2018 Escape 21 manual awning - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Visual Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2018, 03:36 PM   #21

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilly View Post
I have a couple of questions:
1) Can the bottom of the awning arms be removed from the trailer and placed so that the arms are in a vertical position when the awning is fully extended?
Yes. The Carefree Fiesta awning can have the arms released from the trailer bracket and staked in the vertical position. They call it the carport position. I’ve actually done one and not the other. Put the front one vertical to avoid walking into the angled arm and leave the rear one angled to dry some clothes.
Attached Thumbnails
3A124BD6-B874-4CDA-B63B-CADC490F26A3.jpg  
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:16 PM   #22

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Interesting that on the classic 21, the awning arm misses the bath window, in fact it looks like the entire awning is back maybe 6-9" because on the classic it divided the rear window and missed the front entirely whereas on the 2ndG models it hits the bath but almost misses the rear passenger window.
I guess they wanted to line it up to cover the slot in the trailer for the electric awning.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:11 AM   #23

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Yes. The Carefree Fiesta awning can have the arms released from the trailer bracket and staked in the vertical position. They call it the carport position. I’ve actually done one and not the other. Put the front one vertical to avoid walking into the angled arm and leave the rear one angled to dry some clothes.
That plus the capability to have a screen room has convinced me to go with the manual awning, especially since I'm inclined to opt for the sliding thermal windows to avoid the "separating window/self opening" issues with the thermal awning windows.

Thanks for answering my questions.
IMJ in FLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:13 PM   #24

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw View Post
Window interference wouldn't be a problem I'd worry about...The only time I'm in the trailer and my manual awning is not deployed is when I stop for lunch at a rest area or to use the bathroom.
Once I park at my destination, I deploy the awning as soon as I'm level - if the wind is blowing I retract it against the (un-extended) rafters - its rock solid and still covers the door. It stays up until I'm packing up and the windows are all closed before I stow it.
The return of the manual awning actually got us thinking about a new trailer
Unfortunately we are just the opposite. We often do not put out our awning, especially if we are going to be away from the trailer for a while. I just got our pics today of our trailer in production and learned that the bathroom window will be obstructed by the awning arm. Hopefully we will be able to find a window replacement that is a slider for the bathroom. Still glad that we went with the manual awning, but very disappointed that the bathroom window is obstructed.
Mtn1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:57 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
No, you can't open the bathroom window with the awning retracted (see photo); however, the window doesn't really open all that much anyway. With the sliding windows, the bathroom window is the only one that doesn't open with the awning retracted because it's one of the three awning-type windows (we have the optional window over the drawer stack). I did have the bathroom window opened once when my husband decided to take in the awning, unbeknownst to me. When I realized what happened, you probably could have heard me on the other side of the campground. Thankfully, nothing broke and I heard my husband muttering something about "so that's why it was so hard to retract". I doubt it will happen again ....
You mention 3 awning type windows - the bathroom, optional window over drawer stack and ?? What is the other awning type window?
Old 10-23-2018, 12:18 AM   #26

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn1203 View Post
You mention 3 awning type windows - the bathroom, optional window over drawer stack and ?? What is the other awning type window?
The emergency escape window which, on the 19' and 21' is on the rear driver's side.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:23 AM   #27

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
For many reasons I would only go with a manual awning. I was considering ordering a 2018 21' but when I reached out to Escape to ask if that was an option they said NO, so lucky for us we found a 2014 that we purchased and we are very happy. I know they have changed their mind on that for the 2019 model so that alone should tell you something, but to each his own I always say.

Safe travels to all,

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:56 AM   #28

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
I wonder why ETI didn't go with the manual awning option from last year:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...pics-9859.html

It didn't have issues with bumping windows or belly bands because the arms folded up into the top.

Maybe it wasn't as durable as the Carefree Fiesta, or some people weren't setting it up correctly by folding down the arms?
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:13 AM   #29

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
I wonder why ETI didn't go with the manual awning option from last year:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...pics-9859.html

It didn't have issues with bumping windows or belly bands because the arms folded up into the top.

Maybe it wasn't as durable as the Carefree Fiesta, or some people weren't setting it up correctly by folding down the arms?
Paul: If you read towards the end of the thread there were issues with fitment at the top of the trailer due to the deep awning recess that is now in the mold.
Direct link to post:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...tml#post213119
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:45 AM   #30
AnJ

Trailer: 1974 Boler, 2018 Escape 21
2018 21 with awning windows and manual awning

We got the manual awning with the awning style windows. We were able to change our awning choice to manual mid build when ETI announced the changes. At first, the combo with the windows and awning didn't feel right not being able to open those windows, but now we are used to it and happy with our choices. You can open the bathroom window a crack without it hitting the awning arm. If you have the awning in, the three other windows that open around the dinette provide plenty of air flow.

What I'm wondering is if anyone that got the manual awning notices that it whistles while driving? We do have both the power awning track with the manual track installed over it due to changing it mid build, so I'm wondering if the noise is an isolated problem with having both tracks or if anyone else notices it with their manual awning?
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:22 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
The emergency escape window which, on the 19' and 21' is on the rear driver's side.
Thanks for that info! One more question - does the emergency escape window have a screen on it?
Jerri
Old 10-23-2018, 06:42 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn1203 View Post
Thanks for that info! One more question - does the emergency escape window have a screen on it?
Jerri
Yes, all the opening windows have screens
Old 11-14-2018, 09:17 AM   #33

Trailer: , Bigfoot 25B25RT, previously 2019 Escape 21, and Castia sd17
Closer

So I just wanted to being closer to my part of the discussion. After much thought and research on the two differing awnings offered I decided on the electric awning. Paperwork is all signed and the decisions are over.
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:54 AM   #34

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by buellfire View Post
So I just wanted to being closer to my part of the discussion. After much thought and research on the two differing awnings offered I decided on the electric awning. Paperwork is all signed and the decisions are over.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:54 AM   #35

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw View Post
Once I park at my destination, I deploy the awning as soon as I'm level - if the wind is blowing I retract it against the (un-extended) rafters - its rock solid and still covers the door. It stays up until I'm packing up and the windows are all closed before I stow it.:
Agree, this is a rigid way to partially deploy the awning. It provides a good area of shelter outside the door.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote