this confirmed I can get them here too . Thankyou again for taking the time . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:04 PM   #122

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I knock mine out with a 1/1/8 impact socket on the bottom and a 1/1/16 socket as a spacer driven by a small brass hammer powered by 68 year old Armstrong guns.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 03:01 PM   #123

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Which begs the question: why did Escape make it a standard feature? Yes, I understand economy of scale and simplicity in having one axle instead of two-yet if it is as dubious as implied here then why increase the cost of their trailers for an option that is a questionable benefit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Consumer demand.
Same reason the 19' has tandem axles.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Or maybe "misinformed consumer demand." To the non-mechanically inclined, the E-Z Lube may seem like the best thing since sliced bread. Sort of like a screen door for a submarine. Or magnetic bracelets to treat arthritis.
Again, I agree.

Fortunately, the E-Z Lube system is completely harmless if you don't use it (and therefore can't misuse it). Although it was a $50 per axle option, it may be less in actual cost, and keeping one axle type in stock is likely worthwhile to keep those who want it happy.

The choice of tandem axles (rather than a single axle) is much more complex, because there is a real benefit (of arguable value) of the tandem configuration, because the cost and production consequences are substantial, and because it is very difficult in the travel trailer market to avoid tandem axles - it is an obvious feature for which many buyers have a strong preference.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 03:06 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Dave going to do bearing repack here . Can you tell me does the 19 use the same seals as the 21 ? I can't seem to get a answer from Escape . I know it is #10 , 2500 lb .
Because all Torflex axles used by Escape are the #10 (including both 19' and 21'), all bearing and seal parts are the same. There have been two seals used with the #10, one for the standard system and a better one for E-Z Lube (due to the risk of blowing grease past the seal into the brakes), but I think they are interchangeable so one can just use the better one.

The difference between the 2500 pound capacity rating of the 19' and the 3000 pound capacity rating of the 21' (and the 3500 pound rating of the 17') is only in the length of the rubber rods inside which act as springs and bushings. That doesn't change the bearings, seals, hubs, or brakes. There are other things which can be changed in a Torflex #10, but all the grease-type bearings are same.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:31 PM   #125

Quote:
Bundling is the correct answer. Everybody is doing it. If you want AC you get power windows.
Ross do you have the ez lube ? Talked to trailer barn today and as soon as I get all my answers can order from them Monday . Is the double lip due to helping keeping the grease in having the ez lube if you use it ? Pat
Old 03-04-2016, 03:44 PM   #126

Quote:
Is the double lip due to helping keeping the grease in having the ez lube if you use it ? Pat
I think so. This eTrailer item refers to "marine applications", which means boat trailers, which are the intended application of E-Z Lube:
The Difference of Single Lip And Double Lip Grease Seals
Quote:
The difference between the single lip and double lip seals is that the double lip grease seal will have two rubber lips that are in contact with the spindle. The double lip grease seals are usually used in marine applications to give a better seal and protect the bearings from the water, which can cause damage to them.
They do seem to be interchangeable (in the same axle series - this particular question was about the next size larger of Dexter axles):
Double Lip Seal Recommendation For 5200 LB Dexter Tandem Axles
Quote:
Part # GS-2125DL seals are double lip seals and have the same dimensions as the single lip seal. The double lipped seals retain the grease inside the hub and help keep water and dirt out better than the single lip seals.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:52 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I think so. This eTrailer item refers to "marine applications", which means boat trailers, which are the intended application of E-Z Lube:
The Difference of Single Lip And Double Lip Grease SealsThey do seem to be interchangeable (in the same axle series - this particular question was about the next size larger of Dexter axles):
Double Lip Seal Recommendation For 5200 LB Dexter Tandem Axles
Brian you are the answer man . Thankyou! Still trying to get answers from Escape . Starting to get somewhere . Wish Escape had some part numbers and recommendations for our trailers . I am a manual type of person . I read instructions and keep the manuals . New products today you have to go online and you can print out manuals . Guess what because I want it in my hand , I do that . OK I am done complaining . Pat
Old 03-04-2016, 04:11 PM   #128

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Ross do you have the ez lube ? Talked to trailer barn today and as soon as I get all my answers can order from them Monday . Is the double lip due to helping keeping the grease in having the ez lube if you use it ? Pat
I do have EZ Lube. Not sure if the double lip is for that option, however Trailer Barn didn't ask if I had it or not.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:13 PM   #129

