Our Little Cottage! 19' Escape in production - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Visual Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2012, 11:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Our Little Cottage! 19' Escape in production

Yay! Tammy sent us the first pics of our 19' - The Cottage is finally in the production line! We got our first photos and thought we'd post some of them here, as well as letting you know about what options we chose and why.

Another lifetime ago I had a little 15' 1976 Trillium, and since Glenn & I have been together (7 years) we've been looking on & off for something used. Living on Vancouver Island limits our ability to see a lot of units; frustration at what we saw available locally ( 30 yr old Boler & 12 yr old Casita) led us eventually to the Fiberglass RV forum and then here. From the moment I saw the website photos of Escape I knew instantly it was the right trailer for us. This will be the first trailer for us together as we enter our senior years.

Already firm on the perceived need for a complete shower, we decided on the 19 v/s the 17 because of the Queen bed. The 5.0 was out because we need the truck bed to bring Glenn's favourite toy - a 1400 Kawasaki Concours. (With 2 Kows and a Hog already in the garage Glenn thought we should name the trailer "The Big COW" - Cottage On Wheels. I guess that would be ok - his first choice for names was "Drag Queen" hmmmmmm)

Initially we asked for the following options:
Equalizer Hitch (because of the weight of the motorcycle in the tug)
Extra Insulation & dble pane windows (just renoed our home thusly and love it)
Exterior shower (for our daxie, Bella)
Solar Power - a luxury we thought would be cool. 8)
LED lights (may as well since we're getting solar)
Dual 6v batteries (same reason)
Air Conditioner for our dreams of snowbirding.
Removable power cord (Glenn wanted it and all he had to say was "bugs" and it worked for me)

The artistic, musical side of me wanted to do my own interior design thing, so we opted for our own choices of fabric, formica etc.

Later as we drooled over the rest of the options available we added a bit at a time:
Stainless Steel sink, stove, stove cover
Window over sink
Opening Bathroom window
Cabinet door at end of bench
Storage Box
Bike Rack Ready
Additional Brake Lights (because of the bike rack)

Man it adds up quickly, but by now we've become so invested that we have to make it perfect! After scaring ourselves silly by reading all the posts here about surge protection, we added that last. Poor Tammy - she's re-sent our build list probably a dozen times...

Did we forget anything?

Here are the first photos:

They have already added the bike ready rack, extra brake lights and cut the space for the exterior hatch.

Here you can see the cutouts for the exterior shower and bathroom window as well as the extra insulation.

This one shows the window over the sink and a good view of the extra bracing for where the cabinets will go. It's also good to see the wheel wells to understand why things are positioned as they are.

We are so excited! This process has been so much fun, especially the part reading all the posts from everyone. We hope these photos are useful for others wondering how it all comes together.

Bye for now

Rosemary
Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Re: Our Little Cottage! 19' Escape in production

Rosemary, it looks wonderful!

We did not think that we wanted the window over the sink but we have it and I am so glad. It is the main view out of that side when up and about.

The other item I would highly recommend is the dual water heater but since you have had a Trillium, I take it you may not want that. You have a good list there.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:39 AM   #3

Thanks, Cathy.

Actually we did ask for the dual water heater. It was one of the later additions that I forgot to mention. Glad to hear that some of our choices are ones that others have made and are pleased with. Most of our ideas are ones we decided on based on the sharing of ideas on this forum.

Rosemary
Old 09-04-2012, 10:55 AM   #4

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th

I was on the fence with the window in the bathroom but I am very glad we got it now. I am pretty sure that small space would be unpleasant without it .
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:04 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19

Ask to get the opening window over sink, between it and the bathroom opening window and maxxair fan, you will be ok in rainy weather.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #6

Trailer: 2012 Escape 5.0

Hi Rosemary,

We have a 5.0 with dual solar panels (because Reese got a deal on some) and dual 6V batteries. We also got the LED package.

We just spent 2 weeks boon-docking in partial shade. The battery level never got below 95%! And that included watching some TV and movies, as well as charging our ipods, phones, radio, etc.

We're VERY happy with these choices!

Sharon
shrncnddck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #7

I notice the new refer vents thru the ceiling vs side vent?
Old 09-04-2012, 06:33 PM   #8

That was an astute observation! I hadn't noticed the vent in the roof, but you may be right. I'll ask Tammy when I speak to her next.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:16 AM   #9

My 201 19ft was the first ever off the line with extra tail lights. The factory copied my idea. I ordered all the options you did. It is a nice unit and I hope you have fun with it.
Chuck
Old 09-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #10

Thanks Chuck. The tail lights were a great idea - the more safety features the better. It has been an interesting process creating a custom trailer. We came very close to buying a Lance off the lot, but couldn't reconcile the price; although it is a fine trailer, it just seemed alot for a unit that didn't fit what we really wanted. That was before we knew about Escape, which is turning out to be perfect for us. Now that we're committed and the dream is becoming reality it's very helpful to hear everyone's endorsements of our choices

Thanks Shannon - the solar seemed like a luxury choice for us. Glad to hear it is serving you well.

Jim, Tammy sent me an email saying "with the new 19’ Escape molds we have created a place for the upper Fridge Vent to be installed on the roof." So you were right!

Re the extra windows: because we are getting the dble pane windows, Tammy wanted to be sure we knew the extra windows are single pane. We decided that it would probably be worth it to get the opening one in the bathroom for the reasons MacRae said, but didn't want to compromise the insulating integrity any more by doing so in the kitchen; I hope we can get the same air flow in the rain with the fan, cracking open the door or one of the front windows.

