It's Friday! - 2017 and beyond! - Page 123 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Visual Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2019, 01:01 PM   #2441

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Well you guys made me go check the spare on my 2018 F150. Full size here so no problems.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 01:02 PM   #2442

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
One I pulled this morning at the salvage yard was one of the regular tires off a RAM 1500. Looked almost new. It's only a 17' rim but I mounted and tested the thing and it works. I tried getting a regular tire and rim yesterday and the rim would have had to be ordered. I'm gonna use this one just to get me to the nearest repair shop if I have a flat.
Monday morning I'm on the road to Chilliwack and I don't need last minute issues like this.
I almost forgot, I found out about the spare tire problem when I mounted a TPMS to the spare tire.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:06 PM   #2443

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
Tire worked out well. Pulled one, almost new, off a 2004 Ram 1500. It's on 17" rims and my main tires are 20" but it works. Plus it only cost me $24 tire and rim.

Started out basic 0300 USMCR, Parris Island PLT 126 '65 but later on went over to the dark side. At different times and different places in the Army I got to work with 3rd Force Recon and later on in much more civilized conditions 2d Force Recon.

USMC OCS in 76 and commissioned in 77. Air Control for the first 5 years then infantry, 0302 in the reserve for the next 18 years. Retired in 2000 after 23 years active/reserve. My BIL is retired Army. We have lots of fun conversations with a lot of mutual respect. Every service has a role to play and we wouldn’t be who we are as a nation without all of the services.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 02:49 PM   #2444

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
and they have been shorting the consumer for awhile, my 2014 has a temp spare and I carry a full sized wheel and tire also in the bed since discovering that issue a couple of years ago when I purchased new tires.
This very disappointing . Was looking at the Ram truck , puts that in the con side . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 03:31 PM   #2445

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
It is certainly an irritant, but given the cost of a new truck the cost of having to buy a tire and wheel to have a tow-ready spare is not that big a deal. If I was just driving the truck as a daily driver around town I would probably just stick with the temporary use spare and it would be more than adequate. The spares on my 1998 have never been on the ground in all our travels....but that probably means my number is due to come up sooner rather than later.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:09 PM   #2446

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I think Jeep Wrangier is the only vehicle now with 5 matching wheels and tires.....
Old 06-15-2019, 05:17 PM   #2447

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
It is certainly an irritant, but given the cost of a new truck the cost of having to buy a tire and wheel to have a tow-ready spare is not that big a deal. If I was just driving the truck as a daily driver around town I would probably just stick with the temporary use spare and it would be more than adequate. The spares on my 1998 have never been on the ground in all our travels....but that probably means my number is due to come up sooner rather than later.
I know about new trucks , Very expensive . Looked at all ,Toyota Tundra , Ford 150 and the Ram peaked our interest . Just had our 1992 Ford F-250 to get the plugs changed pvc valve and was talking to our mechanic , he said our truck still has lots of life in her . 133,000 . It’s in great condition . Had a seal go after we got home from picking up the trailer so decided to have trans rebuilt . She was over 100,000 then . We have a full spare . Once we did need to use spare to get home and then get all new tires .Lots to consider insurance , tags which are terrible in California . Just was looking and when you do that they won’t leave you alone . Didn’t know about the spare tires . So that goes in the disappointment column after what they are asking for new trucks . Money is getting tighter and may just stick with what we know . Just don’t want to spend all that money and then need to get a proper spare and will it fit where spares go under truck bed ? Pat
Old 06-15-2019, 05:41 PM   #2448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I know about new trucks , Very expensive . Looked at all ,Toyota Tundra , Ford 150 and the Ram peaked our interest . Just had our 1992 Ford F-250 to get the plugs changed pvc valve and was talking to our mechanic , he said our truck still has lots of life in her . 133,000 . It’s in great condition . Had a seal go after we got home from picking up the trailer so decided to have trans rebuilt . She was over 100,000 then . We have a full spare . Once we did need to use spare to get home and then get all new tires .Lots to consider insurance , tags which are terrible in California . Just was looking and when you do that they won’t leave you alone . Didn’t know about the spare tires . So that goes in the disappointment column after what they are asking for new trucks . Money is getting tighter and may just stick with what we know . Just don’t want to spend all that money and then need to get a proper spare and will it fit where spares go under truck bed ? Pat
Yes, a matching tire and wheel will still fit under the truck - the outside diameter of the temporary spare tire is the same as that of the regular tires, and my full sized spare fits there just fine. Still love my old Ram but with 230K on it I figured it was getting a little long in the tooth to be hauling us up and down the Rockies. But with only 133K and a new transmission I'd stick with old faithful, trucks will last a good long time if properly cared for and if it's been a good truck so far then it sounds like a keeper.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:45 PM   #2449

Quote:
Yes, a matching tire and wheel will still fit under the truck - the outside diameter of the temporary spare tire is the same as that of the regular tires, and my full sized spare fits there just fine. Still love my old Ram but with 230K on it I figured it was getting a little long in the tooth to be hauling us up and down the Rockies. But with only 133K and a new transmission I'd stick with old faithful, trucks will last a good long time if properly cared for and if it's been a good truck so far then it sounds like a keeper.
So far I think we will just stay this course . Wow glad to hear your 1998 Ram has a lot of mileage . That speaks well for Ram trucks .One of the son-in-laws has a Ram truck and they are a dodge family .Really like the looks of the new Ram and see a lot of Ram’s here in town . So if for any reason we decide to buy new ,the Ram is on the top of our list . Now that I know about that spare I would use that as a bargaining chip.
Alright glad a full size spare fits under bed ! Pat
Old 06-15-2019, 06:55 PM   #2450

