2017 Builds - Conversation and Information - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Visual Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2016, 11:00 AM   #101

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Barry, I don't see an increase of around 300 lbs as a show stopper. My guess is that the towing experience with your planned tow would be almost indistinguishable between the 2016 model and the 2017. Yes, they raised the GVWR by 1000 lbs, but the actual weight increase is nowhere near that. Loaded, you'll probably come in under 4000 lbs. This is an educated guess based on the typical loads as well as ours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for you insight Tapatalk but at 3800 lbs dry (estimate from ETI based on our build sheet). Plus our estimated 500 + lbs of stuff we would already be at over 80% of our tow rating. We do hope that removing some things from our build sheet will lower this weight but it is unlikely to be enough. Note 3800 lbs is nearly 1200 lbs over the previously stated dry weight, I am not sure that much of a difference could have been anticipated. I will update after we edit our build sheet.
Bear101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:07 AM   #102

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I can not fathom a 3800# Escape 19 from the factory....please let us know what you are thinking of adding?
Old 07-09-2016, 11:09 AM   #103
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
2017 Builds - Conversation and Information

Hmm. I don't see how it comes in at 3800 lbs dry. We have just about every option you can think of except for the microwave, and we come in at 3050 lbs. Assuming the weight increase of 340 lbs is accurate, we'd be at around 3390 dry with a 2017. In any case, you're still under the max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2016, 11:17 AM   #104

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I can not fathom a 3800# Escape 19 from the factory....please let us know what you are thinking of adding?
Jim my wife corrected me the number from ETI was 3740lbs, so you are correct it is not 3800 : )
We did not ask for a break down of the weights but we will remove the microwave, the u shaped dinette, possibly the weight distribution hitch and one of the three reinforced walls but we will keep the air conditioner, larger fridge, power tongue jack, and max fan upgrade.

Barry
Bear101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:31 AM   #105

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have to wonder if Escape erred with that weight, it seems extremely high for a dry weight.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:40 AM   #106

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear101 View Post
Jim my wife corrected me the number from ETI was 3740lbs, so you are correct it is not 3800 : )
We did not ask for a break down of the weights but we will remove the microwave, the u shaped dinette, possibly the weight distribution hitch and one of the three reinforced walls but we will keep the air conditioner, larger fridge, power tongue jack, and max fan upgrade.

Barry
This weight is certainly far beyond anything that we could have had on our 19' so I am wondering about this.

The weight of 3740 lbs. is more than we have on our 21' with A/C, insulation, 6.7 refrigerator, one reinforced wall, U dinette, two 6-volts, Maxx fan upgrade, storage box, microwave, insulation, spray foam. Our weight with options on our 19' before adding our own items was around 3000.

Even with 340? added for the new generation, I don't see how you get to this either. But if it is correct, see other remarks in post #100.

Edit: They took orders in April for new units but have yet to post new weights. Dry weight, however, does not include your options. You are given a number with your options which is not the same as dry weight for a 19'.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:42 AM   #107

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have to wonder if Escape erred with that weight, it seems extremely high for a dry weight.
My tag indicates 3665 lbs dry with dual glazing, ac, twin 6 volts, storage box, spray foam, extra insul, and a few electronics goodies that don't add up to a whole bunch.
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:52 AM   #108

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by davescape View Post
My tag indicates 3665 lbs dry with dual glazing, ac, twin 6 volts, storage box, spray foam, extra insul, and a few electronics goodies that don't add up to a whole bunch.
Assuming Escape doesn't actually weight these trailers prior to applying a label and if convenient for Dave should he choose to do so.... perhaps a trip to a vehicle scale with Dave's tagged new 2017 Escape 19 , known build sheet and DRY ...could clear up all the various posts confusion or if some error has been made somewhere.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:56 AM   #109

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
What error? There is only 75# difference between DaveEscape's dryweight tag supplied with his new trailer and what ETI has evidently told Bear101 what his will be with current options list. That could easily be accounted for with a reinforced wall here, a u-shape dinette there, etc.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:00 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear101 View Post

Barry
having not submitted a build sheet yet, would you possibly care to post the highlights of your build sheet as it sounds very similar to my possible option sheet with regard to the bulky items except for the weight distribution hitch....thanks
Old 07-09-2016, 12:05 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
What error? There is only 75# difference between DaveEscape's dryweight tag supplied with his new trailer and what ETI has evidently told Bear101 what his will be with current options list. That could easily be accounted for with a reinforced wall here, a u-shape dinette there, etc.
Dry weight to me is without options. Of course this is with options, but this seems high for a 19'. It may well be correct and it could be that we simply did not have a correct dry weight previously. That would explain how some of us cannot see how this is possible.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:22 PM   #112

Quote:
not saying there is an error but possibly some confusion....based on posts it seems the validity of the new Escape build dry weight estimate and tagged weight are possibly to high
as a newbie question...is each trailer weighed after production so the numbers on the tag are accuurate?
Old 07-09-2016, 12:29 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
not saying there is an error but possibly some confusion....based on posts it seems the validity of the new Escape build dry weight estimate and tagged weight are possibly to high
as a newbie question...is each trailer weighed after production so the numbers on the tag are accuurate?
They are sending you paperwork in advance of the build being done so they are using numbers for options that they have already for items you have put on your build sheet.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:30 PM   #114

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Hi Jeff(freespirit)- I knew you meant discrepancy and it is not hard to see why some are confused(then disappointed) when looking at ETI's website and see the 19 listed at 2600 lbs. dry weight. To get to 3740# with a few options probably wouldn't occur to many and points out the need for an updating to their website pointing out the new dry weight for the Gen2 model.

Yes, they do weigh the trailers when completed.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:56 PM   #115

Quote:
Yes, they do weigh the trailers when completed.
thank you.

also from Escape website and edited for info on 19 as this is being discussed.
"Do I need a truck to pull an Escape?
No. On average, most Escape customers carry about 800lbs – 1,000lbs of cargo with them when they travel and add about 200lbs – 300lbs of options to their Escape Travel Trailer.
Therefore, the
19′ Escape, with a dry weight of 2,500lbs will travel fully loaded at about 3,800lbs."
------------
and post of an actual new 2017 gen 2 Escape 19 tag
"tag indicates 3665 lbs dry " (and assuming without cargo weight)!
------------
edited....so maybe one can see some confusion for those that purchased either their tug or the Escape trailer based on a load of 3,800 lbs (or even 4000 lbs) FULLY LOADED and then find out a new trailer is actually 3600+ lbs WITHOUT cargo and NOT fully loaded...
not a problem for this camper's tug but it may be for some based on the info they had available.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:58 PM   #116

We have to explain this to people on Fiberglassrv who look at dry weight and do not realize that options may be 500-600 lbs. or more. and then you add your items. Other trailers do not have this kind of options list and many options that we get may be standard on theirs.

I generally say to add 1000 lbs. to the dry weight to have a good idea of what your loaded weight will be. Now, however, the options have increased and the weight of many is considerable, so that someone who really loads up with options may be at 1200 over dry weight.

I think that is mostly the problem here. Someone had looked at dry weight and now has to add the options, and their items. Dry weight has no options.
Old 07-09-2016, 02:02 PM   #117

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
2017 Builds - Conversation and Information

The number that is easy to overlook (and sometimes hard to find) is the GCVW gross combined vehicle weight, or the grand total of vehicle and trailer both fully loaded. For example our 2016 Highlander has a GCVW of 9828#. The curb weight of the Highlander is 4464#, leaving 5364# capacity for trailer, us, everything loaded into the Highlander and trailer, and all cargo, fresh water and waste tanks. So, while the Highlander is rated at 5000# towing, if you towed a trailer at that weight, the occupants plus anything in the Highlander could not be more than 364#. That would leave this overweight guy plus Mary with about a change of clothes.

That said, I would not be afraid nor consider it unsafe to tow up to the max ratings but I would never tow over them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:17 PM   #118

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
We have to explain this to people on Fiberglassrv who look at dry weight and do not realize that options may be 500-600 lbs. or more. and then you add your items. Other trailers do not have this kind of options list and many options that we get may be standard on theirs.

I generally say to add 1000 lbs. to the dry weight to have a good idea of what your loaded weight will be. Now, however, the options have increased and the weight of many is considerable, so that someone who really loads up with options may be at 1200 over dry weight.

I think that is mostly the problem here. Someone had looked at dry weight and now has to add the options, and their items. Dry weight has no options.
Took a look at our 2013 19 ft trailer . We have AC, front box, dual batteries , microwave , foam , extra insulation and Windows , oven . Sticker says GVWR 1818 kg =4008 lb . 1145 kg shipping weight =2525 lb . 336kg CC =740 lb . Waste tanks 204 kg =450 lb . Water heater 27 kg =60 lb . Fresh water at 90kg = 199 lb . Our axles are 2500lb each .At this time not worried with Ford which can tow 8600 lb . We have a class 3 hitch at 5000lb. I am guessing the figures on tanks are filled ? My difference in weight carrying capacity is my options is subtracting from GVWR ? I want to learn too even though I think I have plenty of wiggle room . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:22 PM   #119
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Pat, GVWR is the maximum weight of the trailer with all cargo. Your 19 can weigh (with trailer plus all contents) up to 4008 lbs. The shipping weight is the same as dry weight - 2525lbs. The dry weight is your starting point. So, 2525 lbs plus all options will give you your actual dry weight. The difference between your actual dry weight and your GVWR is your cargo capacity. Yes, the weight of the water in your tanks is part of the cargo. Your axle rating has nothing to do with calculating these numbers, although it is one part of the equation the factory uses to determine GVWR. It just means each axle can support up to 2500 lbs.
Old 07-09-2016, 02:25 PM   #120

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Doesn't the shipping weight posted on the trailer include the specific options on that trailer?

I asked Tammy how to determine the exact weight of our 17B and she said to use the sheet of paper glued in the cabinet. To take the GVWR and subtract the CC (cargo carrying capacity) and that is the dry weight of our trailer with all options.

So for ours 1590kg - 441kg = 1149 kg or about 2533# which seems to agree with weighing we have done
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0372.jpg  

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote