WInterizing solar/batteries - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
WInterizing solar/batteries

I ran across these winterizing instructions for cold climates on the Go Power website.
How to Winterize your Solar System | GPElectric
It states to cover the solar panel and store batteries inside. We need to store our Escape away from home so I was planning on just leaving the batteries in and letting the solar panel keep them charged. I will go to the storage site occasionally to keep heavy snow off the roof. Is this ok or should I follow their advice?

Thanks,
John
Old 11-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I think the definitive web site on RV solar power is from a verbose writer that goes by the name HandyBobSolar. There is lots of opinion and some rambling with a bit of self of self-aggrandizing. Makes for an interesting read.

Here is the link
HandyBob's Blog « Making off grid RV electrical systems work.

I think you will find that Bob will tell you that your plan to keep the solar running and clearing off the snow is a good one.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I've mentioned it before, but I store my trailer under an Escape provided cover, and as long as I keep the snow off the cover I get enough trickle from the solar panel through the cover to keep the batteries up as long as I have the disconnect switch in the off position. Only about .1 to .3 amps, but that seems to be enough. I've stored it that way the last two winters with no problems. This year I'm traveling, so no storage at all...
Old 11-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #4

Trailer: 21' Escape
You mention an Escape provided cover. Does Escape sell a cover?
floorpanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by floorpanel View Post
You mention an Escape provided cover. Does Escape sell a cover?
They used to but not anymore.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
John,

I just went to the storage facility and got my batteries out of the trailer and lugged them downstairs where they can stay warm all winter long. I had plans to keep the snow off the trailer all last winter, but the trailer still ended up with 9" - 12" inches of snow on it every now and then. On the other hand, I am sure it is much warmer down south where you are ;-) so maybe you won't get any snow this year....
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #7

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19
John: when I read the link you provided from GPElectrric they mentioned to "Label your solar panel wires positive & negative; unhook your solar from your Go Power! solar Controller"
I took my batteries out - but didn't unhook the controller. The escape is inside with low light if any- but I'm wondering about disconnecting the controller- or putting the batteries back in? Any thoughts?

Jim
Leisure Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:28 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Perhaps the concern here is that the solar is still charging and the controller is "live" so perhaps there could be shorting issues.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:52 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Perhaps the concern here is that the solar is still charging and the controller is "live" so perhaps there could be shorting issues.
The only "shorting" that could occur would be if the battery terminals were in contact with each other. The solar controller regulates the output from the solar panels.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:11 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA (sold) '13 Tundra DC 4.6 tow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I've mentioned it before, but I store my trailer under an Escape provided cover, and as long as I keep the snow off the cover I get enough trickle from the solar panel through the cover to keep the batteries up as long as I have the disconnect switch in the off position. Only about .1 to .3 amps, but that seems to be enough. I've stored it that way the last two winters with no problems. This year I'm traveling, so no storage at all...
Replying to an old thread -
I just checked on our trailer stored under the ADCO tyvek cover and the batteries are at 100% and charging at 14.2 v 0.1 - 0.2 amps at mid day today (isolation switch off). I’ll just need to clean snow off if we ever get any this year. 60 degrees in December both days this weekend 🌞
Chuck
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:42 PM   #11

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19
If anyone is planning on storing the trailer in an enclosed area where the solar panel is covered, Reace recommends the following:

"If you can leave the trailer plugged in, that would be the easiest method. Having said that, plug the trailer in to shore power for a day or so to ensure the batteries are fully charged. Turn the battery isolator switch to 'OFF' and disconnect the shore power. Two or three times over the winter, plug the trailer in and turn the battery isolator switch on for a day to top the batteries back up then switch the isolator back off. The batteries will not freeze as long as they are fully charged."
JimHol58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:58 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
I am NOT pulling my batteries next winter. Jeez they're heavy. I just lugged them up the stairs from my apt storage so I could charge them before putting them back in the trailer later this month. Next year I'll top them off and let them ride out the winter. If they freeze then I'll get two AGM's.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:33 AM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Google "Trojan battery myths" for even more good information. Don't often reach 92 degrees below zero F in the PNW.

The only way that a battery can freeze is if it is left in a state of partial or complete discharge. As the state of charge in a battery decreases, the electrolyte becomes more like water and the freezing temperature increases. The freezing temperature of the electrolyte in a fully charged battery is -92º F (-69º C). At a 40% state of charge, electrolyte will freeze if the temperature reaches approximately 16º F (-9º C).
Old 02-09-2018, 07:52 AM   #14

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
In the pre cut off sw days I'd fill, fully charge, and disconnect the batteries. The batteries were still kicking at 8 years old. Once every couple months I'd hook up the trickle charger, it'd show done in minutes.