Egbert is home! - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Visual Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2013, 09:59 PM   #41

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Of course...it didn't occur to me that the bigger units have more counter space, too.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:25 AM   #42

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Another item for the new 21", the list is getting longer day by day!! Thanks for the input.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #43

The final modification...

The interior of Egbert was a little too "oaky" for me so I changed out the refer panel. Oddly enough, Dometic does not supply any panels at all, leaving it to the RV manufacturer to install whatever they want. I found a backsplash panel at Lowe's and had my son cut it to size in his shop. Egbert is now perfect for me and my style of camping...no further changes anticipated.
Attached Thumbnails
Egbert Refer Panel.jpg  
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
Old 08-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #44

very nice, a touch of glamping........
Old 08-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #45

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
That really does look good !
Old 08-26-2013, 08:16 PM   #46

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Looks great! I noticed the black furnace cover too. I bet you will think of something else eventually.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #47

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
What, they didn't have hot pink?

Looks great, Karen.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:02 PM   #48

Egbert is home, part deux...

I brought Egbert home for a test of winter camping with temps in the lower 30s to lower 40s (Fahrenheit). I was amazed that after 23 weeks in an enclosed (no power) storage unit, there were 13.2 volts on board. The first day was sunny and the solar panel held up; the next two days were very cloudy and I had to do the dirty deed and fire up the generator. I moved to a powered site the fourth day. Given that experience plus that of last September, I have concluded that the fixed solar panel can handle cloud cover or an oblique-angled sun but not both. No surprise there.

I now wonder about the efficacy of the extra insulation. The first morning there was a bit of condensation inside, but that was easily handled after the first night with some ventilation and the Maxx fan (which, by the way, will suck your socks off if a window is not cracked a little). While it was toasty warm inside with the electric heater on almost constantly to maintain a temp of 66 degrees or so, I noted that the walls behind the cushions and pillows remained very, very cold to the touch. One morning the temp inside an upper cabinet was 53 degrees while the cabin temp was 61 degrees. After heating the trailer, it was disconcerting to see a very clear exterior shadow of condensation where the wardrobe is located while the rest of the outside trailer was clear, indicating considerable heat loss. Not having an uninsulated trailer parked next door to my site, I have nothing with which to compare these observations but might have expected somewhat of a better performance from the extra insulation.

On another note, I had difficulty seeing my dry goods in an upper cabinet during the long, dark evenings so slapped a puck light in there. Problem solved.

All that being said, I am absolutely satisfied with Egbert. I wanted a four-season trailer and I got a four-season trailer. I am a happy camper.
Attached Thumbnails
Puck Light.jpg  
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
Old 02-28-2014, 04:50 PM   #49

A couple of suggestions, air circulation is your best friend in the trailer. Either installing vent holes or leaving the cabinet o/h open will allow air to balance out the interior and eliminate wet walls inside the cabinet. Use of your hood vent and the Maxx is necessary. On the windows I found leaving the window exposed to the heat and moving air help to keep the condensation down, if you close the blinds you block the air and you will have wet frames. Adding the Hypervent around and under your bed allows air and keeps the walls warmer. I had my mattress cut 2" smaller to allow the air and installed the Hypervent. Opening or venting the storage below can help if you have the spray foam underneath. But keep the air moving.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:23 PM   #50

Thank you, Jim, but I had absolutely no problem with interior condensation with the Maxx fan on low and a window slightly cracked (and never did have any condensation inside the cabinets); the walls behind the cushions and pillows were very cold but not wet. The "shadow condensation" was on the outside of the trailer and outlined (actually was an image of) the wardrobe footprint. Since the rest of the exterior was free of condensation, that means there is heat loss through the walls. I wish I had taken a picture now as that would have shown what I was talking about.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
Old 05-28-2014, 02:15 PM   #51

One final change...

I found the LED lights over the dinette too harsh in the evenings. (I know, I know, nobody on this forum ever eats in their trailer or watches television in the evenings. I do. I've had my fill of eating cold dinners outside in the rain/wind/dark and some television can help fill a dark February evening.) I took Vermilye's suggestion and bought this light filter, cut it to size, and put it inside the light fixture: Roscolux 08: Pale Gold | Lighting Filters & Gels for Live Performance Lighting, Photography & Video Production | PNTA.

For serious table work, the overhead LED is more than adequate.

BTW, after spending forty nights in Egbert over this past year, I can truly say I don't regret any options I chose, nor (just as important) do I regret any options I didn't choose.
Attached Thumbnails
Filtered LED.jpg  
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
Old 05-28-2014, 03:14 PM   #52

Karen, do you happen to have and captain lights, I found the warm light bulb exchange in that fixture to make the illumination more subtle.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:09 PM   #53

Yes, I have one captain's light over the front dinette (corner) which is my "permanent" bed. It is really bright but since I use it only for reading in bed at night, I don't find it too harsh.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
Old 05-29-2014, 09:07 PM   #54

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Very enlightening and informative thread.

Karen, Egbert is beautiful. Your family and ETI has done a great job and you all can be very proud of this labor of love.

I'll be heading up to BC to pick mine up next month. More pics tomorrow.

Mark
Blizzy and Dakota (Da Boyz)
MarksAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:16 PM   #55

Trailer: Working on my build list
How's the solar now you've had a chance to camp with it a little? I've been wondering if I should get two panels to help with the low winter sun you mentioned here in the PNW. I'd like to avoid the expense and hassle of a generator if possible.

I admire what you've done with Egbert. You're giving me great inspiration.
WestEnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:27 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestEnder View Post
How's the solar now you've had a chance to camp with it a little? I've been wondering if I should get two panels to help with the low winter sun you mentioned here in the PNW. I'd like to avoid the expense and hassle of a generator if possible.

I admire what you've done with Egbert. You're giving me great inspiration.
If you are going with the ETI installed panel 1 should do it - now 160 watts. I have 2 - but they are only 95 watts each.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:32 PM   #57

The solar panel (95 watts) is great and has kept up with all my needs for the most part--even in canopied (and mostly cloudy) Fort Ebey in the summer. I camped in the open in February and got a little nervous by the third cloudy day. I probably would have been able to make it through but just didn't want to chance not having enough juice to fire up the furnace first thing in the morning so I moved to a powered site. Keep in mind, I don't use a lot of power: furnace, LED lights, music (all day even if I'm not there), television (winter evenings), and charging my tablet. And it's my understanding that the factory-installed panel is now 160 watts? The only inverter I use is a 375-watt unit to charge my tablet (Amazon.com: Tripp Lite PV375 Portable Auto Inverter 375W 12V DC to AC 120V 5-15R 2 Outlet: Electronics).
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
Old 05-29-2014, 10:39 PM   #58

One more comment: I have identical quadruplet granddaughters and they always remark how small Egbert is (compared with their trailer) when they come inside, but they all hunker down and enjoy sitting at the dinette drawing and yakking away. They love Egbert!
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
Old 05-29-2014, 11:05 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Thank you! The laminate is Formica Mineral Olivine Radiance Finish (3447-RD) and the vinyl is Congoleum Ultima Sandstone (Jalapeno). Keep in mind that there is quite an upcharge for custom vinyl as Escape is only paying about $6 per square meter for their product...you pick up the difference in price between their product and your pick and it can be hefty.
Hefty is an understatement. We wanted a solid color vinyl floor and there are not many choices, be careful, if you fall in love with one of Armstrong"s commercial grade products like we did, it cost more than the custom fabric we ordered from Sailrite.
Bcdonaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:42 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcdonaher View Post
Hefty is an understatement.
The upcharge was a surprise to me and had I known beforehand, I probably wouldn't have gone for it. But in retrospect, I'm glad it happened the way it did. I had six months between down payment and pick-up (my choice) and needed all that time to make decisions. I was determined that this would be my first and last trailer, and I truly wanted to do it right and not have any regrets. Someone said a few days ago that he spent a couple of hours a day on the forum just reading. I also did that and it was worth every minute as there is so much information to be gleaned.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali