WINTERIZING: updated Oct. 29, 2013 - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2014, 07:01 PM   #61

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The specs on the Black and Decker Air Station say maximum pressure is 160 psi.
So, when is that attained? From the moment you turn it on, or after a few minutes in a closed system?
No matter, I'm off to buy RV antifreeze tomorrow.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:28 PM   #62

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
The specs on the Black and Decker Air Station say maximum pressure is 160 psi.
So, when is that attained? From the moment you turn it on, or after a few minutes in a closed system?
After an amount of time depending on the volume of the closed system into which it is pumping. It could be a lot more than a few minutes with a large volume, but a trailer is likely much less volume that a tire, so maybe a few minutes is a reasonable guess.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:41 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I usually use a regulated air compressor set at 40 PSI to blow out my water lines, however I have used a 12V tire pump. The one I used has a gauge, but no regulator. If you attach it to the fresh water inlet, you have to watch the gauge to be sure you don't go over 50 PSI.
I wonder if a common RV water pressure regulator (I have an adjustable one with a gauge) would work with air?
Old 10-20-2014, 09:25 AM   #64

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Winterizing Your Water System

WATER SYSTEM WINTERIZATION

When storing your recreational vehicle through periods of freezing weather, in an unheated environment, it will be necessary to winterize the water system. Damage to water system components will result if the proper winterization steps are not taken.
NOTE: Before using the compressed air method, you will need a special adapter known as a blowout plug. This plug allows compressed air to be delivered through the city water fill. This small, inexpensive adapter is available at most RV supply stores.

WINTERIZING WITH COMPRESSED AIR

Purchase 2 gallons of RV non-toxic antifreeze.
1.) Drain the fresh water tank and empty the waste water holding tanks.
2.) Turn the 2 water heater bypass valves to the ‘bypass’ position. (The valves are located near the water heater incoming lines at the rear of the water heater.)
3.) Drain the water heater by removing the anode (1-1/16” Socket Wrench) and opening taps. Flush out sediment build-up in water heater if necessary. Reinstall hot water tank plug with new Teflon tape.
4.) Open all faucets, including shower head sprayer, (if applicable), toilet flushing device and any other water lines that are closed.
5.) Turn on the water pump for at least 30 seconds to clear any water from the lines.
7.) Connect an air hose with an adapter (blow out plug) to the city water fill connection.
8.) Set the pressure to no greater than 30# (pounds) and blow out the water lines until no water can be seen coming out of the fixtures and lines.
9.) Pour antifreeze down sink and shower drains to fill p-traps.
NOTE: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO START THE WATER HEATER OR USE THE PLUMBING SYSTEM AFTER THE SYSTEM HAS BEEN WINTERIZED. DEWINTERIZE, FLUSH AND SANITIZE THE WATER SYSTEM PRIOR TO USE.

WINTERIZING WITH ANTIFREEZE ONLY

WARNING: NEVER USE AUTOMOTIVE ANITFREEZE IN YOUR FRESH WATER SYSTEM. AUTOMOTIVE ANITFREEZE IS TOXIC AND NOT FOR USE IN POTABLE (DRINKABLE) WATER SYSTEMS.
Purchase 4-6 gallons of RV approved, non-toxic antifreeze.
2.) Turn water heater bypass valves to ‘bypass’ position.
3.) Drain the water heater by removing the anode (1-1/16” Socket Wrench) and opening taps. Flush out sediment build-up in water heater if necessary. Reinstall hot water tank plug with new Teflon tape.
4.) Fill the tank above minimum water pump operation level with the RV antifreeze. (Use of a long funnel may be helpful.)
5.) Turn the pump switch ‘ON’ and open the cold water side of all faucet fixtures. Leave the faucets open until the antifreeze, (generally pink in color), flows out of the faucets and shower heads. Repeat for the hot water side.
6.) Flush toilet until antifreeze is visible inside the bowl and pour one gallon of antifreeze down the toilet to winterize the black holding tank.
7.) Pour antifreeze down sink and shower drains to fill p-traps.

