2018 Escape 21 manual awning - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Visual Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2018, 09:00 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 on order. former Castia sd17
2018 Escape 21 manual awning

I thought that these pictures from CADREAMING might help others with their awning decision. escape 21 awning in.jpg

escape 21 awning out.jpg

escape 21 awning out rear.jpg

escape 21 awning in window.jpg

buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 ordered
The new awning looks great. Seems to not hug the trailer more and not stick out as far when closed. Looks like two windows won't open if you had the thermal pane windows and the awning closed.

Bakes99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:31 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape 21'LE DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Yes, and and accident waiting to happen if shut on an open window.....
Old 10-20-2018, 12:39 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 19 ft Escape
Manual awning on a hot day

On a hot day boondocking we drop the manual awning low to block the facing sun. This shades the entry way and the driver's side will be in the shade. Shade now is on both sides. Open all windows and max fan...you will minimize trailer overheating in heat of the day...yes, a bit awkward ducking under the lowered awning but you may not half to drag out the generator and turn on air conditioner, if you have one. Auto awning not as versatile.
sprinkledavid@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:44 PM   #5
Site Team

While I agree the power awning can not be lowered as much as the manual unit, I always found that dropping the manual awning too low kept you from opening the door as it scrapped the awning, something the power awning eliminated.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:02 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 Escape 19' (Sold)
No, you can't open the bathroom window with the awning retracted (see photo); however, the window doesn't really open all that much anyway. With the sliding windows, the bathroom window is the only one that doesn't open with the awning retracted because it's one of the three awning-type windows (we have the optional window over the drawer stack). I did have the bathroom window opened once when my husband decided to take in the awning, unbeknownst to me. When I realized what happened, you probably could have heard me on the other side of the campground. Thankfully, nothing broke and I heard my husband muttering something about "so that's why it was so hard to retract". I doubt it will happen again ....

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 01:09 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
It will be interesting to see a 19 with a manual awning. I imagine you would not be able to open both the front and rear awning windows on the passenger side. If you did not buy the optional kitchen window there would be no ventilation on that side of the trailer. You would be relying heavily on the rear opening awning windows.
I love the look of the awning windows and what you can do with the cheaper manual awning but as we leave the awning closed much of the time it would not be a good combination for us.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:13 PM   #8
Site Team

I also found that the power awning kept itself a lot cleaner as the metal box protects the awning from the elements. No mold nor dirt from sitting.....unused.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:40 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 & Chevy Silverado 5.3L EcoTec
Window interference wouldn't be a problem I'd worry about...The only time I'm in the trailer and my manual awning is not deployed is when I stop for lunch at a rest area or to use the bathroom.
Once I park at my destination, I deploy the awning as soon as I'm level - if the wind is blowing I retract it against the (un-extended) rafters - its rock solid and still covers the door. It stays up until I'm packing up and the windows are all closed before I stow it.
The return of the manual awning actually got us thinking about a new trailer
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 01:56 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 Escape 19' (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw View Post
I retract it against the (un-extended) rafters - its rock solid and still covers the door.

Paul - At some point in time, perhaps you could post a photo of that configuration as I can't picture it in my mind ...

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote

« Soon... | - »