2018 Escape 21 manual awning - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Visual Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2018, 08:00 AM   #1

Trailer: , Bigfoot 25B25RT, previously 2019 Escape 21, and Castia sd17
2018 Escape 21 manual awning

I thought that these pictures from CADREAMING might help others with their awning decision. Click image for larger version

Name:	escape 21 awning in.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	34680

Click image for larger version

Name:	escape 21 awning out.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	34681

Name:	escape 21 awning out rear.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	34682

Name:	escape 21 awning in window.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	34683
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:14 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
The new awning looks great. Seems to not hug the trailer more and not stick out as far when closed. Looks like two windows won't open if you had the thermal pane windows and the awning closed.
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:31 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, and and accident waiting to happen if shut on an open window.....
Old 10-20-2018, 11:39 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Manual awning on a hot day

On a hot day boondocking we drop the manual awning low to block the facing sun. This shades the entry way and the driver's side will be in the shade. Shade now is on both sides. Open all windows and max fan...you will minimize trailer overheating in heat of the day...yes, a bit awkward ducking under the lowered awning but you may not half to drag out the generator and turn on air conditioner, if you have one. Auto awning not as versatile.
sprinkledavid@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:44 AM   #5

While I agree the power awning can not be lowered as much as the manual unit, I always found that dropping the manual awning too low kept you from opening the door as it scrapped the awning, something the power awning eliminated.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:02 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
No, you can't open the bathroom window with the awning retracted (see photo); however, the window doesn't really open all that much anyway. With the sliding windows, the bathroom window is the only one that doesn't open with the awning retracted because it's one of the three awning-type windows (we have the optional window over the drawer stack). I did have the bathroom window opened once when my husband decided to take in the awning, unbeknownst to me. When I realized what happened, you probably could have heard me on the other side of the campground. Thankfully, nothing broke and I heard my husband muttering something about "so that's why it was so hard to retract". I doubt it will happen again ....

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:09 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
It will be interesting to see a 19 with a manual awning. I imagine you would not be able to open both the front and rear awning windows on the passenger side. If you did not buy the optional kitchen window there would be no ventilation on that side of the trailer. You would be relying heavily on the rear opening awning windows.
I love the look of the awning windows and what you can do with the cheaper manual awning but as we leave the awning closed much of the time it would not be a good combination for us.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:13 PM   #8

I also found that the power awning kept itself a lot cleaner as the metal box protects the awning from the elements. No mold nor dirt from sitting.....unused.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:40 PM   #9

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Window interference wouldn't be a problem I'd worry about...The only time I'm in the trailer and my manual awning is not deployed is when I stop for lunch at a rest area or to use the bathroom.
Once I park at my destination, I deploy the awning as soon as I'm level - if the wind is blowing I retract it against the (un-extended) rafters - its rock solid and still covers the door. It stays up until I'm packing up and the windows are all closed before I stow it.
The return of the manual awning actually got us thinking about a new trailer
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw View Post
I retract it against the (un-extended) rafters - its rock solid and still covers the door.

Paul - At some point in time, perhaps you could post a photo of that configuration as I can't picture it in my mind ...

Jan

- Cesare Pavese
Old 10-20-2018, 02:00 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes99 View Post
The new awning looks great. Seems to not hug the trailer more and not stick out as far when closed.
I'm guessing that was intended to be "seems to hug the trailer more". While the current body still has a belly seam that prevents awning arms from sitting directly against the walls, the vertical sides of the trailer mean that there is no need to bend the awning arms as was done for the earlier Escape body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes99 View Post
Looks like two windows won't open if you had the thermal pane windows and the awning closed.
I've lost track of what combinations of window features are actually available now, but the issue would be with the windows that swing out, rather than sliders (regardless of whether they are single-pane or double-pane a.k.a. "thermal").
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:41 AM   #12

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
No, you can't open the bathroom window with the awning retracted (see photo); however, the window doesn't really open all that much anyway. With the sliding windows, the bathroom window is the only one that doesn't open with the awning retracted because it's one of the three awning-type windows (we have the optional window over the drawer stack). I did have the bathroom window opened once when my husband decided to take in the awning, unbeknownst to me. When I realized what happened, you probably could have heard me on the other side of the campground. Thankfully, nothing broke and I heard my husband muttering something about "so that's why it was so hard to retract". I doubt it will happen again ....

I have a couple of questions:
1) Can the bottom of the awning arms be removed from the trailer and placed so that the arms are in a vertical position when the awning is fully extended?
2) What color graphics do you have on your trailer?
Thanks,
Mike
IMJ in FLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:57 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
While this setup certainly would work great, it sure does not offer the nice clean lines of the electric awning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Yes, and and accident waiting to happen if shut on an open window.....
If you are standing there and closing the awning, I can't imagine anyone not noticing if a window right in front of their face where the arm goes was open or not.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:09 AM   #14

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

If you are standing there and closing the awning, I can't imagine anyone not noticing if a window right in front of their face where the arm goes was open or not.

And yet...It will happen.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:22 AM   #15

Particularly during those middle of the night thunderstorms when the wind starts rocking the trailer and you realize, oh ****, I left the awning open, dash out just when it's starting to rain, close it quickly to stay dry and smack, there goes that bath window which is always open. Perhaps the single pane slider that goes up and down is still available. You can always cover it inside with reflectix during the winter to make it more thermal.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:50 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
When it is cold and storming, our windows are closed so running out in the night would not be an issue. Still, I can't imagine that anyone could possibly forget. I certainly wouldn't if I had that combo. I don't so even less concern.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 11:31 AM   #17

1) Can the bottom of the awning arms be removed from the trailer and placed so that the arms are in a vertical position when the awning is fully extended?
2) What color graphics do you have on your trailer?

1) I believe the bottom of the arms can be placed in the vertical position but we haven't tried it. Our old awning could so I'm thinking this one is the same.
2) We went with the Silver graphics.

Jan

- Cesare Pavese
Old 10-21-2018, 02:53 PM   #18

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
We like to sit under the awning when it is raining. We're getting the manual awning and awning windows. Sure, sooner or later we'll close the awning on the window, however I'm a big boy and will accept the repair. For us, it's that simple.

Been watching these electric awning discussions on other forums for a couple of years. The electric awning is known for collapsing because of both rain and wind (bad sensor), so it's also not trouble free. I actually believe there are greater odds of repairs with the electric awning than the manual.

YMMV

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 10-21-2018, 03:03 PM   #19

Perhaps the single pane slider that goes up and down is still available.

To be honest, I wish I would have asked if they still offered that when we made our window change (didn't think of it). I loved the sliding bathroom window as it made it easy to get a hose in there to clean out the black tank.

Jan

- Cesare Pavese
Old 10-21-2018, 03:29 PM   #20

Interesting that on the classic 21, the awning arm misses the bath window, in fact it looks like the entire awning is back maybe 6-9" because on the classic it divided the rear window and missed the front entirely whereas on the 2ndG models it hits the bath but almost misses the rear passenger window.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0819.jpg