Rosemary
Old 09-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #11

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th

Chuck, great idea with the extra lights. I am very gald we got them on ours. it is a huge pet peave of mine to be following any vehicle with poor lights on the back. When I am stoping our trailer I want everyone behind me to know and to please not run into the back of me. I figure the best i can do is give who ever is back there the most warning posible. In my opinion they should be standard on all trailers. A great safety feature.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #12

Rosemary,
I could be wrong on this but I do not believe the small window in kitchen is insulated, as the same is true for the bath. Therefore if it is single pane then you may as well get an opening one. All the other windows in the Escape would be subject to rain unless you use the awning which you may not want to in the rain, but the opening kitchen and bath are awning type openings and do very well in inclement weather with the MaxxAir roof vent. All the side windows other than the kitchen are double paned, unless my preposition is incorrect as stated above about the kitchen, even the door glass is double. The front and rear are not double paned. I find I leave the kitchen and bath open 24/7 except when towing.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #13

Hi Jim,

Thanks -I really appreciate how in touch you are with the trailer world and for all your knowledge and feedback

I was concerned about the windows so called Tammy. She checked with Reace who said if you order thermal windows, the "fixed" sink window is thermal, but the opening one is not. Also, with the thermal package, all the windows except the front are thermal; the front window is not - the rock guard is supposed to compensate somewhat for that; the back window is thermal. Don't know if this is a recent change or not, but based on my conversation with Tammy we're happy to leave our order the way it is.

Thanks again to everyone for all the sharing and ideas.

Rosemary
Old 09-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #14

I'm glad we cleared up that mystery, yes, I checked, my rear is double- paned that is---
Old 09-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #15

This week's photos on our Cottage in production:

This one shows the cutout space for the (new) 4.3 fridge. The smaller fridge size leaves a larger space for the microwave shelf; since there is more room, Reace is adding another cubby over top. We are not getting the micro so there will be doors on both openings; we plan on using the space for a pantry.

This galley photo shows the 110 outlet with an additional 12v outlet just beneath it. We were initially concerned that there may not be enough room to use these outlets with the counter extension in the down position, but Tammy assured us there is enough airspace between the extension and the cabinet wall to accommodate plugins.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #16

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A

Your " Little Cottage " is not so little .... so nice to get those production photos - looks great .....you must be getting pretty excited !
Old 09-19-2012, 11:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabi & Wolf
Your " Little Cottage " is not so little .... so nice to get those production photos - looks great .....you must be getting pretty excited !
Yes, we ARE getting pretty excited. Last week's photos didn't really show much change so I didn't post them, but we're hoping for BIG changes this week since the factory is closed next week (for their annual holidays,) and the day after they reopen is the day we pick The Cottage up. Our living room is cluttered with all the things we think we'll need to stock the trailer with for the trip once we leave the factory.

Not so little? You bet! Once we saw that queen bed there was no turning back!

Rosemary
Old 09-20-2012, 12:44 PM   #18

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennrose
Quote:
Yes, we ARE getting pretty excited. Last week's photos didn't really show much change so I didn't post them, but we're hoping for BIG changes this week since the factory is closed next week (for their annual holidays,) and the day after they reopen is the day we pick The Cottage up. Our living room is cluttered with all the things we think we'll need to stock the trailer with for the trip once we leave the factory.

Not so little? You bet! Once we saw that queen bed there was no turning back!

Rosemary
They work to make it a special experience - we can tell you Confidently , that will be very very good day ! They surpassed our expectations for sure !
Nice you have a truck , that allows you to take along most everything you need ( I think ) it does pile up for sure. We where with our Liberty which has limited capacity , but then again you'll have room for so much more in your 19 . Even the 15 has very generous well designed storage . Wish you " Happy RVing " !
Old 09-21-2012, 12:20 AM   #19

Quote:

They work to make it a special experience - we can tell you Confidently , that will be very very good day ! They surpassed our expectations for sure !
Thank you so much!

The forum has been incredibly helpful, and it is so true that Tammy & Reace work to make things special. How's this for surpassing expectations? Tammy called today to confirm that we wanted the hinge table in the front. This was unexpected - I was both shocked and delighted at the same time. Before there had been any talk on the forum about changing the table in the front dinette we had thought it might be a good idea, and briefly mentioned it to Tammy; but for some reason we let the idea go, thinking it was too much to worry about with all the other options we were considering.

After they began building our trailer, some discussion began on the forum about this very possibility: http://escapeforum.org/index.php?topic=2242.0
This started us thinking about the hinged table again and wishing we had gone for it -oh well, it was too late now since they have to know before they install the insulation and headliner (so they can add extra bracing.)

Well, Tammy had written it down and they had gone ahead and put the extra bracing in, just in case we decided we wanted it after all. OMG! How great is that? For 3 weeks I had been quietly regretting that we hadn't ordered it that way and today Tammy said we could do it. Both of us are thrilled.

It does mean that the table is a little smaller and doesn't slide, but we are having it cut like Paul S:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S.
I had Escape cut enough off the corner of the table by the washroom to allow a person to get by and the other corner by the door was left square.
Hopefully we will eventually have a photo of it and we can post it here.

We're smiling tonight
Old 09-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #20

Trailer: 2012 15-A

You will be pleased with the product you will get from Tammy and Reace!! We are. Congratulations!!1

Scott

Kærnehuset is offline   Reply With Quote