Egbert is home! - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Visual Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2013, 10:59 PM   #41

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Of course...it didn't occur to me that the bigger units have more counter space, too.

Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:25 AM   #42
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Another item for the new 21", the list is getting longer day by day!! Thanks for the input.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:04 PM   #43

The final modification...

The interior of Egbert was a little too "oaky" for me so I changed out the refer panel. Oddly enough, Dometic does not supply any panels at all, leaving it to the RV manufacturer to install whatever they want. I found a backsplash panel at Lowe's and had my son cut it to size in his shop. Egbert is now perfect for me and my style of camping...no further changes anticipated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Egbert Refer Panel.jpg (214.5 KB, 111 views)
Bellingham, Washington
Old 08-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #44
Site Team

very nice, a touch of glamping........
Old 08-26-2013, 08:14 PM   #45

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
That really does look good !
Old 08-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #46

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Looks great! I noticed the black furnace cover too. I bet you will think of something else eventually.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:42 PM   #47

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
What, they didn't have hot pink?

Looks great, Karen.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:02 PM   #48

Egbert is home, part deux...

I brought Egbert home for a test of winter camping with temps in the lower 30s to lower 40s (Fahrenheit). I was amazed that after 23 weeks in an enclosed (no power) storage unit, there were 13.2 volts on board. The first day was sunny and the solar panel held up; the next two days were very cloudy and I had to do the dirty deed and fire up the generator. I moved to a powered site the fourth day. Given that experience plus that of last September, I have concluded that the fixed solar panel can handle cloud cover or an oblique-angled sun but not both. No surprise there.

I now wonder about the efficacy of the extra insulation. The first morning there was a bit of condensation inside, but that was easily handled after the first night with some ventilation and the Maxx fan (which, by the way, will suck your socks off if a window is not cracked a little). While it was toasty warm inside with the electric heater on almost constantly to maintain a temp of 66 degrees or so, I noted that the walls behind the cushions and pillows remained very, very cold to the touch. One morning the temp inside an upper cabinet was 53 degrees while the cabin temp was 61 degrees. After heating the trailer, it was disconcerting to see a very clear exterior shadow of condensation where the wardrobe is located while the rest of the outside trailer was clear, indicating considerable heat loss. Not having an uninsulated trailer parked next door to my site, I have nothing with which to compare these observations but might have expected somewhat of a better performance from the extra insulation.

On another note, I had difficulty seeing my dry goods in an upper cabinet during the long, dark evenings so slapped a puck light in there. Problem solved.

All that being said, I am absolutely satisfied with Egbert. I wanted a four-season trailer and I got a four-season trailer. I am a happy camper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Puck Light.jpg (122.8 KB, 28 views)
Bellingham, Washington
Old 02-28-2014, 05:50 PM   #49
Site Team

A couple of suggestions, air circulation is your best friend in the trailer. Either installing vent holes or leaving the cabinet o/h open will allow air to balance out the interior and eliminate wet walls inside the cabinet. Use of your hood vent and the Maxx is necessary. On the windows I found leaving the window exposed to the heat and moving air help to keep the condensation down, if you close the blinds you block the air and you will have wet frames. Adding the Hypervent around and under your bed allows air and keeps the walls warmer. I had my mattress cut 2" smaller to allow the air and installed the Hypervent. Opening or venting the storage below can help if you have the spray foam underneath. But keep the air moving.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:23 PM   #50

Thank you, Jim, but I had absolutely no problem with interior condensation with the Maxx fan on low and a window slightly cracked (and never did have any condensation inside the cabinets); the walls behind the cushions and pillows were very cold but not wet. The "shadow condensation" was on the outside of the trailer and outlined (actually was an image of) the wardrobe footprint. Since the rest of the exterior was free of condensation, that means there is heat loss through the walls. I wish I had taken a picture now as that would have shown what I was talking about.

Bellingham, Washington