From Chilliwack to Southern California - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Visual Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2014, 05:17 PM   #41

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
We also have been debating how to get the new trailer past the Seattle metro area. Going to Chlliwack, we hit I 405 about 3:30 PM and things rapidly ground to a halt from there. Going back, we took 3 in BC to Osoyoos and saw lot of beautiful campgrounds along the way. But I don't think we can get plates before we go and some say going back into Canada after you pick up the trailer in Sumas can be a problem. If we would get the same gal that we had crossing the first time, it would be. Will have to see. Loren

Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:47 PM   #42

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Karen, I've taken yours and Don's advise, and going for it. However, I did reschedule for the 29th, we are spending Christmas in Sacramento, then onto Chilliwack on the 25th. Thanks for all the help!

Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:25 PM   #43

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
I've taken I 15 through Salt Lake City a couple of times, and while I didn't enjoy it, it is nothing compared to some of the Eastern cities such as Washington DC or Atlanta...
Old 12-05-2014, 09:00 PM   #44
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Not looking forward to my Xmas week driving through San Francisco - when I lived there in 1970 I could cross the Bay Bridge at 80 mph. My son in law advised me now it can take 80 minutes to go the 2 miles...........

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:03 PM   #45

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
No lie. I grew up in the SLC area in the 60's and 70's, and traffic on I-15 was pretty much nonexistent. How things have changed there.
And when I grew up in Seattle there was very little traffic on I-5. Oh, wait, there was no I-5 when I was growing up.

Just looking at a history of I-5 one sentence got me to laughing, “With its opening, motorists can travel without stopping from the Canadian border to the northern California state line.” Sure they can.
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 01:02 AM   #46

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A - "The Pullman"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Not looking forward to my Xmas week driving through San Francisco - when I lived there in 1970 I could cross the Bay Bridge at 80 mph. My son in law advised me now it can take 80 minutes to go the 2 miles...........
And now, depending on which direction you cross any of the bridges in the area, you pay a toll, even on the golden gate.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 02:39 PM   #47

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The Golden Gate Bridge toll system looks much like the systems for bridges in Vancouver, B.C. and the toll highway (407) across Toronto, Ontario.

For regular commuters the cost is a concern, but for visitors the cost isn't important and there's one extra administrative task to take care of - paying the toll, typically online. Computer systems which read license plates have eliminated the delays and hassle of toll booths.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #48

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The Golden Gate Bridge toll system looks much like the systems for bridges in Vancouver, B.C. and the toll highway (407) across Toronto, Ontario.

For regular commuters the cost is a concern, but for visitors the cost isn't important and there's one extra administrative task to take care of - paying the toll, typically online. Computer systems which read license plates have eliminated the delays and hassle of toll booths.
That's true, the newer systems can read a plate and toll roads are much quicker as a result. When they opened the new SH130 high speed toll road here in South Texas from Seguin to Round Rock, they allowed a team from Hennessy/Cadillac to test drive the Hennessy CTS-V the day before opening. Hennessy got free publicity as to how fast their supercar could go, and the state got real-world testing of their license plate reading system. The Hennessy reached 220 mph, and the system read the plates no problem.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:17 PM   #49

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2005 Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
We also have been debating how to get the new trailer past the Seattle metro area. Going to Chlliwack, we hit I 405 about 3:30 PM and things rapidly ground to a halt from there. Going back, we took 3 in BC to Osoyoos and saw lot of beautiful campgrounds along the way. But I don't think we can get plates before we go and some say going back into Canada after you pick up the trailer in Sumas can be a problem. If we would get the same gal that we had crossing the first time, it would be. Will have to see. Loren
After going to and from Chilliwack via I 5 through Seattle, the I 405 was much easier, at least for me. If you can, time your trip to avoid commuter hours. Also there is a Costco for gas not far off the freeway in Federal Way. (If you are a member). I was blissfully ignorant and had no license plate, and took delivery in Canada, which was being done at that time, so I guess I lucked out.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:48 AM   #50

Trailer: Escape 17B (2014)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I've taken I 15 through Salt Lake City a couple of times, and while I didn't enjoy it, it is nothing compared to some of the Eastern cities such as Washington DC or Atlanta...
Urban freeways often are congested, but they usually don't have the high-speed traffic that adds to the stress of driving on I-15 near Salt Lake City. Under normal conditions, someone traveling the posted speed of 65 mph could guilty of impeding traffic. It can remind you of a stock-car race, which is why some people call this highway section the "Mormon 500". A recent survey showed traffic averages over 70 mph here, so the State is responding by raising the speed limit! The new 70 mph signs are going up Monday, for the 85-mile section of urban I-15, from North Ogden to Spanish Fork.

-Dave