2017 Builds - Conversation and Information - Page 15 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Visual Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2016, 04:35 PM   #141

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
For me, reading this thread is sure tough, so many differing opinions. I know I was always of the understanding that Dry Weight and Delivered Weight were too different things. Dry weight being the base model without options, and delivered weight had your options factored in.

This really is moot though, as if you weigh your own trailer dry, you can easily calculate the payload from that. This actual number is the one you need to use. Plus, do a weigh in when you have it loaded to the max, just to see where you are.

I will be adding a few hundred pounds of doors, cabinetry, electronics, table, sink and taps, front bike receiver, hood fan, etc, that I will be adding after I pick it up. I will be doing everything with weight of components in mind though. Fortunately, what we carry in the trailer is not real heavy compared to most.

Some folks are leaving the fridge out, solar off, have plans to change batteries, and add a bunch of their own other options. Any of these things completely change the dry or delivered weight.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:33 PM   #142

Trailer: 2017 21 5/23/17 "Blue II" (previously 17B "Blue") 2016 Highlander XLE (previously 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
For me, reading this thread is sure tough, so many differing opinions. I know I was always of the understanding that Dry Weight and Delivered Weight were too different things. Dry weight being the base model without options, and delivered weight had your options factored in.
jim, that is what my understanding is too. The dry weight they list on the website, is the base model with no options and delivered or shipping weight is the trailer exactly as equipped. But I also heard that they do no actually weigh each trailer precisely, that the shipping weight is based on average known weights of the various options added onto the base. But that was 2010 info, maybe now Escape has their own scale?

Old 07-09-2016, 06:03 PM   #143

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I don't know if they have their own scale but they are sending you the weight of your Escape with options about a month before it is built.

Obviously on the specs, that is the dry weight, no options. A lot of people look at those specs and think they can add 300-400 lbs. of their cargo and that will be their loaded weight. They have no idea that it will likely be three times that added, when options are included.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:03 PM   #144

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
The dry weight they list on the website, is the base model with no options and delivered or shipping weight is the trailer exactly as equipped.
Well, yes, the weight listed on the website will be the base weight - meaning without options - and of course it will be empty. It's also explicitly dry (nothing in the tanks). Add optional equipment but leave the tanks empty, and it's still a dry weight.

It's not necessary to own a scale to have actual as-built weights. There's a commercial D.A.I. truck scale about 100 metres (further by road) from Escape's front door, at the Esso station on Industrial Way.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:09 PM   #145

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Do you mean that the truck is old? Well, we bought a tow vehicle for the 19' in 2011 and with less than five years on it, I just had the 90K service. Changed the transmission fluid and coolant and a few other things. Even our "new" TV is old now.
No Cathy not being embaressed with the truck . Going by the information on Escape website I was afraid it was too much .I'd be pulling this 19 down the road with this big truck . Since then see many get big trucks . It just is what I had . She doesn't look too bad . Get compliments all the time . She is a 1992 F250 . Less then 130,000 miles and I had Trans rebuilt . Had a leaking seal and decided go ahead and get the whole Trans done . Last summer when I went to see kids in Washington all the way up and coming home lots of these still on the road . Been told good years for Ford . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:21 PM   #146

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I assume that Pat meant that the truck would seem embarrassingly oversized for the purpose of towing an Escape. It's bigger than it needs to be, but I don't think it's unreasonable, and I think that's what Pat has realized.
That 's it Brian . Ok with truck now . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:48 PM   #147

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
She is a 1992 F250 . Less then 130,000 miles...
Thank goodness, someone on this forum has a truck older than mine: 1993 F150 with 90,000 miles...

Thanks for 'fessing up, Pat!
Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:17 PM   #148

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Karen- that's about 4K/year, which means you need to get out more
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:22 PM   #149

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Karen- that's about 4K/year, which means you need to get out more
Ah, but I have a car, too.
Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:37 PM   #150

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
No Cathy not being embaressed with the truck . Going by the information on Escape website I was afraid it was too much .I'd be pulling this 19 down the road with this big truck . Since then see many get big trucks . It just is what I had . She doesn't look too bad . Get compliments all the time . She is a 1992 F250 . Less then 130,000 miles and I had Trans rebuilt . Had a leaking seal and decided go ahead and get the whole Trans done . Last summer when I went to see kids in Washington all the way up and coming home lots of these still on the road . Been told good years for Ford . Pat
I thought that is what you meant; I just wanted to mention my "old" truck! which you confirmed: 1992 with only 130k and I am already at 90 with a 2011. We have been around quite a lot with the Escapes but most miles are non-towing.

And, yes, that is downright embarrassing!. Many people had big pick-ups for something else, maybe another (large) trailer before they bought fiberglass, so no problem towing any egg.

float5 is offline   Reply With Quote