2017 Builds - Conversation and Information - Page 11 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Visual Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2016, 08:29 AM   #201

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear101 View Post
Hello again, to follow up with information we received from ETI. The 19 ft trailer build sheet includes:
6 cu ft fridge, external fridge fan, exterior shower, dual 6 volt batteries, surge protector, removable power cord, pre wire for solar, air conditioner, Maxx fan upgrade 7500, extra insulation and frameless thermal windows, opening window bathroom (frameless thermal), opening window kitchen (frameless thermal), aluminum rims, power tongue jack, spray foam insulation under trailer, raised dinette and front storage box plus a few electrical additions and now just two walls reinforced.

The weight estimated by ETI is 3715 lbs BUT this is "filled with water" as was recently clarified. So assuming that means the 28 gallon fresh water tank is full as well as the 6 gallon water heater that would mean approximately 284 lbs of water making the dry weight with options 3431lbs.

We would likely travel with the freshwater tank full plus about 600 lbs of clothes, equipment and food so a loaded weight for us would be 4265 to 4315 lbs depending on whether we fill the water heater and based on the numbers we have from ETI. That is technically towable by a highlander with a 5000 lb tow rating
bear101, Good clarification from ETI. It looks like the options and weights of the New 19 are now comparable with the weights and options of the classic 21.

Cheers

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:53 AM   #202

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
HHmmmm,
If the new 2017 Escape 19 is getting close to the classic Escape 21 weights, I wonder if the axles should not be increased to 3000#? Why not get a heavier axle for an extra safety margin?
Would they ride stiffer if they have more capacity?
Old 07-17-2016, 09:09 AM   #203

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Wetzk:The storage box is not level, to keep water off and to follow the trailer shape.
Dave, is that a Ram Quad cab? Do you have air bags in the back?
Our storage box is indented on the top which catches water and leaves a stained area. Have they changed the shape of the lid? That would be nice.
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:15 AM   #204

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
bear101, Good clarification from ETI. It looks like the options and weights of the New 19 are now comparable with the weights and options of the classic 21.

Cheers
Now that has me worried. I have a 21 on order with my TV tow weight of 5200 Lbs and tongue weight of 520 Lbs. Will the increase take me to close for comfort . Have to see .
Old 07-17-2016, 09:33 AM   #205

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
Our storage box is indented on the top which catches water and leaves a stained area. Have they changed the shape of the lid? That would be nice.
I believe that "indent" gives strength and rigidity to the top.
Old 07-17-2016, 11:51 AM   #206

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Our storage box is 7 seasons old. There are no stains on it or its top.
We use a good wax designed for fiberglass and keep things wiped off and clean. It was
among the first ones built, is used extensively, and remains as sturdy, functional and
attractive as new. Wouldn't be without it!
Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:56 PM   #207

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
HHmmmm,
If the new 2017 Escape 19 is getting close to the classic Escape 21 weights, I wonder if the axles should not be increased to 3000#? Why not get a heavier axle for an extra safety margin?
wondering same thing...sent email to Escape asking this about a week ago, no answer yet.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 01:02 PM   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven M View Post
Now that has me worried. I have a 21 on order with my TV tow weight of 5200 Lbs and tongue weight of 520 Lbs. Will the increase take me to close for comfort . Have to see .
Escape advised via email last week that their 2017 Escape 21 demo would be completed very soon and the official dry weight would be posted.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:12 PM   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by davescape View Post
Here's a pic of first trip out. I wasn't able to get any scale time so I've no idea what the loaded weight was.
thanks for the side view..helps visualize a similar tv+trailer rig in future
a couple of questions...

Ram Quad Cab with short bed (not long 6'4" bed)?

did you get high lift option on trailer?

is your stinger with ball straight or does it have any rise or drop to it?

factory spring suspension, no air bags or other rear suspension assist?

do you have factory standard/foldable side view mirrors (not special extendable towing mirrors option) and are they ok with Escape trailer?

from the looks of it the tailgate cannot be lowered completely without unhitching..correct?

thanks
Old 07-17-2016, 01:13 PM   #210
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven M View Post
Steven, I assume you're talking about your Chevy Traverse with the max towing package and larger engine, as reflected in the chart below.

My take is that it's going to be near the limits with either the 2016 or 2017 model of the 21. It's not always just a question of capacities, but mass as well. My personal preference is a more substantial tow vehicle with a longer wheelbase for the 21. But having said that, if you come in under the numbers for GVWR, GCWR, cargo capacity, tongue weight and towing capacity, you 'can' tow the 21 with it. The numbers either work or they don't.
Attached Thumbnails
2014 Traverse Towing.JPG  
Old 07-17-2016, 01:26 PM   #211

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
That side view reminds me of a sketch on etrailer of the need for a WDH. You can see the tilt from the back of the truck plus that of the trailer both pointing towards the tongue.
At a glance, yes, but looking at the spaces above the tires on the trailer (and the truck), it doesn't look out of level to me. The likely problem:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
Is the storage box learning towards the front or is that just the picture making it look like it does ?
The photo was apparently taken with a wide-angle lens having some pincushion distortion. The lean of the box is real, but there is apparent lean forward of the entire trailer and rearward of the entire truck due to distortion.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 01:35 PM   #212

Quote:
We covered that earlier. The 2500 pound axles left a significant margin between the maximum axle loading (something less than the 4000 pound GVWR) and the total axle rating (5000 pounds). There is no longer a substantial margin (although some load is on the tongue to there's still some margin), but that may be a design decision.

Quote:
Yes, a higher rating within the same model of Torflex suspension (axle) means more rubber stiffness and this harsher ride.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:38 PM   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
Escape advised via email last week that their 2017 Escape 21 demo would be completed very soon and the official dry weight would be posted.
I hope so, but we're zero for two models on publishing updated weights so far.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:40 PM   #214

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I have 3,000 pound axles on my 19'. I can't compare it to 2,500 pound axles on a 19', but it throws things around much less than did our 17' Casita. In particular the table doesn't seem to move on its slide.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 01:47 PM   #215

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
I have 3,000 pound axles on my 19'. I can't compare it to 2,500 pound axles on a 19', but it throws things around much less than did our 17' Casita. In particular the table doesn't seem to move on its slide.
With the comparison to the single axle Casita it is for the most part due to having dual axles on the 19. You will get less bounce as they share the load on bumps and dips better.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 01:55 PM   #216

Quote:
in another thread people posted less than 2500 lb axles, 2500 lb axles and now 3000 lb axles...
perhaps the week yours was made they did not have any 2500 lb axles so maybe they used a 3000 lb axle that perhaps is normally used on the 21 ft trailer?
wondering if anybody else has an Escape 19 with 3000 lb mfg tagged axles?
Old 07-17-2016, 01:56 PM   #217

Quote:
I have 3,000 pound axles on my 19'.
Did Escape use 2500 initially, then 3000 in 2014, then 2500 again... or is the published spec wrong and recent 19's have been getting 3000 pound axles... or was this a special order?
Old 07-17-2016, 02:16 PM   #218

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
Quote:
Dave, is that a Ram Quad cab? Do you have air bags in the back?
Quad cab, air bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
Lid still has an indent.

Quote:
thanks for the side view..helps visualize a similar tv+trailer rig in future
a couple of questions...
Ram Quad Cab with short bed (not long 6'4" bed)?
did you get high lift option on trailer?
is your stinger with ball straight or does it have any rise or drop to it?
factory spring suspension, no air bags or other rear suspension assist?
do you have factory standard/foldable side view mirrors (not special extendable towing mirrors option) and are they ok with Escape trailer?
from the looks of it the tailgate cannot be lowered completely without unhitching..correct?
thanks
-6'4" bed quad cab
-no high lift option
-stinger has a 2" drop on a factory hitch
-no air bags or suspension extras
-plain jane factory mirrors work just fine. Dodge does have an option for flip out mirrors which I had on a previous 2011 truck which I never needed for the previous escape 19 and don't fit down most city streets anyway.
-Tailgate can not be lowered without unhitching. After much consternation over storage options I built a plywood box that fits at the rear end of the truck bed. It hold my Honda 2000, a propane fire ring and a Weber Q and I can still fit my kayaks over top. You drop the locking tailgate to access. Works like a charm and no one knows its there. Anyway I was able to get the Weber out without unhitching for a quick lunch on the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
At a glance, yes, but looking at the spaces above the tires on the trailer (and the truck), it doesn't look out of level to me. The likely problem:
The photo was apparently taken with a wide-angle lens having some pincushion distortion. The lean of the box is real, but there is apparent lean forward of the entire trailer and rearward of the entire truck due to distortion.
-Thanks for clearing that up Brian. I was shooting on wide and while reviewing the photo did notice the angles. Didn't think about the lens.
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 02:31 PM   #219

Quote:
in another thread people posted less than 2500 lb axles, 2500 lb axles and now 3000 lb axles...
perhaps the week yours was made they did not have any 2500 lb axles so maybe they used a 3000 lb axle that perhaps is normally used on the 21 ft trailer?
I don't think so: the 19' and 21' are about 4 inches (10 cm) different in body width, so the axle width should be different by a similar amount, and the axles would not interchange.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:32 PM   #220

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Everything riding in the truck behind the rear axle gets added to the tongue weight.