Where to put the batteries? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2013, 08:03 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Where to put the batteries?

Reading the thread Some questions about outfitting my 19' caused me to revisit where we will put the batteries and I found out that Reece no longer puts them inside the trailer. So I thought I'd start a new thread to figure out the options for battery placement. There is of course, the storage box. If we don't opt for the storage box then the battery can go on the hitch in its own box. But I've also read that people mention they put them on the back of the trailer. I didn't realize that was a possibility. Any thoughts?
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I would defer to Reace and Escape.
They know what they are doing.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have had the batteries on a box on the tongue on other trailers, and I can say that I MUCH prefer having them inside. The box, and the strap around it started to look weathered and worn pretty quickly. If I was buying now, and still did not want the storage box, I would want to be having a serious chat with Reace, perhaps over a beverage or two.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I agree wholeheartedly with gbaglo...these guys have been at it for years and have things figured out. That being said, the battery for my tent trailer was in an exterior battery box and after eight years of being outside, I didn't notice any wear or tear.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #5

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
I prefer having mine outside and I have 4 of them. The front box is a great place for them and then the rest of the box space is for this items you don't want inside like wheels chocks, hoses, hitch-related items, grease, electric cords, valves, gloves and hoses for the drainage stuff, etc.

The spaces under the seats near the dinette inside are for my blender, toaster, 5 gallon bucket for trash, bag for empty bottles, bag for dirty clothes, cast iron flat skillet, awning lights and extension cord, etc.

I prefer to keep the batteries outside, especially if they are wet cell type like mine.
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
items you don't want inside like wheels chocks, hoses, hitch-related items, grease, electric cords, valves, gloves and hoses for the drainage stuff, etc.
...and rags, rags, and more rags.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:07 AM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
But I've also read that people mention they put them on the back of the trailer. I didn't realize that was a possibility. Any thoughts?
They're on the back of the Escape 17; that location is not likely suitable for an Escape 19. The consequences to weight distribution of moving between the tongue and under a front dinette seat should not be huge, but moving dual batteries between one of those spots and all the way back at the rear bumper would make a big difference.

I don't have precise measurements, but it appears that the axle placement relative to the trailer body is different between these two models: in the 17 the axle is relatively rearward, leading to higher tongue weight - perhaps too high unless the battery is on the back.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:27 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Can anyone tell me where the batteries are on the Escape 21? I am hoping they aren't in the storage box because I use all the room in that box for stuff -- chairs, hoses, electrical cords, leveling blocks, etc. etc. and I am hoping they aren't under the bed because I have to remove them every winter here in the frigid north. I like having them on the back bumper of our 17B, even if I do have to remove the spare tire to take out the batteries. but I am guessing that would mess up the weight distribution on a 21...
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:42 PM   #9

Trailer: No more Escape 21
Under the passenger side dinette seat.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:43 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I have the dual 6V batteries under the front dinette and like Jim B, would not want to have them outside in the front strage box. Leaves much more space in the front box for other good stuff.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
Under the passenger side dinette seat.
Thanks Rick. They shouldn't be too hard to get out of there.

Leon
Old 03-03-2014, 07:47 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The amount of space in your unit is fixed, whether you put something inside the dinette or outside in the box, either way you are using up your storage space. Just be careful when you make any changes to the factory set up that you do not create unequal weight distribution inside the trailer as this can effect your towing experience.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:45 AM   #13

Jim,

Hadn't planned on making a change to wear Reace puts them -- more a question of curiosity. I will soon have to put the batteries back in our trailer, and I was just wondering what that is going to be like with a 21. I agree that Escape thinks hard about weight distribution and one shouldn't make changes without a lot of thought.