Where do you Carry your Generators? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2011, 07:45 PM   #1

Where do you Carry your Generators?

Hello All,

For those of you that carry a generator, where do you haul/store it? Is there enough room in the outside storage front hitch box or in one of the outside storage areas on the Escape trailer itself?

I'm not sure If I'll even need a generator once I start camping, I just thought it should be something I should know. If I do buy a generator, it will most likely be the popular, small Honda one.

Best Regards,
TurtleBax
TurtleBax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Re: Where do you Carry your Generators?

I have the Honda 1000.

I have used it twice at camp ( and that was when I was having issues with the charging system in the trailer ). I've started it three times at home to 'exercise' it.

I suggest you camp and find that you really need to top up your batteries, prior to buying a generator.

It all depends on the camping you do. I like buying stuff so I got it, but, I usually end up leaving it at home to save the weight.

I travel with it inside the trailer and move it to the RAV at camp.

baglo

Old 09-05-2011, 08:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

We have the Honda 2000i and like Baglo rarely use it. His suggestion of camping first and seeing if you need one is an excellent one.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:16 PM   #4

I have a Honda 2000I but seldom use it. Our trailer has solar power.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:33 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 5.0 (sold)

We bought a Honda 2000 for last year's trip to Alaska. We carried it inside the SUV in a Rubbermaid tub. That was effective, never any gas smell. We dry-camped most days so it saw a lot of use. We had been told not to depend on solar because of the weather there (excellent advice).

If you are going to use a generator solely to charge the battery, the Honda 1000 would be a good choice. We had many cold rainy days in Alaska and the 2000 ran our space heater while it charged the battery. Very handy. I have used the 2000 to operate our home refrigerator during power outages too. I don't know if the 1000 would do that.

Marv
Old 09-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #6

Hello All,

Thanks for your advice on the generators.

Marv I found your view on it helpful, as Alaska is one of our scheduled destinations. I'm glad you didn't find it to smelly to carry in the SUV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMarvin
We bought a Honda 2000 for last year's trip to Alaska. We carried it inside the SUV in a Rubbermaid tub. That was effective, never any gas smell. We dry-camped most days so it saw a lot of use. We had been told not to depend on solar because of the weather there (excellent advice).

If you are going to use a generator solely to charge the battery, the Honda 1000 would be a good choice. We had many cold rainy days in Alaska and the 2000 ran our space heater while it charged the battery. Very handy. I have used the 2000 to operate our home refrigerator during power outages too. I don't know if the 1000 would do that.

Marv
Best Regards,
TurtleBax
Old 09-07-2011, 10:34 PM   #7

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19

I discovered that the Honda EU2000 pits perfectly in a Rubbermaid Action Packer 90.8L (24 US Gal). The handle even fits up into the grooves in the lid so it doesn't rattle around. It takes a bit more space than the generator alone, but it does hide it from prying eyes and keeps any dirt that is on the generator off of the carpet in the back of the vehicle. The empty Action Packer also makes a great cover for the generator when it is outside but not being used.
Attached Thumbnails
Rubbermaid Action Packer.jpg  
Old 09-08-2011, 07:39 PM   #8

Harold,

Nice Tip.

Best Regards,
TurtleBax
Old 09-08-2011, 09:29 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 5.0 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMarvin
We carried it inside the SUV in a Rubbermaid tub.
I should add that we did not carry gas inside. The gas can rode on the rear bumper of the Casita, held down with a bungie. The one-gallon can fit perfectly between the spare tire and the tail light.