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
I knock mine out with a 1/1/8 impact socket on the bottom and a 1/1/16 socket as a spacer driven by a small brass hammer powered by 68 year old Armstrong guns.
Dave
That is a great tip. That is the hardest part of the job. The seal pullers can just rip them up.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:14 PM   #130

Quote:
I do have EZ Lube.
That would make sense for the double lip . Now I just need to make sure I can upgrade to double lip . I don't have ez lube . I can order Monday then . Thanks Ross . Pat
Old 03-04-2016, 04:18 PM   #131

Quote:
Dave
Dave another question . I have those size sockets . Then forget getting the seal puller ? Pat
Old 03-04-2016, 04:18 PM   #132

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I hope Reace is reading this thread as it could make my job of trying to convince him to start using the NevRLube axles easier

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:45 PM   #133

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Well, the furnace has a 'lifetime lubricated' bearing. Never lube because you can't.
Works for its lifetime; not yours. Mine was replaced under warranty.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:56 PM   #134

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Sockets

Quote:
Dave another question . I have those size sockets . Then forget getting the seal puller ? Pat
The sockets I have are deep well, impact style. The 1/1/8 is big enough that it fully covers the bearing rim so the bearing does not get hurt as long as you have it centered. The next smaller socket lines up nicely with the first one so a few taps with the hammer and the seal and rear bearing drop out on the piece of cardboard you put down first to keep grease off the floor.
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:58 PM   #135

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
But when was the last time you had a sealed bearing go bad on a car or truck? For me it has been never. Sure there are failures but a lot less often than these types we have on our trailers

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-04-2016, 05:07 PM   #136

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
But when was the last time you had a sealed bearing go bad on a car or truck? For me it has been never. Sure there are failures but a lot less often than these types we have on our trailers
I think I'd counter with: when's the last time you didn't drive your car or truck for six months straight out of a year? I don't know if it matters, but maybe?
Old 03-04-2016, 05:44 PM   #137

Quote:
Still trying to get answers from Escape . Starting to get somewhere . Wish Escape had some part numbers and recommendations for our trailers . I am a manual type of person . I read instructions and keep the manuals . New products today you have to go online and you can print out manuals . Guess what because I want it in my hand , I do that . OK I am done complaining . Pat
I have one trailer that came with a paper copy of the Dexter Axle service manual, which presumably came with the axle. Lots of paper comes with the components that go into an RV; not all of it makes it to the RV buyer, and there are probably fewer manuals included with components than there used to me.

You can definitely download anything you need (product catalogs, application guides, service information, parts diagrams and lists) from Dexter Axle... but if you want it on paper you'll have to do some printing.

Quote:
I have those size sockets .
Just keep in mind that different types and brands of sockets for the same nut/bolt head size can have different outside diameters, so just use whatever fits best.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:50 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
A good point. I changed the bearings zero times and repacked them maybe twice in the 353,000 kilometres (220,000 miles) that I drove my Toyota Tercel with this style of bearings in the rear - they were only disassembled at brake shoe changes (there would have been about two of those).

I did have a bearing failure in the front of a Chev pickup, but I learned over the years that there were lots of junk parts in that thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I think I'd counter with: when's the last time you didn't drive your car or truck for six months straight out of a year? I don't know if it matters, but maybe?
For a while my Tercel (see above) was parked for weeks to months at a time, as I took the bus to work. Specialty cars - such as convertibles driven only in the summer - often see this sort of service. It does matter to the bearings, but I think the fix is just to jack up the trailer (one side at a time) and spin the wheels occasionally.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:56 PM   #139

Wheel Bearing Maintenance

A buddy bought my '90 Corolla wagon and it made it to almost 300k miles before the frame rusted out. I'm pretty sure he never had to replace a rear wheel bearing on it or knowing him he would have complained to me about it.

The rotation of wheels during storage sounds wise

Old 03-04-2016, 06:10 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I have one trailer that came with a paper copy of the Dexter Axle service manual, which presumably came with the axle. Lots of paper comes with the components that go into an RV; not all of it makes it to the RV buyer, and there are probably fewer manuals included with components than there used to me.

You can definitely download anything you need (product catalogs, application guides, service information, parts diagrams and lists) from Dexter Axle... but if you want it on paper you'll have to do some printing.

Just keep in mind that different types and brands of sockets for the same nut/bolt head size can have different outside diameters, so just use whatever fits best.
Thanks for the link Brian . Will see what I can print out . Pat