DEWINTERIZING YOUR RV

NOTE: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TURN ON THE WATER HEATER OR USE THE PLUMBING SYSTEM ONCE THE SYSTEM HAS BEEN WINTERIZED. DEWINTERIZE THE WATER SYSTEM, FLUSH AND SANITIZE PRIOR TO USE.
1.) Drain all holding tanks, (fresh water and sewage).
2.) Attach garden hose to fresh water fill and fill tank.
3.) Turn ‘ON’ pump switch and open cold water side of all faucet/shower fixtures. Leave open until the water runs clear, (no pink residue). Repeat for the hot water side.
4.) Flush toilet until clear water runs into bowl.
5.) Dump tanks again.
6.) Sanitize the water system.
7.) If a water filter has been installed, drain the lines, remove the assembly, clean and reinstall using a new filter.
8.) When ready to use the water heater, turn by-pass valve to open position to allow water to enter and fill the hot water heater tank.
Anyone else "get a bath" when removing the anode? What did I do wrong? When I followed the instructions for the compressed air method, I got to "Drain the water heater by removing the anode (1-1/16” Socket Wrench) and opening taps." I just about got knocked onto my butt with the stream of water coming out of the plug. Luckily, the water wasn't hot, but what did I do wrong? As always, thanks for everyone's help when us "newbies" ask these questions!
Old 10-20-2014, 10:30 AM   #65

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Kevin - did you open the taps first or pull the anode first? If anode first there could still be pressure in the lines that pushed the water out. I had that happen once when I pulled the anode before draining out all the lines. Also, pushing that little pressure release valve under the filter screen on the city water inlet helps.

But all that said, the water still comes our pretty quickly when you first pull the anode.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:53 AM   #66

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I use this method...

2.) Turn the water heater bypass valve to the ‘bypass’ position. (This valve is located near the water heater incoming lines at the rear of the water heater.)
3.) Drain the water heater.
4.) Open all faucets, including shower head sprayer, (if applicable), toilet flushing device and any other water lines that are closed.
5.) Turn on the water pump for at least 30 seconds to clear any water from the lines.
7.) Connect an air hose with an adapter (blow out plug) to the city water fill connection.
8.) Set the pressure to no greater than 30# (pounds) and blow out the water lines until no water can be seen coming out of the fixtures and lines.
Attached Thumbnails
winteriz2.jpg   compressr.jpg  
Old 10-20-2014, 11:46 AM   #67

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I use this method...

2.) Turn the water heater bypass valve to the ‘bypass’ position. (This valve is located near the water heater incoming lines at the rear of the water heater.)
3.) Drain the water heater.
Thanks. If you notice, #3 is to drain water heater and #4 is open all faucets. I'll try reversing next time. I wish someone had a video running when this happened. I was covered from head to toe with water and flat on my back! (not sure if from thewater pressure or from the shock of it!) It was really funny, but could have been bad if the water was hot. I will be camping for New Years at Hunting Island State Park (SC) and will have to "re-winterize" before returning to the mountains. I want to do it right! Thanks.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:51 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
Anyone else "get a bath" when removing the anode? What did I do wrong? When I followed the instructions for the compressed air method, I got to "Drain the water heater by removing the anode (1-1/16” Socket Wrench) and opening taps." I just about got knocked onto my butt with the stream of water coming out of the plug.
I notice that the instructions for using compressed air do not say to turn the water pump off as the first step - perhaps this is assumed.