Quote:
So far I think we will just stay this course . Wow glad to hear your 1998 Ram has a lot of mileage . That speaks well for Ram trucks .One of the son-in-laws has a Ram truck and they are a dodge family .Really like the looks of the new Ram and see a lot of Ram’s here in town . So if for any reason we decide to buy new ,the Ram is on the top of our list . Now that I know about that spare I would use that as a bargaining chip.
Alright glad a full size spare fits under bed ! Pat
Every 20 years we get a new rig...
Attached Thumbnails
1999.jpg   2019.jpg  
Old 06-15-2019, 07:16 PM   #2451

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Silverado’s come with a full size spare
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 11:08 PM   #2452

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
Well you guys made me go check the spare on my 2018 F150. Full size here so no problems.
I asked the salesman the same question. Yes, he said, it's a full size spare.

And that was true, it was a full size spare. It was only later that I also learned that it was a different size wheel diameter and the tire was labeled not for towing.

This on a vehicle with a tow package. So there's "full size" and there's "same size and duty rating as the other 4 wheels and tires."

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:24 AM   #2453

Quote:
Every 20 years we get a new rig...
Nice looking 1998 David ! Even have body mounding like our 1992 ! The new Tundra’s didn’t have or even as a accessory . Your new white truck is our color too and what we would want . Pat
Old 06-16-2019, 06:15 AM   #2454

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I asked the salesman the same question. Yes, he said, it's a full size spare.

And that was true, it was a full size spare. It was only later that I also learned that it was a different size wheel diameter and the tire was labeled not for towing.

This on a vehicle with a tow package. So there's "full size" and there's "same size and duty rating as the other 4 wheels and tires."

Ron
Ron, they are on to us, full sized now has a new definition.....maybe matching wheels and tires would be a better description...
Old 06-16-2019, 06:47 AM   #2455

They are getting tricky in their descriptions these days....most people would rightfully assume that a "full size spare tire" is a regular tire, but not the case - this is from the Ram manual:

Full Size Spare — If Equipped
The full size spare is for temporary emergency use only.
This tire may look like the originally equipped tire on the
front or rear axle of your vehicle, but it is not. This spare
tire may have limited tread life. When the tread is worn to
the tread wear indicators, the temporary use full size spare
tire needs to be replaced. Since it is not the same as your
original equipment tire, replace (or repair) the original
equipment tire and reinstall on the vehicle at the first
opportunity.
Limited Use Spare — If Equipped
The limited use spare tire is for temporary emergency use
only. This tire is identified by a label located on the limited
use spare wheel. This label contains the driving limitations
for this spare. This tire may look like the original equipped
tire on the front or rear axle of your vehicle, but it is not.
Installation of this limited use spare tire affects vehicle
handling. Since it is not the same as your original equipment
tire, replace (or repair) the original equipment tire
and reinstall on the vehicle at the first opportunity.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:40 AM   #2456

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Quote:
Nice looking 1998 David ! Even have body mounding like our 1992 ! The new Tundra’s didn’t have or even as a accessory . Your new white truck is our color too and what we would want . Pat
Pat If you are dealing on a new truck and you inform the sales person that the spare has to be identical to the other tires or else no deal I'm pretty sure you'll get the tire you want. Somebody might say "oh we can't do that" then when you get up to leave they'll announce they need to speak with the sales manager. In all probability he or she will come back and say that you're in luck and that you can have your tire. Of course I would check the spare before I left the dealership.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:07 AM   #2457

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I think Jeep Wrangier is the only vehicle now with 5 matching wheels and tires.....
I'm content with just having a matching tire mounted underneath my 4 Runner.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:47 AM   #2458

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Pat If you are dealing on a new truck and you inform the sales person that the spare has to be identical to the other tires or else no deal I'm pretty sure you'll get the tire you want. Somebody might say "oh we can't do that" then when you get up to leave they'll announce they need to speak with the sales manager. In all probability he or she will come back and say that you're in luck and that you can have your tire. Of course I would check the spare before I left the dealership.
���� not many dealers out there would loose a sale for the cost of a wheel and tire. Don’t forget their cost is a fraction of what you pay.....
My 2016 F150 has a full size spare and matching tire, but the wheel is different . Didn’t realize this until I actually put it on truck when I was rotating them. That’s a minor irritant since I would like to incorporate spare as part of standard rotation.��
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:13 AM   #2459

Quote:
Thankyou and exactly what we had in mind now that I have that information ! Pat
Old 06-16-2019, 10:15 AM   #2460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
���� not many dealers out there would loose a sale for the cost of a wheel and tire. Don’t forget their cost is a fraction of what you pay.....
My 2016 F150 has a full size spare and matching tire, but the wheel is different . Didn’t realize this until I actually put it on truck when I was rotating them. That’s a minor irritant since I would like to incorporate spare as part of standard rotation.��
Yes I hear you ! Pat