WINTERIZING: updated Oct. 29, 2013 - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-22-2014, 08:30 PM   #101

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
It is safe for the purpose for which it is intended - protecting RV water systems from freezing, without toxicity. Some people claim they can taste it even after draining and flushing the plumbing, which you need to do before using the water for drinking. It is safe.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:37 PM   #102

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Since they can put it in food, I don't think I'm going to worry about it in my lines after my spring water lines cleaning,
1 - flush lines with water, 2- sanitize with bleach solution, 3 - flush with water until no bleach smell or taste is left.

I've never even tasted a hint of left over antifreeze, but then I eat a lot of hot spicy food

IMO you are at a lot more danger if you don't do a good job sanitizing your water system, than from the PPM (parts per million) of antifreeze left in properly flushed lines.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:11 PM   #103

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gharper View Post
... small amounts have been shown to cause severe illness: "Propylene glycol toxicity: a severe iatrogenic illness in ICU patients receiving IV benzodiazepines. Wilson KC, Reardon C, Theodore AC, Farber H, Chest. 2005;128(3):1674".
The readily available abstract does not give amounts, but this was about using propylene glycol as a solvent for drugs given intravenously for three months. That seems likely to me to be far more hazardous than drinking a trace in water. I'm not concerned, but that's an individual judgement.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:12 AM   #104

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Like Thoer, part of my trailer opening in the spring is sanitizing the water system with bleach, certainly can't taste antifreeze when the process is complete.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:05 PM   #105

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Bob I do about the same thing, except I just burp the pump a couple times at the end to empty it and then use the low point drain and all the taps open to drain our most of the remaining antifreeze rather than blowing it out again. Your way may be my next.

Finding a new full bottle of antifreeze frozen into thick slush last year made me wary of leaving it in. And now with so much of it being ethanol, I try to drain it out of they grey and black lines so that the ethanol isn't sitting against the valves all winter.
So should one leave all the faucets and drains open after draining, blowing out and then running antifreeze through them? Wouldn't this prevent an airtight circuit and allow some expansion in the lines, at least for the sinks and shower. I know it doesn't address the valve corrosion.

BTW, our antifreeze bottle states "This product is formulated to provide complete protection to -50 degrees F. Some slush may appear at approximately 0 degrees F, but this is not harmful to your water system. As temperature ruses and fluid warms, slush will disappear."
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 03:38 PM   #106

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
So should one leave all the faucets and drains open after draining, blowing out and then running antifreeze through them? Wouldn't this prevent an airtight circuit and allow some expansion in the lines, at least for the sinks and shower. I know it doesn't address the valve corrosion.

BTW, our antifreeze bottle states "This product is formulated to provide complete protection to -50 degrees F. Some slush may appear at approximately 0 degrees F, but this is not harmful to your water system. As temperature ruses and fluid warms, slush will disappear."
That makes sense to me. After draining as completely as possible, I closed the black and grey valves, put some of this valve lube down the toilet and shower drain, then let some sit on the toilet valve. :Camco Drain Valve Lube

My grey valve had been getting progressively harder to open and close, so it will be interesting to see if this stuff does anything or if it's just another of those "miracle" products.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-29-2014, 03:40 PM   #107

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I close my faucets, no real reason, but I don't see why you couldn't leave them open if you prefer.

As far as freezing of antifreeze, all I can tell you is that one year, before I started blowing out the antifreeze, I found the shower valve assembly cracked one spring after sitting for the winter with antifreeze in it. And yes, the faucets were closed.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:46 PM   #108
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
My grey valve had been getting progressively harder to open and close, so it will be interesting to see if this stuff does anything or if it's just another of those "miracle" products.
This is one of those "maintenance issues," and it's not hard to fix. There are four screws holding the gate to the body (valve). Remove those, clean the gate, lubricate (even vasoline works) and reassemble. Takes about 15-20 minutes and it will work like new. Just be careful not to pinch the seal (looks like an "O" ring). Even that's replaceable if needed.

The gate just gets sticky and gunky from stuff flowing down from the kitchen/bathroom sinks and shower.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:53 PM   #109

Thanks Donna - sounds good. If it's still sticky in the spring, I will do that. I'd probably use some silicone or dry lube as I've always heard that vasoline (petroleum jelly) is on bad for rubber.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:09 PM   #110

Trailer: 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
This is one of those "maintenance issues," and it's not hard to fix. There are four screws holding the gate to the body (valve). Remove those, clean the gate, lubricate (even vasoline works) and reassemble. Takes about 15-20 minutes and it will work like new. Just be careful not to pinch the seal (looks like an "O" ring). Even that's replaceable if needed.

The gate just gets sticky and gunky from stuff flowing down from the kitchen/bathroom sinks and shower.
Is this "O" ring the rubber that people comment will be damaged by putting antifreeze containing ethanol into the holding tanks? So, if damage ensues, it's easy enough to replace the rubber seal? (couldn't find any antifreeze without ethanol today).
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:37 PM   #111
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie beers View Post
Is this "O" ring the rubber that people comment will be damaged by putting antifreeze containing ethanol into the holding tanks? So, if damage ensues, it's easy enough to replace the rubber seal? (couldn't find any antifreeze without ethanol today).
Walmart and many other stores sell the Prestone RV waterline antifreeze, which is propylene glycol based - not ethanol.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:58 PM   #112

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Walmart and many other stores sell the Prestone RV waterline antifreeze, which is propylene glycol based - not ethanol.
I would be cautious about that...
In Canada, the "Prestone"-branded plumbing antifreeze products are made by Rechochem, and are available in both propylene glycol and ethanol versions, so you need to pick the right one. Walmart.ca lists the Rechochem/Prestone which they carry as Plumbing Antifreeze; this looks like the glycol-based version, but I suggest reading the label.
The product listed on the Prestone website as specifically "waterline" antifreeze is presumably the one Robert mentioned, and I understand that it doesn't contain alcohol, but I don't think Jamie is going to find it by that name in Vancouver. It is listed by Walmart.com as Prestone RV/Marine Antifreeze.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:30 PM   #113

My local walmart carries 2 versions, both with ethanol.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:31 PM   #114

Winterized today. Realized that the ETI instructions don't mention dumping antifreeze in the black tank.

It seems like most people do put antifreeze into the black tank? I suppose for precaution?
Old 11-11-2014, 07:38 PM   #115
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
It seems like most people do put antifreeze into the black tank? I suppose for precaution?
Yes, to protect the valve from freezing/cracking if there's any water there. Simple to do.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:12 PM   #116

Quote:
Winterized today. Realized that the ETI instructions don't mention dumping antifreeze in the black tank.

This is from ETI instructions on their web-site:

1. Flush toilet until antifreeze is visible inside the bowl and pour one gallon of antifreeze down the toilet to winterize the black holding tank.
  2. Pour antifreeze down sink and shower drains to fill p-traps.
I note that the section on using compressed air does omit step 1 (above) and I've sent a note to ETI.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:19 PM   #117

Gotcha, should've mentioned I used compressed air method, following instructions on the first page of this thread.

(The passage you quoted is repeated on the first page of this thread, as part of instructions for winterizing with antifreeze.)
Old 11-11-2014, 08:22 PM   #118

I've sent a note to Tammy.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:51 PM   #119

Quote:

Talked to Tammy today and ETI says as long as the black tank is empty, it is not necessary to add anti-freeze to it.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:56 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Talked to Tammy today and ETI says as long as the black tank is empty, it is not necessary to add anti-freeze to it.
I usually leave both the black and grey valves open over winter . (Except this year I've got o ring lube stuff soaking on them.)