If you turned the bypass valves as directed, there would be no pressure from the water pump or the air compresser to push water out the of heater... but there would still probably be trapped air under pressure in the top of the heater. I agree with Eric's suggestions, to
  • open the relief valve before removing the anode, or
  • relieve the pressure in the hot water system by opening any hot faucet after the pump is turned off and before closing the bypass valves.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:56 AM   #69

I've not had your experience in six years. The water does come out with some force - enough to project two feet from the trailer. You do have to move aside or get wet.
If you open the pressure relief valve it will come out with more force - so I don't do that.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:03 PM   #70

BTW. This is the pressure relief valve open ( with city water connected ). Purpose of doing that is to ensure the water heater is full and it expels air at the top of the tank.
First picture is open, second is closed.
Attached Thumbnails
anode relief valve open.jpg   anode relief valve.jpg  
Old 10-20-2014, 12:10 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I notice that the instructions for using compressed air do not say to turn the water pump off as the first step - perhaps this is assumed.
It's sure assumed by me. I only turn the pump on when I need water while camping ( and I turn it off after using the faucet ). I certainly wouldn't have the pump turned on while driving or with the trailer sitting in the driveway, waiting for the next trip.

Anyway, the anode is at the bottom of the water heater. If you open the taps or the relief valve, the water will drain more quickly because air is allowed in the top. Remember as a kid filling a glass with water and placing a piece of cardboard on top, then inverting the glass and the water doesn't come out because no air is getting in?
Old 10-20-2014, 02:09 PM   #72

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Just to be different, I use the HW bypass, drain the HW tank, use the winterizing connection and run antifreeze in via the pump, after getting the pink at all the spigots and the toilet I blow it out. Takes about a gallon, it all ends up in the traps and beyond. Had the shower fixture freeze and crack one year when I left the antifreeze in. From what I've heard, in cold weather the antifreeze will turn to slush, must have been enough to crack the plastic shower control.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:30 PM   #73

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Bob, why bother with the antifreeze if you are blowing out the lines?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:38 PM   #74

Quote:
It's sure assumed by me. I only turn the pump on when I need water while camping ( and I turn it off after using the faucet ). I certainly wouldn't have the pump turned on while driving or with the trailer sitting in the driveway, waiting for the next trip.?
Agreed. Just establishing a common understanding and avoiding the possibility of someone trying to relieve water heater tank pressure with the pump running.

I don't see any need to turn the pump off after each faucet use (and thus back on every time I want to use a faucet)... just at the end of each day and before towing... but that doesn't matter to winterizing.

Quote:
Anyway, the anode is at the bottom of the water heater. If you open the taps or the relief valve, the water will drain more quickly because air is allowed in the top.
Yes, but opening a tap won't help if the water heater is bypassed, leaving only the relief valve to let in air.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:41 PM   #75

Anyway, I think the OP was trying to reduce the flow pressure and I don't know how you would do that since it's just gravity at work. I guess I pull the anode partially, get out of the way and then remove it fully.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:42 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Bob, why bother with the antifreeze if you are blowing out the lines?
In the method which Bob described, he's ensuring that any remaining liquid in the supply system is antifreeze; blowing out doesn't clear the pump or any of the piping between pump and city water inlet - running the pump empty is supposed to do that. Bob's method also doesn't use much more antifreeze than just blowing the lines out (unlike leaving the freshwater plumbing full of antifreeze), because most of the antifreeze which is used was needed for the drains anyway.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:44 PM   #77

Quote:
Anyway, I think the OP was trying to reduce the flow pressure and I don't know how you would do that since it's just gravity at work.
If it were just gravity (hydrostatic head pressure), it wouldn't be so dramatic. I think it was pressurized air trapped in the heater tank... thus the ideas for relieving pressure.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:02 PM   #78

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Jim
Used to use antifreeze before I heard of blowing them out, however I like the idea of not leaving antifreeze in the system for the winter. As Brian mentioned, it's just an extra level of caution ensuring there is no water left anywhere. Cheap insurance, but probably overkill.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:32 PM   #79

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Jim
Used to use antifreeze before I heard of blowing them out, however I like the idea of not leaving antifreeze in the system for the winter. As Brian mentioned, it's just an extra level of caution ensuring there is no water left anywhere. Cheap insurance, but probably overkill.
Thought that was it. One must be sure of the results, or it might be a sleepless winter.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:55 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Thought that was it. One must be sure of the results, or it might be a sleepless winter.
Which is why I went back to anti-freeze. When you see pink coming out of the tap you know you're good to go. Never was sure that the absence of spitting water meant there wasn't any somewhere in the lines.