2017 Builds - Conversation and Information - Page 9 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Visual Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2016, 01:10 AM   #81

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
If the 5000 lb GVRW is a correct figure then i have a problem. The current model is rated at 4000 lbs and my tow vehicle is rated at 5000. I can tow it. But if it's 5000, that's too heavy ( don't want to tow at the limit of what i can tow).
2950 lbs dry weight is fine for a vehicle with a tow rating of 5000 lbs. Figure 1000 lbs. of water and gear, and you're still at 4000 lbs.; well within your 5000 lb. rating ...

Old 07-08-2016, 12:57 PM   #82

Trailer: perhaps 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
If the 5000 lb GVRW is a correct figure then i have a problem. The current model is rated at 4000 lbs and my tow vehicle is rated at 5000. I can tow it. But if it's 5000, that's too heavy ( don't want to tow at the limit of what i can tow).
could be a problem for more than one buyer who signed up for a new 2017 trailer....Escape probably should offer you a refund of your deposit should you choose to cancel since the change may impact your TUG. They offered a refund to the people who bought the 21 after Escape revealed the floor changed in the dinette area impacting those that bought thinking it had a flat floor and needing it to be flat.....all downsides of ordering a new product (in this case a trailer) before the manufacturer has actually built the product they are selling.....

freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 01:14 PM   #83

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We did have the weight discussion back a ways and pretty much everyone knew they were going to be heavier. It will be interesting to see the weight increase on the 21 and 5.0TA which will probably increase more than the 19 increase. Did we ever get the weights on the new 17's yet?.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 01:46 PM   #84

Trailer: #2 - 2017 19'
All this about 300 lbs is making me think about selling mine and buying a 2017. The value of mine seems to be going up.

Buy a used classic.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:18 PM   #85

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
All this about 300 lbs is making me think about selling mine and buying a 2017. The value of mine seems to be going up.

Buy a used classic.
The glass half full... Always positive this guy
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 02:44 PM   #86

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
the dinette area impacting those that bought thinking it had a flat floor and needing it to be flat...
This one has me stumped. Why would one need to have a flat floor given that the rise is much less than getting into the trailer via the outside steps (which is actually two steps up)?

I think most of the issues with the new model were known before the buying schedule for 2017 opened in March. Those with trailers already ordered for 2016 would have the "classic" mold as their choice, I believe.
Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:06 PM   #87

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I think most of the issues with the new model were known before the buying schedule for 2017 opened in March.
Yes, but this is the one specific design feature which was not known. The weight increase might have been guessed, but was also not known... and still is not known with any certainty.

Quote:
Those with trailers already ordered for 2016 would have the "classic" mold as their choice, I believe.
As discussed several times, this would have been their expectation and may be their preference, but it is not necessary what they want and won't necessarily be what they get.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:20 PM   #88

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Yes, but this is the one specific design feature which was not known. The weight increase might have been guessed, but was also not known... and still is not known with any certainty.

As discussed several times, this would have been their expectation and may be their preference, but it is not necessary what they want and won't necessarily be what they get.
First part: Yes, but I was asking why such a short rise was objectionable because a flat floor was needed and still don't understand that part. If one can take the two steps to get into the trailer, why is a three- or four-inch rise now an impediment. I have one in my trailer and don't even notice or think about it. And I've certainly never tripped over it but that's not the point here. It's the need I question.

Second part: Those who ordered 2016 models knew what they were getting when ordering and do not have to change a thing.

And now I will quit.
Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:47 PM   #89

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
First part: Yes, but I was asking why such a short rise was objectionable because a flat floor was needed and still don't understand that part.
Neither do I - it's not my requirement, and I think Karen has a reasonable question... although I also don't doubt that for some people there is a need for a flat floor. In my previous post, I didn't comment on the question of need.

Quote:
Second part: Those who ordered 2016 models knew what they were getting when ordering and do not have to change a thing.
I guess I've lost track in all of the discussion, but I didn't think that Escape was going to continue the first-generation / "classic" / 2016 moulds to the end of the year. Apparently they are (or were intending to as of the 2017 order announcements:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy and Escape Office View Post
As we are giving customers the opportunity to choose between the 2016 and 2017 models we will be manufacturing two different trailers from June through to December 2016.
... so if that's still the plan, I agree that those with orders placed last year for production in 2016 can get what they ordered.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 04:22 PM   #90

Trailer: perhaps 2017
Quote:
First part: Yes, but I was asking why such a short rise was objectionable because a flat floor was needed and still don't understand that part. If one can take the two steps to get into the trailer, why is a three- or four-inch rise now an impediment. I have one in my trailer and don't even notice or think about it. And I've certainly never tripped over it but that's not the point here. It's the need I question.
not an issue for this camper but it was for some as mentioned in other threads, hence Escape offered a refund of their deposit...
This camper actually likes the rise in the new Escape 21 in the rear dinette area, which may make it easier to see out the windows while seated without paying extra to have them raised like in the Escape 19. If they offered the new 21 with an alternate floor plan similar to the current 19 with respect to the bathroom location and a full/queen bed at front but sideways , then might consider it for purchase and know others that might have a renewed interest in a 21.

The new weights not a problem for this camper's tug but it might be for some light weight Tugs that may now be considered marginal for the owner. Would like to know though if Escape installed a new mfg axle rating to >2500 lb or <3000 lb each for the new 5000 lb GVWR rating of the trailer, especially when it was revealed here that the previous GVWR rating of 4000 lbs had on some trailers a mfg axle rating of 2500 lb each allowing a 1000 lb safety margin.

freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote