From Chilliwack to Southern California - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Visual Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2014, 10:39 AM   #61

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Thanks to everyone for the information. This should help a lot!

Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:45 PM   #62

Trailer: Escape 19' 2011
Might I suggest another route?

If I were travelling from Chilliwack to Southern California I'd be tempted to use Hwy 97. Over to Osoyoos and then south. This avoids the mess in Seattle and Portland. If one stays on Hwy 97 it meets I5 at Weed CA. This may not be best in winter, 97 can be deadly if there's a storm.

From 97 at Klamath Falls you can cut east to Hwy 395 at Alturas. Then follow 395 all the way south. This trades Sacramento traffic for Reno/Carson. But 395 between Minden and Bishop can be worse than 97 with bad weather.

Or, from Reno you could go east again to Hwy 95. Straighter roads than 395 but likely puts you through Las Vegas. So a trade off between Reno/Carson and Vegas for Sacramento. Hwy 95 can also be difficult in bad weather, snow and/or wind, but likely better than 395.

Or really take a scenic route. From Chilliwack get over to Hwy 101. This will likely take a few ferries to avoid Seattle though. Then there are no major cities or traffic till you hit San Francisco. Not much chance of snow on this route but it would be very slow. I don't know what the traffic is like south of San Francisco as we try to avoid Southern California. (Southern California here defined as the portion south of Redding).

All that said, I'd probably just take I5 in the winter and one of the first three choices the other three seasons.

Hope this is of use to someone. Thanks.

currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:51 PM   #63

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
What Hugh said. The 97 is a great drive in decent weather, but not so much in a storm. The 97 comes right through Bend, where we live and then South to Hugh's neck of the woods.
Oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 02:16 PM   #64

I wish it were summer, but since its not, I will stay on I5 unless a snow storm hits. If that happens, I will try and work my way over to 101 down to the SF Bay Area, then cross over to 99 south. Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:56 PM   #65

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
I think I5 is your best bet. I'd recommend using 405 to get around Seattle, and 205 to bypass downtown Portland.

You're better off on I5 south from the Bay Area. 99 has LOTS of construction going, generally more fog, and long stretches of crappy pavement. Just avoid holiday periods and keep a weather eye on the Grapevine as you get near. If it snows the CHP will close it in a heartbeat. If you have to wait out some weather, there's a crazy posh RV park in Bakersfield: Bakersfield RV Resort - Bakersfield, CA - RV Park Reviews

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:19 PM   #66

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba55 View Post
I wish it were summer, but since its not, I will stay on I5 unless a snow storm hits. If that happens, I will try and work my way over to 101 down to the SF Bay Area, then cross over to 99 south. Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.
Just be aware that the East/West crossing to Oregon coast south of Portland can be hairy in winter. Still remember James Kim's tragic end out there in Dec. '07.

Agree should avoid 99, then take 58 across Tehachipi- no need to go to LA to catch I-15.
Rossue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:36 PM   #67
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
James Kim died because the family relied on GPS instead of common sense. And it was a tragedy!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:41 PM   #68

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2005 Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wray View Post
I think I5 is your best bet. I'd recommend using 405 to get around Seattle, and 205 to bypass downtown Portland.

You're better off on I5 south from the Bay Area. 99 has LOTS of construction going, generally more fog, and long stretches of crappy pavement. Just avoid holiday periods and keep a weather eye on the Grapevine as you get near. If it snows the CHP will close it in a heartbeat. If you have to wait out some weather, there's a crazy posh RV park in Bakersfield: Bakersfield RV Resort - Bakersfield, CA - RV Park Reviews

Bruce
Good advice. Another alternative is to go from I-5 down and over to 99 south of Sacramento as there are many amenities and the stop lights have been eliminated, and then take 58 over to I-15 as Rossue suggested.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:02 AM   #69

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
James Kim died because the family relied on GPS instead of common sense.
James Kim died because he made an incredible string of very bad decisions... and there was no GPS involved at all.

I agree that common sense is required in any decision, regardless of the tools or technology used. At the very least, anyone driving in unfamiliar areas should take away the lesson that road signs exist to be read.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:19 AM   #70

I wasn't aware of the James Kim incident. Was he returning from Chilliwack with a new Escape? I am starting to second guess my decision to pick up my Escape at this time of year??